A G U
A G U
AGUADILLA, a river of the province and
kingdom of Tierra Firme. It rises in the moun-
tains on the s. and enters the large river Chagre
very near its mouth, and the castle of this name.
Here ships take in water, on account of the conve-
nience of a bay, for the defence of which there is,
upon the shore, a battery belonging to the same
castle, which was built under the directions of
Don Dionisio de Alcedo, in 1743.
AGUADORES, River of the, in the island
of Cuba. It runs into the sea on the s. coast of
this island, having at its mouth a watch-tower and
guard to give notice of vessels which may enter the
port of Santiago de Cuba, from whence it is
seven leagues distant.
AGUAIO, a settlement of the province and go-
vernment of Sierra Gorda, in the bay of Mexico,
and kingdom of Nueva España, founded in the
year 1748 by the Colonel of the militia of Quere-
taro, Don Joseph de Escandon, Count of Sierra
AGUALULCO, a settlement and capital of the
jurisdiction of [Izatlan]] in Nueva Galicia. It has
a convent of the religious order of St. Francis, and
in 1745 it contained upwards of 100 families of
Indians, including the wards of its district; 17
leagues w. of Guadalaxara. Lat. 20° 44' n.
Long. 103° 33' w.
AGUAMENA, a settlement of the jurisdiction
of Santiago de las Atalayas, and government of
San Juan de los Llanos, in the Nuevo Reyno de
Granada, annexed to the curacy of that city. It is
of a hot temperature, and produces the same fruits
as the other settlements of this province.
AGUANATO, Santa Maria de, a settlement
of the head settlement of the district of Puruandiro,
^.nAalcaldia mayor of Valladolid, in the province
and bishopric of Mechoacan. It is of a cold tem-
perature, situate at the foot of the sierra of Curupo,
and contains 36 families of Indians, who gain their
livelihood by trading in dressed hides. Sixteen
leagues from Pasquaro or Valladolid.
AGUANOS, San Antonio de, a settlement
of the province and government of Mainas in the
kingdom of Quito ; one of those which belonged
to the missions held there by the Jesuits, and
thus called from the nation of Indians of whom it is
composed. It was founded in 1670 by the father
AGUAPAI, a river of the province and go-
vernment of Paraguay. It rises between the Pa-
rana and the Uruguay, near the settleiment of San
Carlos, runs j. forming a curve, and returning c.
enters the last of the above rivers not far from the
settlement of La Cruz.
Notes and Questions
Please sign in to write a note for this page