(CHEGOMEGAN, a point of land about 60
miles in length, on the s. side of lake Superior.
About 100 miles w. of this cape, a considerable
river falls into the lake ; upon its banks abundance
of virgin copper is found.)
CHEGONOIS, a small river of the same pro-
vince and colony as the former. It runs s. w, and
enters the Basin des Mines.
CHEGUEHUE, a river of the province of
Sucumbios in the kingdom of Quito. It runs s. w.
and enters the Aguarico, in lat. 6' n.
CHEGUIQUILLA, a settlement of the pro-
vince and corregimiento of Coquimbo in the king-
dom of Chile ; situate to the s. of the town of
CHEJANI, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Carabaya in Peru ; annexed to
tlie curacy of Para.
CHEKOUTIMI, a settlement of Indians of
Canada, in the country of the nation of its name,
on the shore of the river Saguenay.
CHELEL, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Luya and Chillaos in Peru ; an-
nexed to the curacy of Cheto.
(CHELMSFORD, a township in Middlesex
county, Massachusetts ; situated on the s. side of
Merrimack river, 26 miles n. w. from Boston, and
contains 1144 inhabitants. There is an ingeniously
constructed bridge over the river at Pawtucket
falls, which connects this town with Dracut. The
route of the Middlesex canal, designed to connect
the waters of Merrimack with those of Boston
harbour, will be s. through the e. part of Chelms-
CHELQUE, a settlement of Indians of the
district of Guadalabquen in the kingdom of Chile;
situate on the shore of the river Valdivia.
(CHELSEA, called by the ancient natives Win-
nisimet, a town in Suffolk county, Massachusetts,
containing 472 inhabitants. Before its incorpora-
tion, in 1738, it was award of the town of Boston,
It is situated n. e. of the metropolis, and separated
from it by the ferry across the harbour, called
(Chelsea, a township in Orange county, Ver-
mont, having 239 inhabitants.)
(Chelsea, the name of a parish in the city of
Norwich, (Connecticut), called the Landing, situ-
ated at the head of the river Thames, 14 miles n.
of New London, on a point of land formed by
the junction ofShetucket and Norwich, or Little
rivers, w hose united waters constitute the Thames.
It is a busy, commercial, thriving, romantic, and
agreeable place, of about 150 houses, ascending
one above another in tiers, on artificial founda-
tions, on the 5. point of a high rocky hill,)
Chelsea, a settlement of the English in the
province and colony of Massachusetts, one of the
four of New England, on the shore of the port of
CHEMIN, Croix de la Molle De, a cross
in Canada, standing in the middle of the road near
the river W abache.
(CHEMUNG, The w. branch of Susquehannah
river is sometimes so called. See Tioga River.)
(CHEMUNG is a township in Tioga county,
New York. By the state census of 1796, 81 of
its inhabitants were electors. It has Newton w.
and Oswego e. about 160 miles n. w. fiom New
York city, measuring in a straight line. Between
this place and Newton, General Sullivan, in his vic-
torious expedition against the Indians in 1779, hada
desperate engagement with the Six Nations, whom
he defeated. The Indians werestrongly entrenched,
and it required the utmost exertions of the Ame-
rican army, with field pieces, to dislodge them ;
although the former, including 250 tories, amount-
ed only to 800 men, while the Americans were
5000 in number, ami well appointed in every re-
CHENE, a river of Canada, which runs n. w,
and enters the river St. Lawrence, opposite the
settlement of New Port.
(CHENENGO is a n. branch of Susquehan-
nah river. Many of the military townships are
watered by the n. w. branch of this river. The
towns of Fayette, Jerico, Greene, Clinton, and
Chenengo, in Tioga county, lie between this river
and the e. waters of Susquehannah.)
(Chenengo, a post town, and one of the chief
in Tioga county, New York. The settled part
of the town lies about 40 miles w. e. from Tioga
point, between Chenengo river and Susquehan-
nah ; has the town of Jerico on the n. By the
state census of 1796, 169 of its inhabitants are
electors. It was taken off from Montgomery
county, and in 1791 it had only 45 inhabitants.
It is 375 miles n. n. w. of Philadelphia.)
(CHENESSEE or GENESSEE River rises in Penn-
sylvania, near the spot, which is the highest ground
in that state, where the eastern most water of Allegha-
ny river, and Pine creek, a water of Susquehannah,
and Tioga river, rise. Fifty miles from its source
there are falls of 40 feet, and five from its mouth of 75
feet, and a little above that of 96 feet. These falls
furnish excellent mill-seats, which arc improved by
the inhabitants. After a course of about 100 miles,
mostly n, e. by n. it empties into lakeQntario, four
Notes and Questions
Nobody has written a note for this page yet
Please sign in to write a note for this page