339

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Show Translation

CAT

CAT 339

CATAMARCA, S. Fernando de, a city of
the province and government of Tucumán, found
ed by Juan Gomez Zurita, in 1538, in the fertile
and extensive valley of Conando. It has a fort to
repress the encroachments of the Indians. The
name of Canete was given it in honour to the vice
roy who then commanded in Peru ; this was after
wards changed to London, in honour to the queen
of England, wife of Philip II. king of Spain. The
inquietudes caused amongst the inhabitants by the
infidel Indians induced Don Geronimo Luis de
Cabrera, son of a governor of that province, in
1663, to remove it to another not less fertile val
ley, and to give it the name of San J uan de la Ri
vero ; and lastly, by the permission of the king,
in 1683, it was transferred to a spot in the valley
of Catamarca ; where it still remains, under the
same title, at 80 leagues distance from its first sta
tion. It has, besides the parish church, a convent
of the Recoletos monks of St. Francis, with the
dedicatory title of San Pedro de Alcantara ; an
hospital of Merced ; aud a house of residence,
which formerly belonged to the regulars of the
company of Jesuits. On the w. side of the val
ley is a mountain in which there are gold mines ;
and on the w. also from n. to s. runs a serrama^ the
skirts of which are for many leagues covered with
estates and cultivated grounds, and filled, from
the abundance of fine pastures, with lage and small
cattle and with mules. A tolerably large river
runs through the valley in the rainy season, and
terminates in some lakes M’hich are formed by it
about 30 leagues s. of the city. The commerce of
this city is very small, so that there is no coin cur
rent ; and even the payments of the royal duties
are paid in effects, and in the productions of the
country, such as cotton, linens, pepper, brandy,
and wheat. Lat. 27° s.

Catamarca, a settlement of the same province
and government ; situate in the district of this
city.

CATAMBUCU, a settlement of the province
and government of Popayán in the kingdom of
Quito.

CATAN, San Francisco de, a settlement of
the province and corregimiento of Caxamarca in
Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Chetu.

CATANERA, an ancient province of Peru, in
that of Condesuyos, in which dwelt the nation of
the Quechuas. It was subjected to the empire by
the Inca Capac Y upanqui, fifth Emperor.

CATANIAPU, a river of the province and go
vernment of Guayana or Nueva Andalucia. It
rises to the s. of the settlement of San Joseph de

Mapoyes, runs w. and enters the Orinoco close to
the torrent of Los Atures.

CATAPUIN, San Juan de, a settlement of
the province and government of Quixos y Macas
in the kingdom of Quito.

CATARAQUA, or Catarakui, a copious
river of the province and country of the Iroquees
Indians. It rises from the lake Ontario, runs n. e.
and continues its course as far as Quebec, from
whence it takes the name of St. Lawrence, and
then enters the sea.

Cataraqua, a bay on the n. coast of lake
Ontario, in New France or Canada.

CATARUBEN, a settlement of the missions of
San Juan de los Llanos in the Nuevo Reyno de
Granada
; one of the seven which were held by
the regulars of the company of Jesuits, and be
longing to the nation of the Salivas Indians. The
Caribes burnt and destroyed it in 1684.

CATAROSI, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Aymaraez in Peru; annexed to
the curacy of Pampamarca.

CATAS-ALTAS, a settlement or village of the
Portuguese, in the province and captainship of
Espiritu Santo, and kingdom of Brazil ; situate on
the shore of the river Doce or Dulce.

CATAUBA, a river of Virginia, which runs
n. e. and enters the Thames.

Catauba, another river in S. Carolina, which
runs s. e. and enters the Watery.

(CATAWESSY, a township in Northumberland
county, Pennsylvania ; situate on the s. e. bank
of the e. branch of Susquehannah river, opposite
the mouth of Fishing creek, and about 20 miles
n. e. of Sunbury.)

CATCA, a settlement of the province and corre
gimiento of Paucartambo in Peru.

CATCH, or Boutin, a port of the coast of
Nova Scotia, between the bay of Cheboucto and
tbe island of Samborough.

CATEMU, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Quillota in the kingdom of Chile,
on the shore of the river Quillota.

(CATHANCE, or Cathants, a small river in
Lincoln county, Maine, which rises in Topsham,
and empties into Merry Meeting bay, and has se
veral mills upon it.)

(CATHERINE’S Isle, St, a small island in
the captainship of St. Vincent’s in Brazil, be
longing to the Portuguese, 47 leagues s. of Cana
nea island. It is about 23 miles from n. to s. in
habited by Indians, wiio assist the Portuguese
against their enemies, the natives of Brazil. Lak
27° 10' s. Long. 47° 15' w.)

X X 2

Page Notes

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page