Pages That Mention South Carolina
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
A I A
AIAPANGO, the head settlement of the district of the akaldia mayor of Chaleo in Nueva Espana. It contains 100 families of Indians, and is annexed to the curacy of Amecaraeca, at two leagues to the s. of its capital.
AIAPATA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Carabaya in Peru, and very opulent, on account of its silver mines. The sands on the banks of the rivers here have been known so richly impregnated with this metal, that lumps of it have been at different times picked up. It is the most considerable population in the province, and the temperature is so salutary, that it is very common to meet with persons of 90 years of age, and many also of 100.
AIAPEL, a town of the province and government of Antioquia, in the new kingdom of Granada, situate on the bank of a large lake or swamp of the same name, and which is formed from the waters of the rivers Cauca, San Jorge, and others. In its district are the lavaderos, or washing places for gold, of La Cruz, San Mateo, Thuansi, Can, Ure, Man, San Pedro, and La Soledad.
AIATASTO, a large river of the province and government of Tucuman, in the district and jurisdiction of the city of Salta, on the banks of which are some pasture grounds of the same name, upon which are fed 40,000 head of neat cattle, and 6000 of horses for breeding.
AIAUIRI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Lamoa in Peru. In its vicinity are some forts, which were built by the Indians in the time of their gentilism, and now in a state of great dilapidation. There is a lake of warm water here, the bottom of which has never yet been found. The water always keeps at one height, so that it is presumed that it finds its way out through some subterraneous channel. There is also another warm
water spring at two leagues distance, which is very noxious, and, as it runs, has the property of petrifying, in like manner as the spring of water in Guancavelica.
AIAUTLA, a settlement of the head settlement of the district of the alcaldia mayor of Teutila in Nueva España, of a warm temperature, and inhabited by 100 Indian families, who support themselves by cultivating and selling the vaynilla plant. Nine leagues s. of its capital.
AICAROPA, a small river Of the province and government of Guayana, or Nueva Andalucia. It rises in the country of the Armocotos Indians, runs from e. to w. with a slight inclination to the s. and enters the Caura.
AIECTIPAC, a settlement of the head settlement of the district of Yxteapan, and alcaldia mayor of Tlapa, in Nueva España. It contains 21 Indian families, and is three leagues e. of its head settlement.
AIMARAEZ, a province and corregimiento of Peru, bounded n. w. and w. by the province of Andahuailas, of the bishopric of Guamanga, s. by Parinacocha of the same, s. e. by Ghumbivilcas, and e. by Cotabamba. It is 40 leagues in length from «. to s. and 26 in width from e. to ti). including in its figure on the w. side the last mentioned province. It js one of the most uneven soils in the kingdom, being full of lofty sierras and snowy mountains. It is on this account that its climate is very cold, excepting, however, in some vallies, where it is more temperate, and where, on some small sloping grounds, the inhabitants sow seed and grain, and cultivate fruit trees and cane plantations,
in beautiful singing birds ; and in its rivers are many sorts of fish of a fine flavour, particularly the patah. It is not without mines of gold, and laba~ deros or washing places, but these are not worked, save by a few day-labourers. In the church of the monks of San Francisco is venerated an image of the most Holy Mary, with the title of La Probezuy painted on a piece of cotton-stuff, adorned with two fine pieces of silver, the natives payitig great devotion to this superb work, from the wonderful things that have been said to have been effected through the prayers offered up to her of whom this is the semblance. This city has been the native place of,
Don Melchor de Salazar, governor of Choco, and founder of the city Toro.
Of the Doctor Don Francisco Martinez Bueno, presbyter and visitor of the bishopric of Popayan ; a man of great literature.
Of the Doctor Don Manuel de Castro y Rada ; a most exemplary curate.
Of the Father Joseph Vicuna, who, after having been a celebrated Jesuit, became a monk in the college of missions for propagating the faith in Popayan, and died whilst preaching to the Andaquies Indians.
Of the Father Estevan de Rivas, who, after having filled the title of jurist with great credit, became a Franciscan monk, and died an exemplary penitent in his convent at Cartagena.
Of the Doctor Don Francisco Felipe del Campo, professor de prima of canons in the university of Santa Fe ; a celebrated orator.
Of the Doctor Don Geronirao de Rivas, treasurer and dignitary of the holy church of Popayan, provisor and ecclesiastical governor of that bishopric.
Of the Doctor Don Joseph de Renteria, assessor of the viceroyalties of Santa Fe and Lima, honorary oidor of the audience of Charcas : all of whom have borne testimony to the clearness and acuteness of their understandings and excellence of their dispositions. But for all the information on these subjects, we have to thank Don Manuel del Carapo, the son of the last mentioned, who resides in this court, and to whom the merits thus severally applied, unitedly belong.
The arms of this city are three imperial crowns with a sun, and its inhabitants amount to about 5000 or 6000 : 25 leagues n. e. of Popayan, in 4° 46' n. lat.
Cartago, another capital city, of the province of Costa Rica, in the kingdom of Guatemala, situate 10 leagues from the coast of the N. sea, and 17 from that of the S. in each of which it has a good port ; it was formerly rich and flourishing, on account of its commerce w ith Panama, Cartagena, Portobclo, and the Havanah ; but it is at the present day reduced to a miserable village of very few inhabitants, and without any commerce. It has, besides the parish church, a convent of monks of St. Francis, and is in 9° 42' s. lat.
Cartago, a river of the same province and government as is the former city : it runs w. and enters the S.sea, in the port of La Herradura.
Carteret, a cape or extremity of the coast of the same province, and one of those which form Long bay. See Roman.
CARUALLEDA, Nuestra Senora de, a city of the province and government of Venezuela, in the kingdom of Tierra Firme ; founded by Francis Faxardo in 1568, and not in 1560, as according to Coleti : it has a small but insecure port. The town is also a miserable place, having suffered much injury, a short time after its foundation, by the violent disturbances caused in its neighbourhood by the Governor Don Luis de Roxas : 80 leagues e. of Coro.
merit of Venezuela ; situate upon the coast near cape Blanco.
(CATABAW River. See Wateree.)
(Catabaw Indians, a small tribe who have one town called Catabaw, situate on the river of that name, hit. 44° S9' n, on the boundary line between N. and S. Carolina, and contains about 450 inhabitants, of which about 150 are fighting men. They are the only tribe w hich resides in the state ; 144,000 acres of land . were granted them by the proprietary government. These are the remains of a forrnidalile nation, the bravest and most generous enemy thp Six Nations had, butthey have degenerated sincp they have been surrounded by the whites.)
CATACACHI, a settlement of the province and corregimiehto of Caxamarca in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Santa Cruz, in which there is a stream of water Avhich distils from some crevices, and deposits in its bed a sort of white stone or crystalline substance, which they call catachi^ and which being dissolved in water, is accounted a specific in the flux.
CATACUMBO, a river of the province and government of Maracaibo, which rises to the e. of the city of Las Palmas, and runs e. increasing its stream by many others which flow into it, until it unites itself with the Sulia, to enter the lake of Maracaibo; where, at its mouth, it extends itself and forms a large pool of water called La Laguneta.
CATALINA, Santa, a settlement of the head settlement and alcaldia mayor of Tezcoco in Nueva Espana ; annexed to the settlement of Nuestra Senora de la Purificacion. It contains 132 families of Indians.
CATALINA, Santa, another, of the head settlement of Tantoyuca, and alcaldia mayor of Tampico, in the same kingdom : it is of a hot temperature, and contains 80 families of Indians, who apply themselves to the culture of the soil ; is 10 leagues to the e. of its head settlement.
CATALINA, Santa, another,' of the head settlement of Mistepeque, and alcaldia mayor of Nejapa, in Nueva España: it is of a cold temperature, situate at the foot of a mountain, with 60 families of Indians, and is 4 leagues from its head settlement.
CATALINA, Santa, another settlement of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits, in the province of Tepeguana and kingdom of Nueva Viscaya, on the shore of the river Las Nasas ; is 30 leagues to the n. w. of its capital.
CATALINA, Santa, another settlement, with the addition of Sera, of the province and government of Maracaibo, in the district of the city of Pedraza ; situate on the shore of the river Pariva ; is one of the missions which are held in Barinas bj the religion of St. Domingo.
CATALINA, Santa, another, of the same pro
CATAMARCA, S. Fernando de, a city of the province and government of Tucumán, founded by Juan Gomez Zurita, in 1538, in the fertile and extensive valley of Conando. It has a fort to repress the encroachments of the Indians. The name of Canete was given it in honour to the viceroy who then commanded in Peru ; this was afterwards changed to London, in honour to the queen of England, wife of Philip II. king of Spain. The inquietudes caused amongst the inhabitants by the infidel Indians induced Don Geronimo Luis de Cabrera, son of a governor of that province, in 1663, to remove it to another not less fertile valley, and to give it the name of San J uan de la Rivero ; and lastly, by the permission of the king, in 1683, it was transferred to a spot in the valley of Catamarca ; where it still remains, under the same title, at 80 leagues distance from its first station. It has, besides the parish church, a convent of the Recoletos monks of St. Francis, with the dedicatory title of San Pedro de Alcantara ; an hospital of Merced ; aud a house of residence, which formerly belonged to the regulars of the company of Jesuits. On the w. side of the valley is a mountain in which there are gold mines ; and on the w. also from n. to s. runs a serrama^ the skirts of which are for many leagues covered with estates and cultivated grounds, and filled, from the abundance of fine pastures, with lage and small cattle and with mules. A tolerably large river runs through the valley in the rainy season, and terminates in some lakes M’hich are formed by it about 30 leagues s. of the city. The commerce of this city is very small, so that there is no coin current ; and even the payments of the royal duties are paid in effects, and in the productions of the country, such as cotton, linens, pepper, brandy, and wheat. Lat. 27° s.
Catamarca, a settlement of the same province and government ; situate in the district of this city.
Mapoyes, runs w. and enters the Orinoco close to the torrent of Los Atures.
CATARAQUA, or Catarakui, a copious river of the province and country of the Iroquees Indians. It rises from the lake Ontario, runs n. e. and continues its course as far as Quebec, from whence it takes the name of St. Lawrence, and then enters the sea.
CATARUBEN, a settlement of the missions of San Juan de los Llanos in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada ; one of the seven which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits, and belonging to the nation of the Salivas Indians. The Caribes burnt and destroyed it in 1684.
(CATAWESSY, a township in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania ; situate on the s. e. bank of the e. branch of Susquehannah river, opposite the mouth of Fishing creek, and about 20 miles n. e. of Sunbury.)
(CATHERINE’S Isle, St, a small island in the captainship of St. Vincent’s in Brazil, belonging to the Portuguese, 47 leagues s. of Cananea island. It is about 23 miles from n. to s. inhabited by Indians, wiio assist the Portuguese against their enemies, the natives of Brazil. Lak 27° 10' s. Long. 47° 15' w.)
X X 2
C E D
DEL PUERTO, a city of the province and government of Antioquia in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada ; founded by Gaspar de Kodas, on the spot of the Matanza of Valdivia, in 1676. It has changed its place several times, on account of the badness of.its temperature : and, lastly, in the year 1588, it was removed by Francisco Redondo to the spot where it now stands : is one league from the river Cauca, on a very steep declivity, which is also of an unhealthy temperature, although abounding greatly in gold mines, which are, however, but little worked. Jt is the native place of,
Fr. Marcos Vetancur, provincial of St. Domingo in Santa Fe:
Fr. Lorenzo de Figueroa, of the province of San Francisco :
Don Andres de Vetancur, elected bishop of La Concepcion in Chile;
Fr. Diego de Figueroa, provincial of San Augustin in Santa Fe : and
Don Luis de Vetancur, precentor of Quito, inquisitor of Lima, and bishop-elect of Popayan ; all brothers, and men of singular virtue and learning.
CECILIA, Dona, a settlement of the province and government of Santa Marta in the kingdom of Tierra Firme ; situate on the shore of the large river Magdalena, opposite the lake Zapatosa, three leagues from the town of Mompox.
(CEDAR Point, a port of entry in Charles county, Maryland, on the e. side of Potowmac river, about 12 miles below port Tobacco, and 96 s. by w. of Baltimore. Its exports are chiefly tobacco and Indian corn, and in 1794 amounted in value to 18,593 dollars.)
Cedar, a river of the province and colony of
C E N
Pennsylvania, which traverses New Jersey, and enters the sea.
CELAYA, a town of the intendancy of Guanaxuato in the kingdom of Nueva Espana. Sumptuous edifices have been recently constructed here, as also at Queretaro and Guanaxuato. The church of the Carmelites of Celaya has a fine appearance ; it is adorned with Corinthian and Ionic columns. Its height is 1833 metres, or 6018 feet.
CENGUYO, San Pedro de, a settlement of the head settlement of Yrimbo, and alcaldia mayor of Maravatio, in the bishopric of Mechoacan, and kingdom of Nueva Espaiia. It contains 60 families of Indians, and is two leagues to the n. zo. of its head settlement.