The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
Presurapscot river. It has a good harbour at its mouth for small vessels, and has several mills upon it ; two miles higher a fall obstructs the navigation. Between it and Kennebeck there are no rivers ; some creeks and harbours of Casco bay throw themselves into the main land, affording harbours for small vessels, and intersecting the country in various forms.)
CASIBANI, a river of the province and country of the Amazonas : it rises in the cordillera of the Mochovos and Pichambios Indians, runs in a serpentine course to the n. then inclining for many leagues to the s. e. enters the Maranon or Amazonas, near the settlement of N uestra Seilora de Guadalupe.
CASIDI, a river of the province and government of Guayana : it enters the Orinoco, according to Beilin, but which is afterwards contradicted by his own map, since it is^there represented as having its source to the e. of the city of Pamplona, and as running into the river Apure.
CASIMENA, a settlement of the jurisdiction of the city of Santiago de los Atalayas, in the government of San Juan de los Llanos, of the Nuevo Reyno de Granada : it is of a very hot temperature, and abounds in fruits of a similar climate. Its natives, who are numerous and consist of the Neolitos Indians, are very industrious, docile, and of good dispositions, having been reduced to the faith by the missionaries of the extinguished society of Jesuits. The settlement is at present in the charge of the barefooted order of St. Francis, and lies three leagues from the settlement of Surimena, on the shore of the large river Meta.
CASIPA, a large lake of the province of Nueva Andalucía Austral or South, to the w. ofthe Vacaronis Indians : it is 30 leagues in length from n. to s. and 24 in width from e. to w. Four large rivers flow from it, the principal of which areArous or Aroi and Caroa, the which enter the Orinoco on its e. side. Its woods are inhabited by some barbarous
nations of Caribes Indians, such as are the Canuris to the n. the Bsparagois to the e. the Aravis to the s. and the Chaguas and Lasipagotes to thezw. In this lake tortoises and alligators abound ; its waters are hurtful, and the climate here is unhealthy; hurricanes are frequent here, from the winds which blow from the neighbouring mountains.
Casipoure, a cape or point of the coast opposite the side of cape Orange.
CASIRI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Parinacocha in Peru ; annexed to the .curacy of its capital : in its vicinity is an elevated mountain, in which great Indian wealth is said to be secreted.
CASIRIAQUI, Cano de, a large and copious arm of the river Negro, by which this communicates with the Orinoco, and through that with the Maranon or Las Amazonas ; which communication, however, has been frequently doubted and controverted since the short time of its having been discovered.
CASIRRUENTI, a large and copious river abounding in fine fish, of the province and government of San Juan de los Llanos : it passes through the llanuras of Cazanare and Meta, and, near the settlement of San Joaquin de Atanari, enters the Meta.
CASIUINDO, a settlement of the province and government of Tucumán, in the jurisdiction of the city of Xuxuy ; annexed to the curacy of Cochinoca ; it has two hermitages, which serve as chapels of ease, with the dedicatory title of Rinconada and Rio de San Juan. The natives fabricate powder of excellent quality, and in its district are gold mines, which are not worked.
CASMA, Alta, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Santa in Peru ; situate on the coast of the S. sea, with a moderately good port. It was sacked in 1586 by Edward David, an English pirate.
(CASQUIPIBIAC, a river on the n. side of Chaleur bay, about a league from Black cape, n. w. by n. in the bottom of Casquipibiac cove, at the distance of about one league from which is the great river of Casquipibiac. It lies about w, from the former, and affords a small cod and salmon fishery.)
(CASTAHANA, Indians of N. America, who resemble the Dotames, except that they trade principally Avith the Crow Indians, and that they would most probably prefer visiting an establishment on the Yellow Stone river, or at its mouth on the Missouri.)
CASTEENS, a small river of the province of Sagadohook : it runs s. and enters the sea in the bay of Penobscot. On its shore and at its mouth is a settlement of Indians, where the English have a fort and an establishment.
CASTELA, a large and navigable river of the province and government of Moxos in the kingdom of Quito, being formed from those of the Beni and Paravari ; it afterwards unites itself with that oftheYtenes, and changes its name to Madera, which joins the Maranon on the s. side, in lat. 3° 13' 18" s.
CASTILLA DEL ORO. See Tierra Firme*
Castillo, a port of the coast, in the same province and kingdom, between the former river and the port Valparaiso.
Castillo, a settlement of the province and government of Tucumán, in the jurisdiction of the city of Cordova ; situate on the shores of the river Tercero, near the mouth Avhere this enters the Saladillo.
CASTILLOS Grandes, an island of the province and captainship of Rey in Brazil. It is very near the coast, between the cape Santa Maria of the river La Plata and the cape of Las Yncas; the Portuguese have a fort in it.
Castillos Grandes, another island, with the addition of Chicos, to distinguish it from the other in the same province and kingdom, and at a little distance from the above island.
(CASTINE, the shire town of Hancock county, district of Maine, is situate on Penobscot bay. It was taken from the town of Penobscot, and incorporated in Feb. 1796. It is named after a French gentleman who resided here ISO years ago, as also)
(Castine River, which is about 14 miles long, is navigable lor six miles, and has several mills at the head of it. It empties into Penobscot bay.)
(CASTLE Island. See Crooked Island.)
(CASTLETON, a township and river in Rutland county, Vermont, 20 miles s. e. of mount Independence at Ticonderoga. Lake Bombazon is chiefly in this town, and sends its waters into Castleton river, which, rising in Pittsford, passes through this town in a s. westerley course, and fails into Pultney river in the town of Fairhaven, a little below Colonel Lyon’s iron Avorks. Fort Warner stands in thistoAvn. Inhabitants 805.)
vince and government, on the shore of the river Masparro, between the cities of New and Old Barinas.
Catalina, Santa, another settlement of the province and government of La Sonora in Nueva Espana ; situate in the country of the Sobaipuris Indians, on the shore of a river which enters the Gila, between the settlements of San Cosme and San Angelo.
Catalina, Santa, another settlement of the province and alcaldia mayor of Los Zoques in the kingdom of Guatemala.
Catalina, Santa, an island of the N. sea, near the coast of Tierra Firme, opposite the Escudo de Veraguas. It is of a good temperature, fertile, and abounding in cattle and fruits. It had in it a settlement defended by two castles, called Santiago and Santa Teresa; which, together with the town, were destroyed by an English pirate, John Morgan, who took the island in 1665 ; and although it was recovered in the same year by the president of Panama and Colonel Don J uan Perez de Guzman, it remained abandoned and desert.
Catalina, Santa, a valley, in which there is also a small settlement, in the Nuevo Reyno de Leon ; annexed to the curacy of its capital, from whence it lies three leagues to the w. It contains 20 families in its neighbourhood, and produces only some sorts of pulse and some goats.
CATAMAIU, a large and rapid river of the province and government of Loxa in the kingdom of Quito, also called Chira, at the part where it enters the sea. It rises in the paramo or desert mountain of Sabanilla ; and collecting the waters of several smaller rivers, runs from s. to n. until it unites itself with tlie Gonzanama, which enters it on the s. side, in lat. S° 47' s. ; it then turns its course to the xo. and afterwards to the 5 . w. and receives the tributary streams of the rivers Quiros, Macara, and Pelingara ; all of which enter it on the s. side. Being swelled with these, it takes the name of Amotape, from the settlement of this name, situate on its shore. Near its mouth this river is called Colan, and it empties itself into the sea in the corregimiento and province ofPiura. The countries which it laves are fertile and beautiful, and its banks are covered with orchards and plantations of sugar-canes of the territory of Loxa. The climate here is very hot, and in the valleys formed by this river the inhabitants are much afflicted with the tertian fever ; its waters are generally very cold and unwliolesonic.
CATAMARCA, S. Fernando de, a city of the province and government of Tucumán, founded by Juan Gomez Zurita, in 1538, in the fertile and extensive valley of Conando. It has a fort to repress the encroachments of the Indians. The name of Canete was given it in honour to the viceroy who then commanded in Peru ; this was afterwards changed to London, in honour to the queen of England, wife of Philip II. king of Spain. The inquietudes caused amongst the inhabitants by the infidel Indians induced Don Geronimo Luis de Cabrera, son of a governor of that province, in 1663, to remove it to another not less fertile valley, and to give it the name of San J uan de la Rivero ; and lastly, by the permission of the king, in 1683, it was transferred to a spot in the valley of Catamarca ; where it still remains, under the same title, at 80 leagues distance from its first station. It has, besides the parish church, a convent of the Recoletos monks of St. Francis, with the dedicatory title of San Pedro de Alcantara ; an hospital of Merced ; aud a house of residence, which formerly belonged to the regulars of the company of Jesuits. On the w. side of the valley is a mountain in which there are gold mines ; and on the w. also from n. to s. runs a serrama^ the skirts of which are for many leagues covered with estates and cultivated grounds, and filled, from the abundance of fine pastures, with lage and small cattle and with mules. A tolerably large river runs through the valley in the rainy season, and terminates in some lakes M’hich are formed by it about 30 leagues s. of the city. The commerce of this city is very small, so that there is no coin current ; and even the payments of the royal duties are paid in effects, and in the productions of the country, such as cotton, linens, pepper, brandy, and wheat. Lat. 27° s.
Catamarca, a settlement of the same province and government ; situate in the district of this city.
Mapoyes, runs w. and enters the Orinoco close to the torrent of Los Atures.
CATARAQUA, or Catarakui, a copious river of the province and country of the Iroquees Indians. It rises from the lake Ontario, runs n. e. and continues its course as far as Quebec, from whence it takes the name of St. Lawrence, and then enters the sea.
CATARUBEN, a settlement of the missions of San Juan de los Llanos in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada ; one of the seven which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits, and belonging to the nation of the Salivas Indians. The Caribes burnt and destroyed it in 1684.
(CATAWESSY, a township in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania ; situate on the s. e. bank of the e. branch of Susquehannah river, opposite the mouth of Fishing creek, and about 20 miles n. e. of Sunbury.)
(CATHERINE’S Isle, St, a small island in the captainship of St. Vincent’s in Brazil, belonging to the Portuguese, 47 leagues s. of Cananea island. It is about 23 miles from n. to s. inhabited by Indians, wiio assist the Portuguese against their enemies, the natives of Brazil. Lak 27° 10' s. Long. 47° 15' w.)
X X 2
C E R
C E Q
CENIS, a settlement of Indians of the province and government of Louisiana, situate in the road which leads to Mexico. It has a fort whicli was built by the French when they had possession of the province.
CENOMANAS, a barbarous nation of Indians, descended from the Naunas, who live in the woods, and without any fixed abode, along the banks of the great river Magdalena.
CENOS, a barbarous nation of Indians, to the n. of the river Marañon, w ho inhabit the woods near the river Aguarico. They are at continual war with that of the Encabellados.
CENTA, a small river of the province and government of Tucumán. It runs from the z£. to e. and enters the Bermejo. The Fathers Antonio Salinis and Pedro Ortiz de Zarate, of the extinguished company, suffered martyrdom upon its shores whilst pn'aching to the barbarian Indians.
CENTERVILLE, the chief town of Queen Anne’s county, and on the e. side of Chesapeak bay, in Maryland. It lies between the forks of Corsica creek, which runs into Chester river, and has been lately laid out; 18 miles s. of Chester, S4 s. e, by e. of Baltimore, and 93 s. xso. by s. of Philadelphia. Lat. 39° 6' n,~\
CEPEROUX, a French fort, called also San Louis, in Cayenne ; situate at the mouth of the river, and on a lofty spot commanding the entrance of the same. It was taken by the Dutch in 1676 ; and in the following year it was recovered by the French ; which date has been mistaken by Mons. Martiniere, who mentions it as having been lost the year preceding.
CEPITA, a small settlement of the province and corregimiento of Charcas in Peru, above the channel of the great lake Titicaca, near the famous bridge that was built by the Emperor Capac Yiipanqui over the channel, and which is 160 yards in length. The Indians of this settlement are diligent in keeping this bridge in repair, and assist in helping and directing the cavalcades which are continmdly passing it,
CEQUER, a small settlement of the province and corregimiento of Pastos in the kingdom of Quito, to the n. of this city, and on the shore of the river Telembi. Its temperature is cold, and it is the direct road for such as are going to the province of Barbacoas.
CEQUIN, a mountain of the province of Los Canelos in the kingdom of Quito. Its skirts are washed by the river Puyuc, and on the other side by the Bobonasa : from it rise the rivers Tinguisa and Paba-yacu, which run from w. to e. until they enter the Bobonasa. It is entirely covered with thick woods, save upon the top, where there is ncifher tree nor plant.
CERCADO, a province and corregimiento of Peru, bounded n. by that of Chancay, n.e. by that of Canta, e. by that of Huarochiri, by that of Cañete, and w. by the S. sea; is 13 leagues long s. and eight wide at the widest part; is of a very mild and kind temperature, but somewhat sickly ; and is neither subject to tempests nor high Avinds, although it is often visited by earthquakes. It only rains in the winter, and this is a species of small sprinkling shower which they call garua; so that they have no necessity for houses with roofs, and they are covered only with clay or mortar. The whole of its territory is fertile, and abounds in seeds and fruits. The herb alfalfa, which is good forage for horses, is particularly cultivated, there being a great demand for it at Lima. Here are many estates of sugar-cane, from Avhich sugar is manufactured, as Avell as honey, and a kind of drink called guarape. Chica is also made here; this being the common drink of the Indians throughout the whole kingdom. It is irrigated by the rivers Rinac and Lurin, which run down from the province of Guarochiri, and by the Carrabayilo, which runs from the province of Canta : all three of them are small ; but in the months of December, January and February, which is the rainy season in the sierra^ they swell greatly. Its population consists of seven parochial settlements, and as many others thereunto annexed. Its repartimiento used to amount to 10,000 dollars, and it paid an alcaxala of 80 dollars per annum. The capital is of the same name, and the other 14 settlements are,
San Joseph de Bellavista.
Cercado, San Cristoval de, a settlement to the s. of the city of Lima, to which it is as a suburb. It is inhabited only by Indians, who are governed by a cazique ; and until 1776, it was a cure of the regulars of the company of Jesuits, who had in it a college.