The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
C O K
COIUCA, San Miguel de, a settlement and head settlement of tlie district of the government of Acapulco in Nueva Espana. It contains 137 families of Indians, and is nine leagues to the n. e. of its capital. Close by this, and annexed to it, is another settlement, called Chinas, with 120 families.
Coiuca, with the dedicatory title of San Agustin, another settlement of the head settlement and alcaldin mayor of Zacatula in the same kingdom ; containing 32 families of Indians and some Mustees, and being annexed to the curacy of its capital.
COIUTLA, a settlement of the head settlement and alcaldia mayor of Zochicoatlan in Nueva Espana ; situate on a plain surrounded bj^ heights. It is annexed to the curacy of its capital, and contains 37 families of Indians, being; 15 leagrucs distant from its capital.
(COKESBURY College, in the town of Abington, in Harford county, Maryland, is an institution which bids fair to promote the improvement of science, and the cultivation of virtue. It was founded by the methodists in 1785, and has its name in honour of Thomas Coke and Francis Asbury, the American bishops of the methodist episcopal church. The edifice is of brick, handsomely built on a healthy spot, enjoying a fine air and a very extensive prospect. The college was erected, and is wholly supported by subscription and voluntary donations. The students, who are to consist of the sons of travelling preachers, annual subscribers, members of the society, and orphans, are instructed in English, Latin, Greek, logic, rhetoric, history, geography, natural philosophy,
and astronomy ; and when the finances of the college will admit, they are to be taught the Hebrew, French, and German languages. The rules for the private conduct of the students extend to their amusements ; and all tend to promote regularity, encourage industry, and to nip the buds of idleness and vice. Their recreations without doors are walking, gardening, riding, andbathiiig; within doors they have tools and accommodations for the carpenter’s, joiner’s, cabinet-maker’s, or turner’s business. These they are taught to consider as pleasing and healthful recreations, both for the body and mind.]
COLAN, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Piura in Peru, on the coast of the Pacific ; annexed to the curacy of Paita. its territory produces in abundance fruits and vegetables, which are carried for the supply of its capital. All its inhabitants are either agriculturists or fishermen. It is watered by the river Achira, also called Colan, as well as the settlement ; and though distinct from Cachimayu, it is not so from Catamayu, as is erroneously stated by Mr. La Martiniere. [Here they make large rafts of logs, which will carry 60 or 70 tons of goods ; with these they make long voyages, even to Panama, 5 or 600 leagues distant, 'fhey have a mast with a sail fastened to it. They always go before the wind, being unable to ply against it ; and therefore only fit for these seas, where the wind is always in a manner the same, not varying above a point or two all the way from Lima, till they come into the bay of Panama ; and there they must sometimes w'ait for a change. Their cargo is usually wine, oil, sugar, Quito cloth, soap, and dressed goat-skins. The float is usually navigated by three or four men, who sell their float where they dispose of their cargo ; and return as passengers to the port they came from. The Indians go out at night by the help of the land-wind with fishing floats, more manageable than the others, though these have masts and sails too, and return again in the dav time with the sea-wind.] Lat. 4° 56' s.
Colan, the aforesaid river. See Cat am a yu.
of a hot and moist temperature, and inhabited by 107 families of Indians ; being 15 leagues n.e. of its capital.
COPANDARO, Santiago de, a settlement of the head settlement of Tuzantla, and alcaldia mayor of Maravatio, in Nueva Espaha. It contains 34 families of Indians, and is 10 leagues to the s. of its head settlement. In it is a convent of the religious order of St. Augustin, Avhicli is one of the best convents in the kingdom.
COPENAME, a river of the province and government of Guayana, in the Dutch possessions or colony of Surinam. It runs n. and unites itself with the Sarameca at its mouth, to form another mouth, and enter into the sea.
COPER, a small settlement of the Nuevo Reyno de Granada, in the road which leads from Santa Fe to Muzo ; situate upon an height, near the mountain Apari, where, upon the descent which is called Cuesta de Macanazos, and at its skirt, runs the river Villaraisar. Near it has been found a mine of earth, esteemed an excellent antidote against poisons.
COPERE, a settlement of the province and jurisdiction of Muzo, in the corregimiento of Tunja, of the N uevo Reyno de Granada. It is of a benign temperature, produces maize, cotton, yucas^ plantains, and the other fruits of its climate. In the territory of this curacy rises the river called Villamisar, memorable for the battle fought there by the Indians and Captain Luis Lanchero, in which the former were routed. It contains 150 housekeepers, and 30 Indians.
COPIA, one of the ancient provinces which were formed by that of Popayan in the time of the Indians ; and bounded by the province of Cartama. At present its limits are not known, since the Spaniards have changed both the divisions and names.
COPIAPO, a province and corregimienlo of the kingdom of Chile ; bounded n. by the province of Atacama, of the archbishopric of Charcas, and kingdom of Peru ; e. by the territory of the city of Rioja, of the province of Tucuman, the cordillera running between ; s. by the province of Coquitnbo, and w, by the Pacific ocean. Its extent is 60 leagues n. s. and from 20 to three e. w. It very seldom rains here ; cattle is therefore scarce, although it nevertheless produces every sort of grain, of excellent quality, and fruits of various kinds. The temperature is very benign throughout the year.
it has many mines of copper, most pure and rich sulphur, loadstone, lapis lazuli, and gold ; some of wliicJi are worked ; and it is not many years ago that some silver mines also were discovered. It produces a kind of small frees, which are planted and cultivated upon the banks of the streams and aqueducts, called jonM/o hobo, and which distil a liquor, which, being prepared over the fire, serves instead of pitch for lining the vessels in which the wine in that kingdom is kept. The conger eel abounds upon the coast, and there is a particular tribe of Indians, called Changes, who are devoted to this kind of fishery, living the whole year upon the coasts, and carrying about their wives and children upon rafts, until they find out a creek likely to afford them what they are in search of: these fish are then bought by the natives, and carried to be sold at the capital of the kingdom, Santiago. Here is also a trade of sulphur, since it is so fine that it needs never to be purified, and is consequently worth three dollars the canlaro [a cantaro is about four gallons]. It abounds no less in nitre, on which account all the waters here are brackish, and there is little indeed that is sweet. This province is very thinly peopled, since it has no other population than such as is found in the capital, which is called, San Francisco de la Selva. Its inhabitants, which should amount to 5000, of all sexes and ages, are dispersed about in country farms. (The province of Copiapo owes its name, according to the Indian tradition, to the great quantity of turquoises found in its mountains. Though these stones ought, with propriety, to be classed amongst the concretions, as they arc only the petrified teeth or bones of animals, coloured by metallic vapours, we may place them amongst the precious stones. The turquoises of Copiapo are usually of a greenish blue ; some, however, are found of a deep blue, which are very hard, and known by the name of the turquoises of the old rock. The amazing fertility of the soil of this province has given rise to assertions, which, on the first blush, might appear fabulous. Mr. Sanson, of Abbeville, in his Geography, asserts that its valleys frequently yield 300 for one. See Chile.)
Copiapo, a settlement of the same.
Copiapo, a mountain, in which there is a volcano, which at different times has occasioned much mischief, and is in lat. 26°. (This mountain consists entirely of a marble, striped with bands of various colours, which have a very beau3 u 2
seasons, and is flooded by waters rushing down through a neighbouring channel, and in fact Avould be hereby rendered iinitdiabitable, but for the mounds Avhich have been raised for its defence. One half of the city experiences in one day a variation of all the winds from n. to s. These winds, thus changing, are accompanied with great tempests of thunder and lightning. At one moment the heat which accompanies the n. wind is excessive, and at another the cold which accompanies the s. is intolerable. It is, indeed, to this cause that the number of sudden deaths which occur here are attributed. The city is small, and nearly of a square figure, but the buildings are superior to any in the province. It has three convents ; those of the religious order of St. Francis, St. Domingo, and La Merced, an hospital of Bethleraites, with the dedicatory title of San Roque ; two monasteries of nuns, tlie one of Santa Teresa, the other of Santa Clara, and two colleges with the titles of universities, it is the head of a bishopric, erected in 1570, and is very rich, owing to the great commerce which it carries on in mules bought in the province of Buenos Ayres, and fattened in the pastures here, for the purpose of being sold for the supply of the other provinces, and in fact of the whole of Peru. It abounds in all kinds of productions, and is 70 leagues from Santiago del Estero, to the s. in 62° 39'; long. 31° 20' s. lat. (For an account of the late revolutions of this place, see La Plata.)
Cordova, another city, in the province and government of Cumaná, founded by Gonzalo de Ocampo in 1525, near the sea-coast. It is so reduced and poor, that it does not deserve the name of a city. It is bounded by the Caribes Indians.
CORE, Bank of, an isle of the N. Sea, near the coast of S. Carolina, between those of Ocacook and Drum.
CORENA, a port on the coast of the province
and captainship of the Rio Janeiro in Brazil, close to the island of Santa Maria.
CORENTIN, a river of the province and colony of Surinam, or part of Guayana in the Dutch possessions, according to the last advices ot the Father Bernardo Rosclla of the extinguished society, Avhich advices were received from the Dutch, and served, in 1745, to the making the map of this province and the Orinoco. It rises in the n. part of the famed lake Parime, which some have thought to exist merely in fable. It runs s. wateringtlie Dutch colonies; and five leaguesto the w. of Berbice, and to the s. e. of the Orinoco, empties itself into the sea, in 5° 22' n. lat. : at its entrance it is one league wide. The English call it Devil’s creek, which signifies Barranco del Diablo. In the interior of its course it has some sand-banks, which extend for three leagues, and render its navigation difficult, notwithstanding that at the low tide there arc still some channels of water. In this river are likewise three small well cultivated islands, lying in a direction from n. tov. They are very fertile, and covered with trees, and the soundings of the river about them varies from five to six fathoms.
CORIANA. See Coro.
COROICO, a settlement of the province and eorregimiento of Cicasica in Peru ; situate on the shore of the river of its name, where there is a port for small vessels. This river rises in the cordillera of Ancuma, to the s. of the settlement of Palca, and to the e. of the city of La Paz. It runs in a very rapid course to the e. and forming a curve turns n. and enters the w. side of the Beni, in lat. 16° 50' s.
CORONA-REAL, a city of the province of Guayana, and government of Curaana, founded on the shores of the river Orinoco in 1759, by the Rear-Admiral Don Joseph de Iturriaga, for which purpose he assembled together some wandering people of the provinces of Caracas and Barcelona. At present, however, it is as it were desert and abandoned, since its inhabitants have returned to their former savage state of life, having been constantly pursued and harassed by the Charibes Indians, against whom they could no longer maintain their ground, after that the king’s garrison had been withdrawn, and since, owing to the distance at which they were situate from the capital, it was in vain for them to look for any succour from that quarter.
C O R
dians, and to its district belong nine other settlements. It lies one league to the n. of its capital.
COROPA, a spacious country of the province and government of Guayana, which extends itself between the river Coropatuba to the s. w. the Maranon to the s. the Avari to the e. the mountains of Oyacop of the Charibes Indians to the n. and the mountains of Dorado or Manoa to the n.w. The whole of its territory is, as it were, unknown. The Portuguese possess the shores of the Maranon and the sea-coast as far as the bay of Vicente Pinzon ; the Dutch of the colony of Surinam, by the river Esequevo or Esquivo, called also Rupununi, have penetrated as far as the Maranon, by the river Paranapitinga. The mountains, which some have represented as being full of gold, silver, and precious stones, sparkling in the rays of the sun, are merely fables, which, at the beginning of the conquests, deceived many who had gone in search of these rich treasures, and fell a sacrifice to the fatigues and labours which they experienced in these dry and mountainous countries. The Portuguese have constructed here two forts, called Paru and Macapa. Mr. De la Martiniere, with his usual want of accuracy, says that the Portuguese have a settlement called Coropa, at the mouth of the river Coropatuba, where it enters the Maranon ; the Coropatuba joins the Maranon on the n. side, in the country of Coropa, and at the settlement of this name ; this settlement being nothing more than a small fort, and lying in the province of Topayos, on the s. shore of the Maranon, and being known by the name ofCurupa, in the chart published in 1744, and in that of the Father Juan Magnin, in 1749.
COROPATUBA. See Curupatuba.
C O U
into tlie Banos, and which, after the great cascade, is known by the name of Pastaza. To the n. rises the Padregal, afterwards called Pita, as it passes through the llanura of Chillo ; and at the skirt of the mountain of Guangopolo, where the plain terminates, it unites itself with the Amag^uaiia, and then turning w. takes the names of Tumbaco and Huallabamba, to enter the Esmeraldas, which disembogues itself into the S. sea. At the skirt of this great mountain are the estates of Sinipu, Pongo, Pucaguaita, and Papaurca, It is distant from the settlement of Mula-halo half a league, and five leagues from its capital. In lat. 40° IPs. (The height of this volcano was discovered, in 1802, to be only 260 feet lower than the crater of Antisana, which is 19,130 feet above the level of the sea.)
COTOPAXI. See Cotopacsi.
COTUI, a town of St. Domingo ; founded, in 1504, by Rodrigo Mexia deTruxillo, by the order of the cometidador mayor of Alca.ntara, Nicolas de Obando, 16 leagues to the n. of the capital, St. Domingo, on the skirt of some mountains which are 12 leagues in height, and at the distance of two leagues from the river Yauna. It is a small and poor town. Its commerce depends upon the salting of meats, and in preparing tallow and hides to carry to St. Domingo, and in the chase of wild goats, which are sold to the French. In its mountains is a copper mine, two leagues to the s. e. of the town. The Bucaniers, a French people of the island of Tortuga, commanded by Mr. Pouancy, their governor, took and sacked it in 1676. (In
1505, the gold mines were worked here. The copper mine above alluded to is in the mountain of Meymon, whence comes the river of the same name, and is so rich, that the metal, when refined, will produce eight per cent, of gold. Here are also found excellent lapis lazuli, a streaked chalk, that some painters prefer to bole for gilding, loadstone, emeralds, and iron. The iron is of the best quality, and might be conveyed from the chain of Sevico by means of the river Yuna. The soil here is excellent, and the plantains produced here are of such superior quality, that this manna of the
Antilles is called, at St. Domingo, Sunday plantains. The people cultivate tobacco, but are chiefly employed in breeding swine. The inhabitants are called clownish, and of an unsociable character. The town is situated half a league from the s. w. bank of the Yuna, which becomes unnavigable near this place, about 13 leagues from its mouth, in the bay of Samana. It contains 160 scattered houses, in the middle of a little savana, and surrounded Avith woods, SO leagues n. of St. Domingo, and 15 s.e. of St. Yago.)
CORUCO. Sec Cabo.
COUPEE, a point of the coast and shore of the Mississippi in Canada, [it is also called Cut Point, and is a short turn in the river Mississippi, about 35 miles above Mantchac fort, at the gut of Ibberville, and 259 from the mouth of the river. Charlevoix relates that the river formerly made a great turn here, and some Canadians, by deepening the channel of a small brook, diverted the waters of the river into if, in the year 1722. The impetuosity of the stream was such, and the soil of so rich and loose a quality, that in a short time the point was entirely cut through, and the old channel left dry, except in inundations ; by which travellers save 14 feagues of their voyage. The new channel has been sounded Avith a line of SO fathoms, without finding bottom. The Spanish settlements of Point Coupee extend 20 miles on the w. side of the Mississippi, and there are some plantations back on the side of La Fause Riviere, through Avhich the Mississippi passed about 70 years ago. The fort at Point Coupee is a square