Pages That Mention Rio Grande
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
A G U
A G U
from s. to e. between 'the rivers Mechicor and St. John, and entering the sea at the mouth of the bay of Fundy.
AGREDA, or NUEVA MA'LAGA, a city of the province and government of Popayan, in the kingdom of Quito, founded by Geronimo Aguado in 1541. It is small, and of a hot temperature, but abounds in gold mines. Forty-five leagues s. w. of its capital, 42 from Quito, and 37 to the e. of the S, sea.
Agua, a small island, situate near the k. coast of the island of Vaca, in the channel formed by the island of St. Domingo, in front of the bay of Mesle.
==Agua de Culebra, SAN FRANCISCO XAVIER DE LA==, 'a settlement of the province and government of Venezuela, a reduccionof Indians of the Capuchin fathers ; but the place is also inhabited by some Spanish families. It belongs to the
district and jurisdiction of the city of San Felipe ; and in its vicinity dwell a great number of people in the estates belonging to it, and which produce abundance of cacao, plantains, yucas, and other vegetable productions.
AGUACAGUA, a settlement of the province of Guayana, and government of Cumana, one of those belonging to the missions of the Catalanian Capuchin fathers. It is on the shore of the river Caroni, near the mouth, through which this enters the Orinoco. Lat. 8° 22' n. Long. 62^ 42' w.
AGUACATLAN, the head settlement of the district of the alcaldia mayor of Xala in N ueva Espana. In 1745 it contained 80 families of Indians, who employed themselves in the culture of maize and French beans. It has a convent of the religious order of St. Francis, and lies two leagues s. e. of its capital.
AGUADA, a settlement of the island of Portorico ; situate in the bay of its name (Aguda), between the capes Boriquen and St. Francis. It serves as an inlet for ships going to Tierra Firme and Nueva Espana to take in water. [Lat. 18° 23' «. Long. 67° 6' a;.]
Aguada (Small river), a small river of the province and
A G U
A G U
AGUADILLA, a river of the province and kingdom of Tierra Firme. It rises in the mountains on the s. and enters the large river Chagre very near its mouth, and the castle of this name. Here ships take in water, on account of the convenience of a bay, for the defence of which there is, upon the shore, a battery belonging to the same castle, which was built under the directions of Don Dionisio de Alcedo, in 1743.
AGUADORES, River of the, in the island of Cuba. It runs into the sea on the s. coast of this island, having at its mouth a watch-tower and guard to give notice of vessels which may enter the port of Santiago de Cuba, from whence it is seven leagues distant.
AGUAIO, a settlement of the province and government of Sierra Gorda, in the bay of Mexico, and kingdom of Nueva España, founded in the year 1748 by the Colonel of the militia of Queretaro, Don Joseph de Escandon, Count of Sierra Gorda.
AGUALULCO, a settlement and capital of the jurisdiction of [Izatlan]] in Nueva Galicia. It has a convent of the religious order of St. Francis, and in 1745 it contained upwards of 100 families of Indians, including the wards of its district; 17 leagues w. of Guadalaxara. Lat. 20° 44' n. Long. 103° 33' w.
AGUAMENA, a settlement of the jurisdiction of Santiago de las Atalayas, and government of San Juan de los Llanos, in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada, annexed to the curacy of that city. It is of a hot temperature, and produces the same fruits as the other settlements of this province.
AGUANATO, Santa Maria de, a settlement of the head settlement of the district of Puruandiro, and alcaldia mayor of Valladolid, in the province and bishopric of Mechoacan. It is of a cold temperature, situate at the foot of the sierra of Curupo, and contains 36 families of Indians, who gain their livelihood by trading in dressed hides. Sixteen leagues from Pasquaro or Valladolid.
AGUANOS, San Antonio de, a settlement of the province and government of Mainas in the kingdom of Quito ; one of those which belonged to the missions held there by the Jesuits, and thus called from the nation of Indians of whom it is composed. It was founded in 1670 by the father Lorenzo Lucero.
AGUAPAI, a river of the province and government of Paraguay. It rises between the Parana and the Uruguay, near the settleiment of San Carlos, runs j. forming a curve, and returning c. enters the last of the above rivers not far from the settlement of La Cruz.
in America, and they reckon the gold it has produced at 33 millions of dollars, without counting that which has been concealed ; but at present they scarce procure from it 200 pound weight a year, on account of the increased charges of labour, and the want of energy in the inhabitants. Many lumps of gold have been found here, among which there is still remembered to have been one of the figure of a horse, which weighed 100 weight and some odd pounds, and which was carried to the Emperor Charles V. ; and likewise another lump which was sent to Philip II. bearing a resemblance to the head of a man, which, however, was lost together with much other riches in the channel of Bahama. This latter lump was found in the washing place of Ynahuaya. Nearly the whole of the territory of this province is interspered with gold. The most celebrated washing places that it had were called San Juan del Oro, Paulo Coya, Ananea, and that which was superior to all, Aporoma. In the year 1713, a lump of silver also was discovered in the mountain of Ucuntaya, being of a very solid piece of metal, and of prodigious value ; in its rivers are found sands of gold, to which at certain times of the year, the Indians have recourse, in order to pay their tributes. There are also other mines of silver and copper in various parts, and springs of hot water. It is very liable to earthquakes, and according to the tradition of the Indians, there was one which took place before the conquest, so large as to overturn mountains, and that, opening the earth, it swallowed up in an abyss many towns with their inhabitants. They likewise assert, that in the year 1747, another earthquake, throwing out of the ground a dirty and muddy water, thereby infected the rivers to such a degree as to cause a dreadful and general mortality. It has some large rivers as well as small ; all of which empty themselves into the Ynambari, thus rendering this river extremely abundant : towards the n. and n. e. which, as we have observed, is bounded by the infidel Indians, there are large tracts of ground covered with coca and rice, with an abundance of mountain fruits. In the aforesaid river they are accustomed to take shad and large dories by shooting them with muskets, or by piercing them with arrows or darts. There are also some lakes, which, although without fish, abound in ducks, snipes, and other aquatic fowl. The infidel Indians have made various irruptions into this province: its capital is Sandia, and its natives, who amount to 28,000, are divided into 26 settlements, as follows : The repartimiento received by the corregidor used to amount to 82,800 dollars, and it paid 662 yearly for alcavala.
S. Juan del Oro, Ynambari,
CARABAILLO, a river of the province and corregimiento of Cercado in Peru. It rises in the province of Canta from three lakes to the n. of the capital, and continues its course until it join the sea close to the point of Marques.
CARABAILLO, a settlement of this province and corregimiento.
CARABANA, a river of the province and government of Guayana, which runs to the s. and enters the Orinoco between the Corquina and the Arrewow. According to Bellin, in his map of the course of part of the Orinoco, it is distant from the other river called Corobana, which also enters the Orinoco on the opposite side.
CARABATANG, a river of the province and captainship of Rio Grande in Brazil. It rises in the sierra of the Tiguares Indians, near the coast, runs s. s. e. and enters the sea between the Cong and the Goyana.
CARABELAS, River of the, in the province and captainship of Puerto Seguro in Brazil. It rises in the cold sierra of the Pories Indians, runs s. e. and according to Cruz, e. and enters the sea opposite the bank of the Escollos (hidden rocks).
Carabelas, Chicas, a bay in the same island, and on the same coast, between the settlement of Guanajo and the Puerto del Poniente (w. port.)
CARABERES. See article Guarayos.
CARABUCO, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Omasuyos in Peru ; in the vicinity of which are the ruins of a chapel, which was dedicated to St. Bartholomew ; and the Indians have a tradition that the above-mentioned saint appeared here and preached the gospel to them : thus, in the principal altar of the church, they reverence a large cross of very strong wood, and which is celebrated for having wrought many miracles ; splinters of it being anxiously sought after by the faithful, wherefrom to form small crosses ;
[1803 amounted to 5,500,000, and the exports consisted of produce to the value of 4,000,000 dollars. He also states the population in 1808 at 900,000 souls. The receipts of Caracas, Guatemala, and Chile, are consumed within the country. The population of some of the chief cities is thus stated ; Caracas 40,000, La Guaira 6000, Puerto Cabello 7600, Coro 10,000. The harbour, or La Vela de Coro, as it is commonly called, and its environs, are supposed to contain not less than 2000. In 1797 three state prisoners were sent from Spain to Caracas, on account of their revolutionary propensities. Being treated with great indulgence by the officers and soldiers to whose care they were committed, they formed the project of a conspiracy against the government. They engaged a number of persons, some of them of consequence, in their party. After gaining their first converts, the spirit did not spread. The coldness and apathy of the people did not admit of the effervescene they desired. After the plot had been kept a secret for many months it was disclosed to the government. Some of the ringleaders escaped, and others were taken. It was found that seventy-two had entered into the conspiracy; six were executed. The rest either escaped, or were sent to the galleys or banished from the country. For an account of the recent revolution in Caracas, see Venezuela.]
Caracas, some islands of the N. sea near the coast of the kingdom of Tierra Firme, in the province and government of Cumana. They are six in number, all small and desert, serving as places of shelter to the Dutch traders, who carry on an illicit commerce on that coast.
CARACHIS, San Carlos de a settlement of the province and country of the Amazonas ; a reduccion of the missions which belonged to the abolished order of the Jesuits. It is at the mouth of the river Huerari, where this enters the Maranon.
CARAIMILLA, a settlement on the coast of the province and corregimiento aforementioned, between point Caraima Alta, and the isle of Obispo.
CARAMANTA, a city of the province and government of Antioquia in the new kingdom of Gratiada ; founded by Sebastian de Benalcazar in 1543, near the river Cauca. Its temperature is hot and unhealthy, but it is fertile in maize, vegetables, grain, and abounds with herds of swine : near it are many small rivers which enter the Cauca, and some salt pits of the whitest salt. On the mountains within its jurisdiction, are some settlements of barbarian Indians very little known. This city is indifferently peopled, and is 65 leagues distant to the n. e. of Popayan, and 50 from Antioquia. Long. 75° 33' w. Lat. 5° 58' «.