527

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Show Translation

COT

C O U

527

into tlie Banos, and which, after the great cas
cade, is known by the name of Pastaza. To the
n. rises the Padregal, afterwards called Pita, as it
passes through the llanura of Chillo ; and at the
skirt of the mountain of Guangopolo, where the
plain terminates, it unites itself with the Ama
g^uaiia, and then turning w. takes the names of
Tumbaco and Huallabamba, to enter the Esmeral
das, which disembogues itself into the S. sea. At
the skirt of this great mountain are the estates of
Sinipu, Pongo, Pucaguaita, and Papaurca, It is
distant from the settlement of Mula-halo half a
league, and five leagues from its capital. In lat.
40° IPs. (The height of this volcano was dis
covered, in 1802, to be only 260 feet lower than
the crater of Antisana, which is 19,130 feet above
the level of the sea.)

COTOPASSA, a river of the province of Ca
nela
in the kingdom of Quito, towards the s. e. It
runs s. e. and enters the n. side of the river Pastaza,
which, from that point, begins to be navigable.

COTOPAXI. See Cotopacsi.

COTUA, a settlement of the province and
government of Cumaná ; situate on the shore of
a river near the coast of the gulf of Cariaco, be
tween the city of this name and thatof Cumanagoto.

COTUE, a small island of the N. sea; siPiate
near the n. coast of the island of Cuba.

COTUI, a town of St. Domingo ; founded, in
1504, by Rodrigo Mexia deTruxillo, by the order
of the cometidador mayor of Alca.ntara, Nicolas
de Obando, 16 leagues to the n. of the capital, St.
Domingo, on the skirt of some mountains which
are 12 leagues in height, and at the distance of
two leagues from the river Yauna. It is a small
and poor town. Its commerce depends upon the
salting of meats, and in preparing tallow and hides
to carry to St. Domingo, and in the chase of wild
goats, which are sold to the French. In its moun
tains is a copper mine, two leagues to the s. e. of
the town. The Bucaniers, a French people of the
island of Tortuga, commanded by Mr. Pouancy,
their governor, took and sacked it in 1676. (In

1505, the gold mines were worked here. The
copper mine above alluded to is in the mountain of
Meymon, whence comes the river of the same
name, and is so rich, that the metal, when refined,
will produce eight per cent, of gold. Here are also
found excellent lapis lazuli, a streaked chalk, that
some painters prefer to bole for gilding, load
stone, emeralds, and iron. The iron is of the best
quality, and might be conveyed from the chain of
Sevico by means of the river Yuna. The soil
here is excellent, and the plantains produced here
are of such superior quality, that this manna of the

Antilles is called, at St. Domingo, Sunday plan
tains. The people cultivate tobacco, but are
chiefly employed in breeding swine. The inhabi
tants are called clownish, and of an unsociable
character. The town is situated half a league
from the s. w. bank of the Yuna, which becomes
unnavigable near this place, about 13 leagues from
its mouth, in the bay of Samana. It contains 160
scattered houses, in the middle of a little savana,
and surrounded Avith woods, SO leagues n. of St.
Domingo, and 15 s.e. of St. Yago.)

COUCHSAGE, a settlement of Indians of the
province and colony of New York ; situate on the
shore of the river Hudson.

(COUDRAS, a small island in St. Lawrence
river, about 45 miles n. e. of Quebec.)

COUECHI, a settlement of Indians of N. Ca
rolina
, in the territory of the Cheroquees.

COUICAN, a settlement of the head settlement
of Guiméo, and alcald'ia mayor of Cirindaro, in
Nueva Espafia. It contains 93 families of In
dians.

COUL, Bay of, on the e. coast of the cape
Breton, in Spanish bay, and at the entrance of the
lake Labrador.

COULEURE, a bay of the island of Marti
nique
, one of the Antilles, on the n. w. coast, near
Pearl island.

Couleure, a small river of this island, which
runs «. w. and enters the sea in the bay of its
name.

CORUCO. Sec Cabo.

(COUNTRY Harbour, so called, is about 20
leagues to the e. of Halifax, in Nova Scotia.)

COUPEE, a point of the coast and shore of the
Mississippi in Canada, [it is also called Cut
Point, and is a short turn in the river Mississippi,
about 35 miles above Mantchac fort, at the gut of
Ibberville, and 259 from the mouth of the river.
Charlevoix relates that the river formerly made a
great turn here, and some Canadians, by deepen
ing the channel of a small brook, diverted the
waters of the river into if, in the year 1722. The
impetuosity of the stream was such, and the soil
of so rich and loose a quality, that in a short time
the point was entirely cut through, and the old
channel left dry, except in inundations ; by which
travellers save 14 feagues of their voyage. The
new channel has been sounded Avith a line of SO
fathoms, without finding bottom. The Spanish
settlements of Point Coupee extend 20 miles on the
w. side of the Mississippi, and there are some plan
tations back on the side of La Fause Riviere,
through Avhich the Mississippi passed about 70
years ago. The fort at Point Coupee is a square

Page Notes

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page