C L E
C L I
kingdom of Chile. It rises from one of the lakes
of Avendafio, runs w. and then turning s. enters
the river Laxa. On its shore the Spaniards have
a fort, called Yumbel, or Don Carlos de Austria,
to restrain the Araucanos Indians.
Same name, another river in the province and cor-
regimiento of Maule of the same kingdom. It runs
w. and enters the Maule.
Same name, another river of the province and go-
vernment of Mariquita in the Nuevo Reyno de
Granada. It rises in the valley of Corpus Christi,
and running through it, enters the great river
Same name, another, a small river of the province
and government of Paraguay. It runs w. and en-
ters the Mbotetei.
Same name, another small river of the kingdom of
Brazil, which also runs w. and enters the Preto or
Palma, opposite the Benito.
Same name, another (river) of the same kingdom of Brazil,
distinct from the former. It rises in the country of
the Araes Indians, runs n. n. e. and enters the
Parcuipasa, to the w. of the toM'n Boa.
Same name, a port of the coast of the South sea, in the
province and government of Choco in the kingdom
of Tierra Firme. It lies between the port Quemado
and the bay of San Francisco Solano.
CLAUCAC, a settlement of the head settlement
of Xonacatepec, and alcaldia mayor of Cuernavaca,
in Nueva Espana.
CLAUDIO, San, a small island of the North sea,
near the e. coast of Nova Scotia in N. America,
in the strait which this coast forms with the island
of San Juan.
[CLAVERACK, a post-town in Columbia
county. New York, pleasantly situated on a large
plain, about two miles and a half e. of Hudson
city, near a creek of its own name. It contains
about 60 houses, a Dutch church, a court-house,
and a goal. The township, by the census of 1791,
contained 3262 inhabitants, including 340 slaves.
By the state census of 1796 tkere appears to be
412 electors. It is 231 miles from Philadelphia. 1
CLAYCAYAC, a head settlement of the alcaldia
mayor of Zultepec in Nueva Espana ; annexed
to the curacy of Teraascaltepec. It contains 84
families of Indians, and is four leagues s. of its
CLEAUER, a settlement of the island of
Barbadoes, in the district of the parish of San Juan.
CLERC, Ensenada de, a bay of the n. coast
and w. head of the island of St. Domingo, in the
French possessions, between the bay of Los Cai-
raitos and the Agujero or Trou of Jeremias.
[CLERK’S Isles lie s, w. from, and at the
entrance of Behring’s straits, which separate Asia
from America. They rather belong to Asia, being
very near, and s. s. w. from the head-land which
lies between the straits and the gulf of Anadir in
Asia. They have their name in honour of that
able navigator, Captain Clerk, the companion of
Captain Cook. In other maps they are called St.
[CLERMONT, a post-town in Columbia coun-
ty, New York, six miles from Red hook, 15
from Hudson, 117 miles n. of New York, and
212 from Philadelphia. The township contains
867 inhabitants, inclusive of 113 slaves.]
[Clermont, a village 13 miles from Camden,
S. Carolina. In the late war, here was a
block-house encompassed by an abbatis; it was
taken from Colonel Rugely of the British militia,
in December 1781, by an ingenious stratagem of
Lieutenant-colonel W ashington.]
CLEYALI, a settlement of Indians of
South Carolina ; situate on the shore of the river Alabama.
[CLIE, Lake Le, in Upper Canada, about 38
miles long and 30 broad; its waters communicate
with those of lake Huron,]
[CLINCH Mountain divides the waters of
Holston and Clinch rivers, in the state of Tennessee.
In this mountain Burk’s Garden and Morrises
Nob might be described as curiosities.]
[Clinch, or Peleson, a navigable branch of
Tennessee river, which is equal in length to Hol-
ston river, its chief branch, but less in width. It
rises in Virginia, and after it enters into the state
of Tennessee, it receives Powel’s and Poplar’s
creek, and Emery’s river, besides other streams.
The course of the Clinch is s. w. and s. w. by w . ;
its mouth, 150 yards wide, lies 35 miles below
Knoxville, and 60 above the mouth of the Hiwasse.
It is beatable for upwards of 200 miles, and
Powel’s river, nearly as large as the main river, is
navigable for boats 100 miles.]
[CLINTON, the most n. county of the state of
New York, is bounded n. by Canada, e. by the
deepest waters of lake Champlain, which line se-
parates it from Vermont, and s. by the county of
Washington. By the census of 1791, it contained
16 14 inhabitants, including 17 slaves. It is di-
vided into five townships, viz. Plattsburgh, the
capital. Crown Point, Willsborough, Champlain,
and Peru. The length from n. to s. is about 96
miles, and the breadth from e. to w. including the
line upon the lake, is 36 miles. The number of
souls was, in 1796, estimated to be 6000. By the
state census, in Jan. 1796, there were 624 persons
entitled to be electors. A great proportion of the
lands are of an excellent quality, and produce
Notes and Questions
Nobody has written a note for this page yet
Please sign in to write a note for this page