Pages That Mention Massachusetts
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
tilizes the valley which gives it its name ; and runs 30 leagues, collecting the waters of many other streams, mountain floods, and rivulets, which augment it to such a degree as to render the fording of it impracticable just where it enters the sea.
CHICAMOCHA, a river of the province and corregimiento of Tunja in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada. It rises in the paramo or mounlaindesert of Albarracin, between that city and the city of Santa Fe, on the 7i. side : when it passes through Tunja, being then merely a rivulet, it has the name of the river of Gallinazos, which it afterwards changes for that of Sogamoso ; and for that of Chia, Avhen it passes through this settlement. It is afterwards called Chicamocha, and passes through various provinces, until it becomes incorporated with the Magdalena, into which it enters in one large mouth. A little before this it forms a good port, called De la Tora, where there was formerly a settlement, but which is at present in a state of utter ruin.
(CHICAPEE, or Chickabee, a smrdl river in Massachusetts, which rises from several ponds in Worcester county, and running s.zo. unites with Ware river, and six miles further empties into the Connecticut at Springfield, on the e. bank of that river.)
CHICASAWS, a settlement of Indians of S. Carolina, comprising the Indians of this nation, who have here many other settlements ; in all of which the English have forts, and an establishment for their commerce and defence.
Chicasaws, a river of this province, which runs w. and enters the Mississippi 788 miles from its mouth, or entrance into the sea.
(CHICCAMOGGA, a large creek, which runs n.w. into Tennessee river. Its rnoutli is six miles above the Whirl, and about 27 s. w. from the mouth of the Ilivvassee. The Chiccamogga Indian towns lie on this creek, and on the bank of the Tennessee. See Ciiickamages.)
Quiaca serving as the line of division, vo. by that of Lipes, and n. by that of Porco. The district of Tarija belonging to this corregimiento, which is 40 leagues distant from the capital of Chichas, is bounded e. by the territories of the infidel Chiriguanos, Chanaes, and Mataguayos Indians, to the first settlements of which from the last habitations of Tarija there is a narrow, craggy, and mountainous route of 14 leagues in length. It is also bounded on the n. and w. by the valley of Pilaya, and on the s, by the jurisdiction of Xuxui. The district of Chichas is 140 leagues in circumference, and that of Tarija 80, being either of them intersected by some extensive seiTanias : in the boundaries of the former there are many farms and estates for breeding cattle, where are also produced potatoes, maize, wheat, barley and other grain, likewise some wine. Here are mines of gold and silver, which were formerly very rich ; it having been usual for the principal ones to yield some thousand marks in each caxon ; this being especially the case in the mines of Nueva Chocaya, which still yield to this da}-- 60 or 60 marks. Many of the metals found in these mines are worked up for useful purposes. The mines of Chilocoa have, on the Whole, been most celebrated fortlieir riches. The rivers, which are of some note, are that of Supacha, which flows down from the cordillera of Lipes, and running e. passes through the middle of the province until it enters the valley of Cinti, of the province of Pilaya and Paspaya ; and another, called Toropalca, which enters the province of Porco, and passes on to the same part of Cinti. The inhabitants of this district amount to 6200. In the settlement of Tatasi both men and women are subject to a distressing lunacy, which causes them to run wildly and heedlessly over the mountains, without any regard to the precipices which lie in their way ; since it has generally been observed that they dash themselves headlong down : if, however, it should happen that they are not killed, the fall, they say, frequently restores them to a sane mind. The observation, that the animals of this country, namely, \\ie vicunas and the native sheep, are subject to this malady, is without foundation ; but it is thought to arise from the peculiar eflluviasof the minerals abounding here, and which have a great tendency to cause convulsions. The women of tlie aforesaid settlement, when about to bring forth children, like to be delivered of them in the low parts of the qiiebradas, or deep glens. The settlements of this province are,
Santiago de Cota- San Antonio de Rio gaiia, Blanco,
far as the confines of the akaldia mayof of Tepique. It is of an hot temperature, abounding’ in maize, cotton, cocoa-trees, and other fruits peculiar to the climate : and particularly in large and small cattle, which breed in numberless wards and country estates. It has silver mines, which are worked to tolerable profit. It is but thinly peopled, and the greater part of its inhabitants arc Mustees and Negro slaves. It is watered by the river Canas, which rises in the jurisdiction of Acaponeta. The capital is of the same name. This was founded by Nufio de Guzman in 1531, and is the capital of the kingdom, and where the tribunal of royal audience and episcopal see were erected ; these being afterwards removed to the city of Guadalaxara. This latter city was at the same time made the capital, from its proximity to the shore of the S. sea, its distance from the same being only 12 leagues. It was at that time very wealthy, but it afterwards fell to decay ; the primacy was also taken from it, and it is nothing now but a miserable village. Its natives are the most polite and best affected to the Spaniards of any in the whole kingdom. (To the n. w. of Compostela, as well as in the districts of Autlan, Ahuxcatlan, and Acaponeta, a tobacco of a superior quality was formerly cultivated.) Lat. 21° 10' w. Long. 104° 40' w. The settlements of this jurisdiction are,
San Pedro, Mazatlan,
Cali may a, Xaltocan.
COMUATO, a small island of the lake or sea of Chalapa, in the district of the alcaldia mayor of Zamora, and kingdom of Nueva Espana. It is of a hot and moist temperature, surrounded by thick reeds and Indian fig-trees. In the dry season it communicates with the mainland. Its population is scanty, and consists of 20 families of Spaniards, and in its plains various herds of large cattle graze. Nine leagues from the capital.
COMUTA, a city of the province and captainship of Pará in Brazil, founded in 1581 by Juan Pedro de Olivciro, on the e. shore of the river Paeaxa. It is at present destroyed, and some small houses alone remain, where, for the convenienee of its situation, a small garrison of Portuguese resides.
CONAHASET, a rocky shoal of the coast of
the province and colony of New England, at the entrance of port Boston.
CONCARY, a river of the province and corregimiento of Cuyo in the kingdom of Chile. It rises from a small lake to the e. of the mountain of the Pie de Palo, and running s, e. returns, forming a curve to the w. when it divides itself into several branches.
CONCEPCION, or Penco, a city of the kingdom of Chile, the capital of the province and corregimiento of its name, founded in 1550 by Pedro de Valdivia. Its situation is upon a barren and uneven territory, somewhat elevated, on the sea-shore, and on the side of a large, noble, and convenient bay. On the n. side it is crossed by a rivulet, and on the s. it is watered by the river Andalien, and lies not far from the Biobio. It is a small city, and its houses and buildings are poor and much reduced. It has, besides the cathedral church, convents of the religious orders of St. Francis, St. Domingo, La Merced, St. Augustin, an hospital of San Juan de Dios, and a college w hich belonged to the regulars of the company of the Jesuits, and which is the best building in it. Its climate is moderately warm, although in the winter the cold is great. It abouiids greatly in all kinds of grain, cattle, and delicious fruits, and these are cultivated in gardens which are found attached to almost every house. It lies open on all sides, being commanded by six eminences ; amongst the which the most prominent is that which is called Del Romitorio, and extends as far as the city. Its only defence is a battery on a level with the water, which defends the anchoring ground of the bay. The natives resemble the rest of tliis kingdom : they are strong, robust, valorous, and well made, most dexterous in the 3 s 2
purchase, obtained an act of incorporation, September 3, 1655 ; and this was the most distant settlement from the sea-shore of New England at that time. The settlers never liad any contest with the Indians ; and only three persons were ever killed by them within the limits of the town. In 1791, there were in this township 225 dwelling lionses, and 1590 inhabitants ; of the latter there were 80 persons upwards ot 70 years old. For 13 years previous to 1791, the average number of deaths was 17 ; one in four of whom were 70 years old and upwards. The public buildings are, a Congregational church, a spacious stone gaol, the best in New England, and a very handsome county court-house. The town is accommodated with three convenient bridges over the river ; one of which is 208 feet long, and 18 feet wide, supported by 12 piers, built after the manner of Charles river bridge. This town is famous in the history of the revolution, having been the seat of the provincial congress in 1774, and the spot where the first opposition was made to the British troops, on the memorable 19th of April 1775. The general court have frequently held their sessions here when contagious diseases have prevailed in the capital. Lat. 42° 20'
(Concord, a small river of Massachusetts, formed of two branches, which unite near the centre of the town of Concord, whence it takes its course in a n. e. and n. direction through Bedford and Billerica, and empties itself into Merrimack river at Tewksbury. Concord river is remarkable for the gentleness of its current, which is scarcely perceivable by the eye. At low water mark it is from 100 to 200 feet wide, and from three to 12 feet deep. During floods. Concord river is near a mile in breadth ; and when viewed from the town of Concord, makes a fine appearance.)
CONDACHE, a river of the province and government of Quixos in the kingdom of Quito. It runs n. e. and traversing the royal road which leads from Baza to Archidono, enters the river Coquindo on its s. side, in 37' lat.
Canada. It runs n. and enters the lake Ontario.
CONDE, another of the same name. Sec V E H D E .
CONDESUIOS DE Arequipa, a province and corregimiento of Peru : bounded n. by that of Parinocochas, e. by that of Chumbivilcas, s. e. by that of Canes and Canches, and s. by that of Collahuas. It is generally of a cold temperature, even in the less lofty parts of the cordillera ; of a rough and broken territory, and with very bad roads. Nevertheless, no inconsiderable proportion of wheat is grown in the low grounds, as likewise of maize, and other seeds and fruits, such as grapes, pears, peaches, apples, and some flowers. Upon tlie heights breed many vicunas, huanacos, and vizcachas, and in other parts is obtained cochineal, here called macno, and which is bartered by the Indians for baizes of the manufacture of the country, and for cacao. It has some gold mines which were worked in former times, and which, on account of the baseness of the metal, the depth of the mines, and hardness of the strata, have not produced so much as formerly they did, although they are not now without yielding some emolument : such are those of Airahua, Quiquimbo, Araure, and Aznacolea, which may produce a little more than the expences incurred in Avorkirig them. The gold of these mines is from 19 to 20 carats, and they produce from tliree to four ounces each cfljjow. They are Avorked by means of steel and powder, and the metals are ground in mills. The greater part of the natives of tliis province occupy themselves in carrying the productions of the valley of Mages, of the province of Carnana, such as Avines and brandies, to the other provinces of the sierra; also in the cultivation of seeds, and some in working the mines. It is watered by some small rivers or streams, which, incorporate themselves, and form t-wm large rivers. The capital is 3 T