528

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Show Translation

528

COW

cox

figure, with four bastions, built wfili stockades.
There were, some years since, about 2000 white
inhabitants and 7000 slaves. They cultivate In-
dian corn, tobacco, and indigo; raise vast quan-
tities of poultry, wliich they send to New Or-
leans. They also send to that city squared timber,
staves, &c.]

COUQUECURA, a settlement of Indians of
the province and corregimiento of Itata in the
kingdom of Chile; situate on the coast.

COURIPI, a river of the province of Guay-
ana
==, in the F rench possessions.

COUSSA, a settlement of the English, in S.
Carolina
; situate on the shore of the river of its
name.

Coussa, another settlement, in the same pro-
vince
and colony, on the shore of a river of the
same denomination. This river runs n. w. and en-
ters the Albama.

COUSSARIE, a river of the province of Guay-
ana
, in the part possessed by the French. It enters
the Aprouac,

COUSSATI, a settlement of Indians of S. Ca-
rolina
; situate on the shore of the river Albama.

COUUACHITOUU, a settlement of Indians of
S. Carolina, in which the English have an esta-
blishment and fort for its defence.

COUUANCHI, a river of the province and
colonj'^ of Georgia, which runs e, and enters the
Ogeclii.

COUUANAIUUINI, a river of the province
of Guayana, in the part which the French
possess.

(COVENTRY, a township in Tolland county,
Connecticut, 20 miles e. of Hartford city. ’’ It was
settled in 1709, being purchased by a number of
Hartford gentlemen of one Joshua, an Indian.)

(Coventry, in Rhode Island state, is the
n. easternmost township in Kent county. It
contains 2477 inhabitants.)

(Coventry, a township in the n. part of New
Hampshire, in Grafton county. It was incorpo-
rated in 1764, and contains 80 inhabitants.)

(Coventry, a township in Orleans county,
Vermont. It lies in the n. part of the state, at
the s. end of lake Memphremagog. Black river
passes through this town in its course to Memphre-
magog.)

(Coventry, a township in Chester county,
Pennsylvania.)

(COW AND Calf Pasture Rivers are head
branches of Rivanna river, in Virginia.)

(COWE is the capital town of the Cherokee
Indians ; situated on the foot of the hills on both
sides of the river Tennessee. Here terminates the

great vale of Cowe, exhibiting one of the most
charming, natural, mountainous landscapes that
can be seen. The vale is closed at Cowe by a
ridge of hills, called the Jore mountains. The
town contains about 100 habitations. In the con-
stitution of the state of Tennessee, Cowe is de-
scribed as near the line which separates Tennessee
from Virginia, and is divided from Old Chota,
another Indian town, by that part of the Great
Iron or Smoaky mountain, called Unicoi or Unaca
mountain).

COWETAS, a city of the province and colony
of Georgia in N. America. It is 500 miles distant
from Frederick, belongs to the Creek Indians,
and in it General Oglethorp held his conferences
with the caciques or chiefs of the various tribes
composing this nation, as also with the deputies
from the Chactaws and the Chicasaws, who in-
habit the parts lying between the English and
French establishments. He here made some new
treaties with the natives, and to a greater extent
than those formerly executed. Lat. 32° 12' n.
Long. 85° 52' w. (See Apalachichola Town.)

(COWS Island. See Vache.)

(COWTENS, a place so called, in S. Carolina,
between the Pacolet river and the head branch of
Broad river. This is the spot where General Mor-
gan gained a complete victory over Lieutenant-co-
lonel Tarleton, January 11, 1781, having only 12
men killed and 60 wounded. The British had 39
commissioned officers killed, wounded, and taken
prisoners ; 100 rank and file killed, 200 wounded,
and 500 prisoners. They left behind two pieces
of artillery, two standards, 800 muskets, 35 bag-
gage waggons, and 100 drago"on horses, which fell
into the hands of the Americans. The field of
battle was in an open wood.)

COX, a settlement of the island of Barbadoes,
in the district of the parish of San Joseph, near
the e. coast.

Cox, another settlement in the same island,
distinct from the former, and not far distant
from it.

COXCATLAN, S. Juan Bautista de, a
settlement and head settlement of the district of the
a/caMa mayor of Valles in Nueva Espana ; situate
on the bank of a stream which runs through a
glen bordered with mountains and woods. It con-
tans 1131 families of Mexican Indians, SO of Spa-
niards, and various others of Mulattoes and Jlfus-
tees, all of whom subsist by agriculture, and in
raising various sorts of seeds, sugar-canes, and
cotton. Fifteen leagues from the capital.

Coxcatlan, another settlement and head settle-
ment of the alcddia mayor of Thehuacan in the

fr

Notes and Questions

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page