477

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Show Translation

C L A

C L A

47 r

Same name, another (settlement), of the province and go
vernment of Venezuela ; situate on the shore of a
river to the n, n. w. of the city of Nirua.

Same name, another (settlement), of the province and
government of Yucatan ; situate on the coast be
tween the settlements of Silan and Sisal.

Same name, another (settlement), of the missions belong
ing to the religious of St. Francis, in the kingdom
of Nuevo Mexico.

Same name, another (settlement), of the island of Cuba ;
situate on the n. coast.

[CLARE, a township on St. Mary’s bay, in
Annapolis county, Nova Scotia. It has about
50 families, and is composed of woodland and
salt marsh.]

CLARE, a small island of the South sea, close to
the port of Guayaquil. It is desert, and two
leagues in length. It is commonly called Amorta~
jado, since, being looked upon from any part, it
bears the resemblance to a dead man. Twenty
five leagues from Cape Blanco.

[Clare, a very lofty mountain of the province
and government of Sonora in Nueva Espaila, near
the coast of the gulf of California, and in the
most interior part. It was discovered in 1698.]

Same name, a small lake of New France, which is
formed by the strait of Misisagues, between lake
Huron and that of Erie.

Same name, a bay on the coast of the country and
land of Labrador, in the strait of Belle-isle.

[CLAREMONT, a township in Cheshire coun
ty, New Hampshire, on the e. side of Connecti
cut river, opposite Ascutney mountain, in Ver
mont, and on the n. side of Sugar river ; 24; miles
i. of Dartmouth college, and 121 s.w. hy w. of
Portsmouth. It was incorporated in 1764, and
contains 1435 inhabitants.]

[Claremont County, in Camden district, S.
Carolina, contains 2479 white inhabitants, and
2110 slaves. Statesburg is the county town.]

CLARENDON, a county of South Carolina, [the
southernmost in Camden district, about SO miles
long and SO broad, and in 1792 contained 1790
whites and 602 slaves.]

Same name, a settlement of the island of
Jamaica ; situate on the s. coast.

[Clarendon, a township near the centre of
Rutland county, Vermont, watered by Otter
creek and its tributary streams; 14 or 15 miles e.
of Fairbaven, and 44 «. e. of Bennington. It con
tains 1478 inhabitants. On the s. e. side of a
mountain in the w. part of Clarendon, or in the
edge of Tinmouth, is a curious cave, the mouth
of which is not more than two feet and a half in
diameter ; in its descent the passage makes an
angle with the horizon of 35° or 40°; but con
tinues of nearly the same diameter through its
whole length, which is 31^ feet. At that distance
from the mouth, it opens into a spacious room, 20
feet long, 12| wide, and 18 or 20 feet high ; every
part of the floor, sides, and roof of this room ap
pear to be a solid rock, but very rough and un
even. The water is continually percolating through
the top, and has formed stalactites of various
forms ; many of which are conical, and some have
the appearance of massive columns ; from this
room there is a communication by a narrow pas
sage to others equally curious.]

CLARINES, a settlement of the province of
Barcelona, and government of Cumana, in the
kingdom of Tierra Firme; lying to the e. of the
city of Barcelona, and on the shore of the river
Unare.

CLARKE, a settlement of the island of
Barbadoes, in the district of the parish of St. Joseph,
and on the e. coast.

Same name, another (settlement), of the same island (Barbadoes), on the 5 ..
coast.

[Clarke, a new county of Kentucky, between
the head waters of Kentucky and Licking rivers
Its chief town is Winchester.]

[CLARKSBURG, the chief town of Harrison
county, Virginia. It contains about 40 houses, a
court-house, and gaol ; and stands on the e. side
of Monongahela river, 40 miles s. w. of Morgan
town.]

[CLARKSTOWN, in Orange county. New
York, lies on the w. side of the Tappan sea, two
miles distant, n. from Tappan township six miles,
and from New York city 29 miles. By the state
census of 1796, 224 of its inhabitants are elec
tors.]

[CLARKSVILLE, the chief town of what was
till lately called Tennessee county, in the state of
Tennessee, is pleasantly situated on the e. bank of
Cumberland river, and at the mouth of Red river,
opposite the mouth of Muddy creek. It contains
about SO houses, a court-house, and gaol, 45,
miles w. w. of Nashville, 220 n. w. by w. of
Knoxville, and 940 zso. by s. of Philadelphia.
Lat. 36° 25' n. Long. 87° 23' a).]

[Clarksville, a small settlement in the n, w.
territory, which contained in 1791 about 60 souks.
It is situate on the n. bank of the Ohio, opposite
Louisville, a mile below the rapids, and 100
miles s. e. of post Vincent. It is frequently flood
ed when the river is high, and inhabited by
people who cannot at present find a better situa
tion.]

CLARO, a river of the district of Rexe in the

Page Notes

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page