LatAm Digital Edition and Gazetteer

OverviewStatisticsSubjects

The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]

503
Indexed

CON

or New Spain, was built bj the Spaniards, as well as the stations of St. Michael and St. Philip, to secure the road from Mechoacan to the silver mines of Zacatea. They have also given this name to several boroughs of America; as to that in Hispaniola island, and to a sea-port of California, &C.)

CONCHA, San Martin de la, a town and capital of the province and corregimiento of Quillota in the kingdom of Chile ; founded in 1726 by the Licentiate Don Joseph dc Santiago Concha, who gave it his name, being at the time temporal president of this kingdom. Its situation is in a valley, the most beautiful and fertile of any in the Jcingdom, and it particularly abounds in wheat. It has been celebrated for the abundance of gold that has been taken out of a mine within its district, and for the protection of which a fort had been built by Pedro de Valdivia. It has a very ^ood parish church, three convents of the religious orders of St. Francis, St. Augustin, and La Merced, and a collec^e which belona-ed to the regulars of the company of Jesuits, and which is at present occupied by {jic monks of St. Domingo, and a house of retirement for spiritual exercies, founded and endowed by a certain individual. In the district of this city European chesnuts grow, and not far from it is a lime-kiln belonging to the king, and which renders a supply for the works going on at the garrison of Valdivia. Nine leagues from Valparayso. Lat, 32^48' s. Long. 71° 10' zo.

Concha, a settlement of Indians of S. Carolina; situate near the source of the river Sonlahowe.

Concha, a bay on the coast of the province and government of Santa Marta, to the e. of the cape of La Aguja.

Concha, a settlement of the province and government of Tucumán in Peru ; situate at the moiitli of the river of its name, and where it enters the Pasage.

Concha, a river in the jurisdiction of the city of Salta, runs e. and enters the Pasage between the river Blanco and that of Metau.

CONCHACHITOUU, a settlement of Indians of S. Carolina, where a fort has been built by the English for the defence of the establishment which they hold there.

CONCHALI, a river of the province and corregimienlo of Quillota in the kingdom of Chile. It runs Z 0 . and enters the sea.

CONCHAMARCA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Huanuco in Peru ; anaexed to the curacy of San Miguel de Huacar.

CONCHAO, a settlement of the province and

CON 503

corregimiento of Caxatambo in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Andajes.

(CONCHAS, a parish of the province and government of Buenos Ayres ; situate on a river of the same name, about six leagues n. zs. of Buenos Ayres. Lat. 34° 24' 56" s. Long. 58° 23' 30" ay.)

Conchas, a small river of the province and government of Buenos Ayres. It runs n. e. and enters the river La Plata, at a small distance from the capital.

Conchas, another river, in the province and captainship of the Rio Grande in Brazil. It is small, rises near the coast, and empties itself at the mouth of that of Amargoso.

Conchas, another, of the kingdom of Nueva España, which runs into the sea at the bay of Mexico, being first united to the Bravo.

Conchas, another, a small river of the province and government of Buenos Ayres, distinct from that of which we have spoken. It runs zso. and enters the Parana, close to the settlement of La Baxada de Santa Fe.

(CONCHATTAS, Indians of N. America, almost the same people as the Allibamis. They first lived on Bayau Chico, in Appelousa district ; but, four years ago, moved to the river Sabine, settled themselves on the e. bank, where they now live, in nearly a s. direction from Natchitoch, and distant about 80 miles. They call their number of men about 160 ; but say, if they were altogether, they would amount to 200. Several families of them live in detached settlements. They are good hunters. Game is here in plenty. They kill an uncommon number of bears. One man alone, during the summer and fall hunting, sometimes kills 400 deer, and sells his skins at 40 dollars per 100. The bears usually yield from eight to 12 gallons of oil, each of which never sells for less than a dollar a gallon, and the skin a dollar more. No great quantity of the meat is saved. What the hunters do not use when out, they generally give to their dogs. The Conchattas are friendly with all other Indians, and speak well of their neighbours the Carankouas, who, they say, live about 80 miles s. of them, on the bay, which is the nearest point to the sea from Natchitoches. A tew families of Chactaws have lately settled near them from Bayau Bceiif. The Conchattas speak Creek, which is their native language, and Chactaw, and several of them English ; and one or two of tliem can read it a little.)

CONCHOS, San Francisco DE LOS, a Settlement and garrison of the province of the Tepeguana, and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya ; situate

Last edit almost 4 years ago by kmr3934
506
Indexed

506

CON

Chuquibamba, and the other settlements of its jurisdiction, -which comprehend nine curacies, are the following :

Chuquibamba,

San Pedro de Illotnas, Andaray, Yanaquihua, Chorunga,

Alpacaj,

Llanca,

Cayaraiii,

Areata,

Salamanca,

Chichas,

Quechalla,

Belinga,

Andaliua,

Cliilca and Marca, Viraco,

Pampacolca, Umachulco,

H uancarama, Orcopampa,

Chachas,

Ayo,

San J nan Crisostomo de Choco,

Ucuchacas, Machahuay,

Arirahua, Tipan.

CONDIRAS, an arm of the river Jamunda, in the country of Las Amazonas, and in the Portuguese possessions. It runs from the lake Maripava, and enters the Maranon.

CONDOCONDO, a settlement of the province and corre^imiento of Pariá in Peru.

CONDONOMA, a mine, celebrated for its abundance of silver, of the province and corregimiento of Tinta in Peru.

CONDORGUASI, a settlement of the province and government of Tucumán in Peru ; belonging to the jurisdiction of Jujui, situate on the shore of the river Laquiaca.

CONDOROMA, a settlement and asiento of the silver mines of the province of Canes and Canches or Tinta in Peru, -where, during tempests of thunder and lightning, is experienced a singular phenomenon ; namely, a certain prickly sensation upon the hands and face, -which they called moscas, (flies), though none of these insects are ever seen. It is indeed attributed to the air, which is at that time highly charged with electric fluid ; the effects of which may be observed on the handles of sticks, buckles, lace, and other metal trinkets ; the same effects ceasing as soon as the tempest is over. It is observed, that in no other parts is the same phenomenon known to exist.

CONDOROMA, another settlement, of the province and government of Chucuito in the same kingdom ; situate on the shore of the lake.

CONDUITE, or CoNDUITA, a small river of the province and country of the Iroquees Indians. It runs w. forming a curve, and enters the lake Oswego.

(CONDUSKEEG, a settlement in the district of Maine, in Hancock county, containing 567 inhabitants.)

CONEUAGUANET, a small river of the pro-

C O N

vince and colony of Pennsylvania and counfy of Cumberland. It runs c. and enters the Susquehanna.

CONEGA, a small island of the s. coast of the island of Newfoundland, between the isle of Despair and port Bartran.

CONEGHTA, a small river of S. Carolina. It rises in the territory of the Tuscaroras Indians, runs s. e. and enters the Neus.

(CONEGOCHEAGUE Creek rises near Mercersburg, Franklin county, Pensylvania, runs s. in a -winding course, and after supplying a number of mills, empties into the Potowmack, at William port, in W ashington county, Maryland ; 19 miles s. e. of Hancock, and eight miles s, of the Pennsylvania line.)

CONEGOGEE, a small river of the province and colony of Maryland. It runs s. and enters the Potowmack.

CONEIUAGA, a small river of the province and colony of Pennsylvania, in the county of York, It runs e. and enters the Susquehanna.

(CONEMAUGH River, and Little Cor emaugh, are the head waters of Kiskemanitas, in Pennsylvania : after passing through Laurel hill and Chesnut ridge, Conemaugh takes that name, and empties into the Alleghany, 29 miles n. e. of Pittsburg. It is navigable for boats, and there is -a portage of 18 miles between it and the Frankstown branch of Juniata river.)

(CONENTES, Las, a city of La Plata or Paraguay in S. America, in the diocese of Buenos Ayres.)

(CONESTEO, a w. w. branch of Tioga river in New York. See Canjcodeo Creek.)

CONESTOGA, a settlement of Indians of the same province and colony as the former river ; situate between the e. and w. arms of the river Susquehanna, where the English have a fort and establishment for its defence.

Conestoga, a river of this province, whichruns w. then turns s. and enters the Susquehanna.

(CONESUS, a small lake in the Genessee country. New York, which sends its waters n. w, to Genessee river.)

CONETLA, a settlement of the province and alcaldia mayor of Comitlan in the kingdom of Guatemala.

CONFINES. See Villanueva de los Infantes.

CONFUSO. See Togones.

CONG, a small river of the province and c^piainship of Rio Grande in Brazil. It rises near the coast, runs e. and enters the sea between the river Goyana and the settlement of Gonzalo.

Last edit almost 4 years ago by kmr3934
513
Indexed

coo

coo

513

CONUENTOS, another settlement in thh province and corregimiento of Chillan in the kingdom of Chile.

CONUENTILLO, a settlement of the province and government of Tucumán, in the district of the capital ; situate to the of the same.

(CONVERSATION Point, a headland on the s. side of a bay on the coast of California. Lat. 30' Long. 119°t0.)

(CONWAY, a township in the province of New Brunswick, Sudbury county, on the w. bank of St. John’s river. It has the bayofFundyon the and at the westernmost point of the township there is a pretty good harbour, called Musquash cove.)

(Conway, a township in the ti. e. corner of Strafford county, New Hampshire, on a bend in Saco river, incorporated in J765, and contains 574 inhabitants. It was called Pigwacket by the Indians.)

(Conway, a thriving township in Hampshire county, Massachusetts, incorporated in 1767, and contains 2092 inhabitants. It lies 13 miles n. w. of Northampton, and 115 n.w. by w. of Boston.)

(CONYA, a river in Surinam, or Dutch Guinea, S. America.)

(COOK’S River, in the n. w. coast of N. America, lies n. w. of Prince William’s sound, and 1000 miles n. w. of Nootka sound. It promises to vie with the most considerable ones already known. It was traced by Captain Cook for 210 miles from the mouth, as high as lat. 61° 30' n. and so far as is discovered, opens a very considerable inland navigation by its various branches ; the inhabitants seemed to be of the same race with those of Prince William’s sound, and like them had glass beads ami knives, and were also clothed in fine furs.)

(COOKHOUSE, on the Cooquago branch of Delaware river, is situated in the township of Colchester, New York, 18 miles s. of the mouth of Unadilla river.)

(COOLOOME, an Indian town situated on the w. side of Tallapoose river, a bratich of the Mobile.)

COONI, a settlement of the province and correghniento of Cicasica in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Mecapaca.

COOPER, a river of the province and coloiij' of Georgia. It runs s. e. then s. and enters the sea.

(Cooper’s Island, one of the Lesser Virgin isles in the W. Indies, situated s.w. of Ginger island, and uninhabited. It is five miles long, and one broad.)

VOL. I.

(Cooper, a large and navigable river which mingles its waters with Ashley river, below Charleston ^ity in S. Carolina. These form a spacious and convenient harbour, which communicates with the ocean, just below Sullivan’s island, which it leaves on the n. seven miles s. e. of the city. In these rivers the tide rises 6| feet. Cooper river is a mile wide at the ferry, nine miles above Charles, town.)

(Cooper’s Town, a post-town and township in Otsego county. New York, and is the compact part of the township of Otsego, and the chief town of the country round lake Otsego. It is pleasantly situated at the s. w. end of the lake, on its banks, and those of its outlet ; 12 miles n. w. of Cherry valley, and 73 w. of Albany. Here are a courthouse, gaol, and academy. In 1791 it contained 292 inhabitants. In 1789 it had but three houses only ; and in the spring 1795, 50 houses had been erected, ofwhich above a fourth part were respectable two-story dwelling-houses, with every proportionable improvement, on a plan regularly laid out in squares. Lat. 42° 36' n. Long. 74° 58' M.] [Cooper’s Town, Pennsylvania, is situated on the Susquehannah river. This place in 1785 was a wilderness ; nine years after it contained 1800 inhabitants, a large and handsome church, with a steeple, a market-house and a bettering house, a library of 1200 volumes, and an academy of 64 scholars. Four hundred and seventy pipes were laid under ground, for the purpose of bringing water from West mountain, and conducting it to every house in town.)

(COOP’S Town, in Harford county, Maryland, lies 12 miles n. w. of Harford, and 22 n. e. of Baltimore, measuring in a straight line.)

(COOS, or Cohos. The country called Upper and Lower Coos lies on Connecticut river, between 20 and 40 miles above Dartmouth college. Upper Coos is the country of Upper Amonoosuck river, on John and Israel rivers. Lower Coos lies below the town of Haverhill, s. of th« Lower Amonoosuck. The distance from Upper Coos, to the tide in Kennebeck river, was measured in 1793, and was found to be but 90 miles.)

(COOSADES, an Indian town on Alabama river, about 60 miles above its mouth, on Mobile river, below M‘Gillivray’s town, and opposite the mouth of the Oakfuskee.)

(COOSA Hatchee, or Coosaw, a river of S. Carolina, which rises in Orangeburg district, and running a 5. m. course, em.pties into Broad river and Whale branch, which separate Beaufort island from the mainland.)

(Coosa|COOSA, or Coosa Hatcha]]==, a river which 3 u

Last edit almost 4 years ago by kmr3934
518
Indexed

518

COR

COR

running to unite themselves with that of Toachi. It is to the n. of the paramo of Elenisa, and is sometimes covered with snow.

CORCA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Chilques and Masques in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Huanoquite.

(CORCAS, or Grand Corcas, an island almost in the form of a crescent, n. of St. Domingo, in the windward passage, about seven leagues w. of Turk’s island, and about 20 e. of Little Inagua or Heneagua. Lat. 21° 45' n. Long. 71° ob' w.)

CORCHUE, a settlement of Indians of the province and government of Valdivia in the kingdom of Chile.

CORCOLA, a settlement of the Portuguese, in the territory of the Giiayazas Indians, of the kingdom of Brazil; situate at the source and on the shore of the river Tocantines.

CORCOUADO, a settlement of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits in the province and government of Los Llanos, of the Nuevo Reyno de Gratiada, and which is at present under the charge of the religious order of St. Francis.

CORCOUADO, a rock or island of the S. sea, opposite the port of Santa, of the province and corregimiento of this name in Peru.

CORCULLA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Parinacochas in Peru.

CORDES. See Verdf.

CORDILLERA. See Andes.

CORDILLIERS, Montagne des, a mountain of the island of Cayenne, on the skirts of avliich the French have a fort and establishment for its defence.

CORDON, PUNTA DEL, a point of the coast of the w. head of the island of St. Domingo, on the shore of the port Pimiento.

CORDOVA, a province and alcaldia mayor of Nueva España; bounded w. by the province of Orizava ; n. by that of San Juan de los Llanos ; e. by that of the ancient Vera Cruz ; and s. by the rugged mountains of Songolica. It has on the 5. e. and s.s. e. the great estate of Mataanona, 10 leagues from Taliscona, the last boundary of Vera Cruz. It is of a hot and moist temperature ; the greater part of its district is composed of broken and uneven grounds, and mountains covered with cedars, walnuts, pines, and ocotales. It has also beautiful and fertile plains, abounds in birds and animals of the chase, and no less in fish, many trout and bohos being caught out of the rivers by which this province is irrigated. In the spacious plain of Altotonga runs a rapid river, by which it is

fertilized, and rendered abundant in every kind of vegetable production. Here also breed many flocks of cattle, which are the chief commerce of the place. The capital bears the same name.

This was founded in 1618, by order of the viceroy Don Diego Fernandez de Cordova, Marquis of Gnadalcazar, who gave it his name. It is of a hot and moist temperature ; situate to the w. of some small mountains, which form an half-circle, and are surrounded by many umbrageous trees. The parish church is magnificent, of exquisite architecture, and rich ornaments. Here is a convent of the religious Descalzos (barefooted order) of St. Francis, and one of St. Hippolyte dela Caridad, in which there is an hospital for the sick Spaniards, and for the black slaves, endowed by the masters and proprietors of certain mills, in which an infinite quantity of sugar is made. It abounds in this artich', with those of tobacco, China oranges, ajonjoli, large cattle, and swine ; as also other fruits and articles of merchandize peculiar to Europe and the kingdom itself. [Hun.boldt assert.s that the environs of Cordova and Orizaba produce all the tobacco consumed in New Spain.] Its population consists of 260 families of Spaniards, 126 of Mustees, 70 of Mulattoes and Negroes, and 273 of Mexican Indians ; of many others also who are of various classes, and Avho work in the sugar-mills. Forty-eight leagues to the e. «. c. of Mexico, in lat. 18° 50' ; long. 96° 56'. Theother settlements of this jurisdiction are,

Santa Ana de Zacan, San Diego,

Chocaman,

Yxhuatlan,

Coscomatepec,

Sta. Maria Magdalena, Calcahualco,

S. Antonio Huatuzco, Amatlan de los Reyes,

San Bartolome, Totutla,

Copan,

Zentla,

San Diego Huatuzco, San J uan de la Punta, San Lorenzo.

Cordova, another city, the capital of the provinco and government of Tucumán in Peru ; founded by the governor of that province, Geronimo Cabrera, in 1573, and not by Juan Nuilezde Prado, in 1549, according to the erroneous account of the Exjesuit Coleti. It was in the territory of the Comichingones Indians, and part which they called Kisliisacate, on the shore of the river Piicani ; but removed from thence to the x. part of the same river ; the parish being dedicated to Nuestra Senora de la Pena of France, and being under the obligation of celebrating its festival on the day of the conception, when it was also usual to display the spectacle of a bull-fight. It is situate in a narrow bay, close to which is a lotty n'ountain. It is much exposed to inundations in the rainy

Last edit almost 4 years ago by kmr3934
523
Indexed

COR

COR

523

CORORAMO, a small river of tbe province and government of Guayana. It rises to the w. of the lake Icupa, runs n. and enters the Paraguay.

COROYA, a settlement of the province and government of Tucumán in Peru ; of the district and jurisdiction of the city of Cordoba ; situate on the shore of the river Priraero.

COROYO, a lake of the province and country of Las Amazonas, in the Portuguese possessions. It is in the island of Topinambes, and is formed by the waters of the Maranon. '

COROZAL, or Pileta, a settlement of the province and government of Cartagena in the kingdom of Tierra Firme.

CORPAHUASI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Cotabamba in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Huaillati.

CORPANQUI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Caxatambo in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Tillos.

CORPUS-CHRISTI, a settlement of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits in the province and government of Paraguay ; situate on the shore of the river Parana, about 11 leagues n. e. of Candelaria. Lat. 27° T 23" s. Long. 55° 32' 29" w.

Corpus-Christi, a large, beautiful, and fertile valley of the province and government of Mariquita in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada.

CORQUEMAR, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Carangas in Peru, and of the archbishopric of Charcas.

CORQUINA, a river of the province and government of Guayana. It runs s. and enters the Orinoco.

CORRAL, a settlement of the district of Guadalabquen, of the kingdom of Chile ; situate on the shore of the river Valdivia.

Corral, Quemado, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Piura in Peru ; situate in an angle formed by a river of this name.

CORRALES, a settlement of the province and government of Antioquia ; situate on the shore of the river Perico, in the sierras of Guarnoco.

CORRALITO, a setdement of the province and government of Tucumán, in the district and jurisdiction of the city of Santiago del Estero ; to the e. of the same, and on the shore of the river Guarico.

CORRIENTES, S.Juan de , a city of the province and government of Buenos Ayres in Peru ; founded in 1588, on the e. coast of the river La Plata, near the part where those of the Parana and Paraguay unite. It has, besides the parish

church, three convents, of St. Domingo, St. Francis, and La Merced, and a college which belonged to the regulars of the company of Jesuits. This city has been harassed by the infidel Abipones Indians, who have here put to death many Spaniards, and taken others prisoners ; on which account a guard of horse-militia has been established for its defence. (It is 100 leagues n. of the city of Santa Fe, and contained, in 1801, 4300 inhabitants. Lat. 27° 27' 21" s.)

CORRIENTES, S. JUAN DE, a rivcr of the province and government of Darien in the kingdom of Tierra Firme. It rises in the mountains towards the n. and enters the sea in the large plain opposite the Mulatto isles.

CORRIENTES, S. JUAN DE, another river, of the province and government of Buenos Ayres, which rises from the lake Yberia, and runs s. w. to enter the river La Plata.

CORRIENTES, S. JUAN DE, another, of the province and government of Paraguay. It rises in the serrania which lies between the rivers Paraguay and Parana, runs w. and enters the former between the rivers Mboeri and P'areiri.

CORRIENTES, S. JUAN DE, another, of the province and captainship of Rey in Brazil, which runs s.s. e. and enters the large lake of Los Patos.

CORRIENTES, S. JUAN DE, a Cape of the s. coast of the island of Cuba : CO leagues from the island of Trinidad, and 13 from the cape of San Antonio.

CORRIENTES, S. JUAN DE, another cape, called also De Arenas Gordas, on the coast which lies between the river La Plata and the straits of Magellan, between the capes San Antonio and Saa Andres.

CORRIENTES, S. JUAN DE, another Cape OF point of the coast, in the province and captainship of Seara, between the river Molitatuba and the port Palmeras.

(CORTLANDT, a township in the n. part of the county of W. Chester, on the e. bank of Hudson river. New York, containing 1932 inhabitants, of whom 66 are slaves. Of its inhabitants, in 1796, 305 were electors.)

CORUPA, a river of the province and government of Darien in the kingdom of Tierra Firme. It rises near the coast of the N. sea to the e. of the province, and enters the Tarina.

CORUPA, another river. See Curupa.

CORUPO, San Francisco de, a settlement of the head settlement of Uruapa, and alcaldia mayor of Valladolid, in the province and bishopric of Mechoacan. It contains S3 families of Indians, 3x2

Last edit almost 4 years ago by kmr3934
Displaying Page 41 - 45 of 48 in total