490

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Show Translation

490

COL

COL

COLARIA, a settlement of the province and
government of Tucumán, in the district of the
capital, to the zo. of this province.

COLASTINA, a small river of the province
and government of Buenos Ayres. It runs e. and
enters the Parana,

COLATE, a small river of the province and
alcaldta mayor of Tecoantepec in the kingdom of
Guatemala. It runs into the S. sea, between the
rivers Azatian and Capanerealte.

COLATPA, a settlement of the head settlement
of Olinalá, and alcald'in mayor of TIapa, in Nueva
Espana. It contains 29 families of Indians, who
employ themselves in the commerce of chia, a
v/hite medicinal earth, and cochineal, which abound
in their territory : n. w. of its head settlement.

COLAZA, a small and ancient province, ex
tremely fertile and delightful, belonging at the pre
sent day to the province of Popayán in the Nuevo
Reyno de Granada. It was discovered by Sebas
tian de Benalcazar in 1536. Its inhabitants, who
were a warlike and cruel race, are entirely extir
pated.

COLCA, a settlement of the province and cor
regimiento of Vilcas Huaman in Peru ; annexed to
the curacy of Huanacapi.

COLCA, another settlement in the province and
corregimiento of Xauja in the same kingdom ; an
nexed to the curacy of Chongos.

COLCA, another, in the province and corregi
miento of Aimaraez in the same kingdom ; an
nexed to the curacy of Pampamarca.

COLCABAMBA, a settlement of the province
and corregimiento of Aimaraez in Peru.

COLCABAMBA, another settlement, in the pro
vince and corregimiento of Theanta in the same
kingdom.

COLCAHUANCA, a settlementof the province
and corregimiento of Huailas in Peru ; annexed to
the curacy of Pampas.

COLCAMAR, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Luya and Chillaos in Peru ; an
nexed to the curacy of Luya, its capital.

COLCHA, a settlement of the province and cor
regimiento oi Lipes, and archbishopric of Charcas,
in Peru. It was formerly the capital, and pre
serves in its cluirch an image of the blessed virgin,
sent thither by the Emperor Charles V. It is now
annexed to the curacy of San Christoval.

COLCHA, another settlement, of the'province and
corregimiento of Chilques and Masques in the same
kingdom.

COLCHA, another, of the province and corregi
miento of Cochabamba in the same kingdom ; an
nexed to the curacy of Berenguela,

COLCHAGUA, a province and^ corregimiento
of the kingdom of Chile ; bounded on the e. by
the cordillera Nevada ; s. by the province of
Maule, the river Teno serving as the boundary ;
and w. by the sea. It is 40 leagues in length from
e. to w. and 32 in width from n. to s. Here are
some gold mines, and there were several others,
the working of which has been discontinued : here
are also some copper mines. It abounds in wheat,
large and small cattle, horses and mules. In a
part called Cauquencs are some hot baths, which
arc much frequented, from the salutary affects they
produce, especially upon those affected with the
French disease, leprosy, spots on the skin, or
wounds. The inhabitants of this province amount
to 15,000 souls, and its capital is the town of San
Fernando.

COLCHAGUA, a settlement of this province and
corregimiento, which is the head of a curacy of
another, and contains four chapels of ease.

(COLCHESTER, a township in Ulster county.
New York, on the Popachton branch of Delaware
river, s. w. of Middletown, and about 50 miles
s. w. by s. of Cooperstown. By the state census
of 1796, 193 of its inhabitants are electors.)

(Colchester, a large township in New London
county, Connecticut, seltled in 1701 ; about 15
miles tc. of Norwich, 25 s. e. of Hartford, and 20
n. w. of New London city. It is in contemplation
to have a post-office established in this town.)

(Colchester, the chief town in Chittenden
county, Vermont, is on the e. bank of lake Cham
plain, at the mouth of Onion river, and n, of Bur
lington, on Colchester bay, which spreads n. of the
town.)

(Colchester, a post-town in Fairfax county,
Virginia ; situate on the n. e. bank of Ocquoquam
creek, three or four miles from its confluence with
the Potowmack ; and is here about 100 yards
wide, and navigable for boats. It contains about
40 houses, and lies 16 miles s. w. of Alexandria,
106 n. by e. of Richmond, and 172 from Phila
delphia.)

(Colchester River, Nova Scotia. See Cohe
QUIT.)

COLCURA, a fortress of the kingdom of Chile,
built on the opposite shore of the river Biobio, to
restrain the incursions of the warlike Araucanian
Indians, who burnt and destroyed it in 1601.

COLD Bay, in the extremity of the n. coast of
the island of Jamaica, between the port Antonio
and the n. e. point.

(COLD Spring, in the island of Jamaica, is a
villa six miles from the high lands of Liguania.
The grounds are in a high state of improvement.

Page Notes

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page