Pages That Mention Pueblo de Indios
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
ABACU, a point of land on the S coast of the island of St. Domingo.
ABADES, a settlement of the province and government of Popayan, in the district and jurisdiction of San Juan de Pasto.
ABANCAY, a province and corregimiento of Peru, bounded on the E by the large city of Cuzco, (its jurisdiction beginning at the parish of Santa Ana of that city), and on the W by the province of Andahuailas; N by that of Calcaylares, forming, in this part, an extended chain of snowcovered mountains ; S by the provinces of Cotabamba and Aimaraez; S W by Chilques and Masques. It extends 26 leagues from E to W and is 14 broad. Its most considerable river is the Apurimac, which is separated from it at the N W and bends its course, united with other streams, towards the mountains of the Andes. This river is crossed by a wooden bridge of 80 yards long and 3 broad, which is in the high road from Lima to Cuzco, and other provinces of the sierra. The toll collected here is four rials of silver for every load of goods of the produce of the country, and twelve for those of the produce of Europe. The temperature of this province is mild, and for the most part salubrious, with the exception of a few vallies, where, on account of the excessive heat and humidity, tertian agues are not uncommon. It produces wheat, maize, and other grain in great abundance, and its breed of horned cattle is by no means inconsiderable; but its principal production is sugar, which they refine so well, that it may challenge the finest European sugars for whiteness : this is carried for sale to Cuzco and other provinces, and is held in great estimation. It also produces hemp, cloth manufactures of the country ; and in its territories mines of silver are not wanting, especially in the mountain which they call Jalcanta, although the natives avail themselves not of the advantages so liberally held out to them. Its jurisdiction comprehends 17 settlements. The repartimento, quota of tribute, amounted to 108,750 dollars, and it rendered yearly 870 for the alcabala. The following are the 17 settlements : The capital, Limatambo, Huanicapa, Mollepata, Curahuasi, Pantipata, Cachora, Pibil, Antilla, Chonta, Anta, Pocquiura, Ibin, Surite, Chachaypucquio, Huaracondo. Sumata,
Abancay, the capital of the above province, founded in a spacious valley, which gives it its title: it is also so called from a river, over which has been thrown one of the largest bridges in the kingdom, being the first that was built there, and looked upon as a monument of skill. In the above valley the jurisdiction of this province, and that of Andahuailas, becomes divided. It is also memorable for the victories gained in its vicinity by the king's troops against Gonzalo Pizarro, in the years 1542 and 1548. It has a convent of the religious order of St. Dominic ; this order being the first of those which established themselves in Peru. 20 leagues distant from the city of Cuzco. Lat. 13° 31' 30" S Long. 72° 26' W.7
Abancay, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Cuenca, in the kingdom of Quito, situate on the shore of the river Paute.
ABANES, a barbarous nation of Indians, of the Nuevo Reyno de Granada, in the plains of San Juan, to the N of the Orinoco. They inhabit the woods on the shores of this river, as well as other small woods ; and are bounded, E by the Salivas, and W by the Caberres and Andaquies. They are docile, of good dispositions, and are easily converted to the Catholic faith.
ABANGOUI, a large settlement of the province and government of Paraguay. It is composed of Indians of the Guarani nation, and situate on the shore of the river Taquani. It was discovered by Alvar Nuñez Cabezade Vaca, in 1541.
ABARANQUEN, a small river of the province and government of Guayana, or Nueva Andalusia. It rises in the country of the Quiriquipas Indians, runs from S to N and enters the Aruy.
ABARY, a small river of Guayana, between the Berbice and the Demerary. See Mahaica.
ABBEVILLE County, in Ninetysix district, S. Carolina, bounded on the N E by the Saluda, and on the SW by the Savannah, is 35 miles in length and 21 in breadth ; contains 9197 inhabitants, including 1665 slaves.
ABBOTS, a small river of N. Carolina, which runs S W and enters the Pedi, at a little distance from the source of this river, in the territory of the Granville limits.
ABECOCHI, a settlement of Indians of S. Carolina, situate on the shore of the river Cousa. The English have a settlement here, with a fort for its defence.
ABEICAS, a nation of Indians of New France, bounded on the N by the Alibamis, and E by the Cheraquis. They live at a distance from the large rivers, and the only produce of their territory is some canes, which are not thicker than a finger, but of so hard a texture, that, when split, they cut exactly like a knife. These Indians speak the Tchicachan language, and with the other nations are in alliance against the Iroquees.
C H O C H O
constitution left the lower people little more freedom than they would have possessed under the government of the Aztec kings.]
The capital is the city of the same name, founded as far back as the time ofthegentilism of the Mexican empire, when this nation was at enmity with that of Chichimeca ; it was then one of the most populous cities, and contained 30,000 inhabitants and 300 temples, and served as a barrier to Moctezuma, in the attack against the republic of Tlaxclala ; the latter place never having been subjected to the Mexican yoke. This was the city which of all others most thwarted the designs of Hernan Cortes, but the inhabitants were discovered in the conspiracy they had laid against him, when they pretended to receive him with open arrhs and a peaceable and friendly disposition, and were made by him to suffer severely for their hypocrisy ; after which he and his whole army escaped uninjured. This city has many monuments denoting its antiquity ; and although in ancient times idolatry was here carried to its highest pitch, yet the light of the gospel has spread widely around its enlivening rays. It is of a mild and healthy temperature, rather inclined to cold than heat, being situate on a level, fertile, and beautiful plain. It has a good convent of the order of St. Francis, which is also a house of studies. Its inhabitants are composed of 50 families of Spaniards, 458 of Mustees, Mulattoes and Negroes, and 606 of Indians. On a lofty spot which lies close to the entrance, on the c. side of the city, is a handsome chapel, in which is venerated the image of the blessed virgin, which also bears the dedicatory title of Los Rentedios. It is a little more than 20 leagues to the e. of Mexico, and four from Tlaxclala. Long. 98° 14'. Lat. 19° 4'. [Its population is at present estimated at about 16,000 souls.]
CHONE, a settlement which in former times was considerable, but now much impoverished, in the ancient province of Cara, which is at present united to that of Esmeraldas. It lies upon the shore of the river Chones to the n. and is of an hot and moist climate, in lat. 33° s.
CHONES, a large river of the province of Cara in the kingdom of Quito. It runs to the w. and collects the waters of the Sanchez and theTossagua on the n. and on the s. those of the Camaron and the Platanal. At its entrance on the n. stood the city of Cara, of which the vestiges still remain. Where it runs into the sea it forms the bay of Cara, between the s. point of Bellaca and the n. point of laca. Its mouth is nearly two miles and an half wide.
CHONGO, San Miguel de, a settlement of the alcaldíta mayor of Huamelula. It is of a very cold temperature, from its being situate in the vicinity of the sierra Nevada (or Snowy) of the Chontales, which lies on the n. side of it. Its inhabitants amount to 24 families of Indians, who trade in cochineal, seeds, and fruits, of which the country, being naturally luxuriant, produces great quantities. It is watered by rivers which pass at a little distance, and is annexed to the curacy of Tepaltepec of the jurisdiction and alcaldia mayor of Nexapa, from whence it lies 20 leagues. It is-, on account of this great distance, combined with the badness of the roads, that the natives so seldom can avail themselves of any instruction in the holy faith ; dying, as they often do, without the administration of the sacraments. Indeed, there is only one day in the year, which is the 29th of September, and on which the Indians celebrate the festival of their titular saint Michael, when they are visited by their curate, who then hears their confessions and says mass. At this time this settlement has somewhat the appearance of a Catholic people ; but being all the rest of the year left to themselves, it is not to be wondered that many relapse into their pristine state of gentilisra and idolatry. Three leagues w. of its capital.
CHONGON, a settlement of Indians of the province and government of Guayaquil in the kingdom of Quito; situate near a small torrent, renowned for the stones which it washes down, of a certain crystallized matter, which being polished, resemble brilliants, and are used as buttons, rings, and other trinkets.
CHONGOS, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Xauxa in Peru.
CHONTA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Abancay in Peru.
Other, another settlement in the province and corregimiento of Guamalies of the same kingdom, famous for its mine of quicksilver.
CHONTAI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Huarochiri in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Chorrillo.
CHONTALES, a district of the corregimiento or alcaldia mayor of Matagulpa, in the kingdom of Guatemala and province of Nicaragua. It is but small, and its natives have this name from the Spaniards, who would by it express their natural uncouthness and stupidity.
CHOPADA, a settlement of the Portuguese, in the kingdom of Brazil and country of the Guayazas Indians ; situate on the bank and at the source of the river Tocantines.
CHOPARE, a river of the province and government of Moxos in the kingdom of Quito. It flows
C H R
C H R
CHOTE, a settlement of Indians of N. Carolina ; situate on the shore of the river Tennessee.
CHOTECHEL, a settlement of Indians of the kingdom of Chile ; situate in the interior of it, and on the shore of the river ComoLeuvre.
CHOUEE, Montañas de, mountains in the province and colony of N. Carolina, which follow the course of the river Tennessee,
CHOUMANS, a settlement or village of the province and colony of Louisiana ; situate on the bank, and at the source of the river Maligna or Sabloniere.
CHOUSSIPI, a small river of the country of Labrador. It runs s. w. and enters that of St. Lawrence.
CHOWAN, a district and jurisdiction of the province and colony of Virginia, between that of Pequima and the river Pansemond. The principal settlement bears the same name.
[Chowan County, in Edenton district, N. Carolina, on the n. side of Albemarle sound. It contains 5011 inhabitants, of whom 2588 are slaves. Chief town, Edenton.]
[Chowan River, in N. Carolina, falls into the n. w. corner of Albemarle sound. It is three miles wide at the mouth, but narrows fast as you ascend it. It is formed, five miles from the Virginia line, by the confluence of Meherrin, Nottaway, and Black rivers, which all rise in Virginia.]
CHOXLLA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Cicasica in Peru, annexed to the curacy of Yanacache.
[CHRIST CnuacH, a parish in Charleston district, S. Carolina, containing 2954 inhabitants, of whom 566 are whites, 2377 slaves.]
[CHRISTENOES, a wandering nation of N. America, who do not cultivate, nor claim any particular tract of country. They are well disposed towards the whites, and treat their traders Avith respect. The country in which these Indians rove is generally open plains, but in some parts, particularly about the head of the Assinniboin river, it is marshy and tolerably Avell furnished with timber, as are also the Fort Dauphin mountains, to which they sometimes resort. From the quantity of beaver in their country, they ought to furnish mofe of that article than they do at present. They are not esteemed good beaver-hunters. They might probably be induced to visit an establishment on the Missouri, at the Yellow Stone river. Their number has been reduced by the small-pox since they Avere first known to the Canadians.]
[CHRISTIANA, a post-town in Newcastle county, Delaware, is situated on a navigable creek of its name, 12 miles from Elkton, nine s. w. of Wilmington, and 37 s. w. of Philadelphia. The town, consisting of about 50 houses, and a Presbyterian church, stands on a declivity which commands a pleasant prospect of the country towards the Delaware. It carries on a brisk trade with Philadelphia in flour. It is the greatest carrying place between the navigable Avaters of the Delaware and Chesapeak, which are 13 miles asunder at this place. It was built by the Swedes in 1640, and thus called after their queen.]
[Christiana Creek, on which the above town is situated, falls into Delaware river from the w. a little below Wilmington. It is proposed to cut a canal of about nine miles in length, in a s. to. direction from this creek, at the toAvn of Christiana (six miles w. s. w. of Newcastle) to Elk river in Maryland, about a mile below Elkton. See Delaware and Wilmington.]
[Christiana, St. one of the Marquesa isles, called by the natives Waitahu, lies under the same parallel with St. Pedro, three or four leagues more to the w. Resolution bay, near the middle of the w. side of the island, is in lat. 9° 58' s. long. 139'^ 840' w. from Greenwich ; and the w. end of Dominica 15 71. Captain f^ook gave this bay the name of his ship. It Avas called Port Madre de Dios by the Spaniards. This island produces cotton of a superior kind. A specimen of it is deposited in the museum of the Massachusetts Historical Society.]
CHRISTIANO, San, a settlement of the province and captainship of Serigipé in Brazil ; situate on the coast, and at the mouth of the river Cirii.
[CHRISTIANSBURG, the chief town of Montgomery county, Virginia. It contains A’ery few houses ; has a court-house and goal, situated near a branch of Little river, a water of the Kanhaway. Lat. 37° 5' ».]
[CHRISTIANSTED, the principal town in the island of Santa Cruz, situated on the n. side of the island, on a fine harbour. It is the residence of the Danish governor, and is defended by a stone fortress.]
[CHRISTMAS Island, in the Pacific ocean, lies entirely solitary, nearly equally distant from the Sandwich islands on the n. and the Marquesas on the s. It Avas so named by Captain Cook, on account of his first landing there, on Christmas day. Not a drop of fresh Avater was found by digging. A ship touching at this desolate isle must expect nothing but turtle, fish, and a few birds. It is about 15 or 20 leagues in circumference, and bounded by a reef of coral rocks, on the xc. side of
C L E
C L I
kingdom of Chile. It rises from one of the lakes of Avendafio, runs w. and then turning s. enters the river Laxa. On its shore the Spaniards have a fort, called Yumbel, or Don Carlos de Austria, to restrain the Araucanos Indians.
Same name, another river in the province and corregimiento of Maule of the same kingdom. It runs w. and enters the Maule.
Same name, another river of the province and government of Mariquita in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada. It rises in the valley of Corpus Christi, and running through it, enters the great river Magdalena.
Same name, another, a small river of the province and government of Paraguay. It runs w. and enters the Mbotetei.
Same name, another small river of the kingdom of Brazil, which also runs w. and enters the Preto or Palma, opposite the Benito.
Same name, another (river) of the same kingdom of Brazil, distinct from the former. It rises in the country of the Araes Indians, runs n. n. e. and enters the Parcuipasa, to the w. of the toM'n Boa.
Same name, a port of the coast of the South sea, in the province and government of Choco in the kingdom of Tierra Firme. It lies between the port Quemado and the bay of San Francisco Solano.
CLAUCAC, a settlement of the head settlement of Xonacatepec, and alcaldia mayor of Cuernavaca, in Nueva Espana.
CLAUDIO, San, a small island of the North sea, near the e. coast of Nova Scotia in N. America, in the strait which this coast forms with the island of San Juan.
[CLAVERACK, a post-town in Columbia county. New York, pleasantly situated on a large plain, about two miles and a half e. of Hudson city, near a creek of its own name. It contains about 60 houses, a Dutch church, a court-house, and a goal. The township, by the census of 1791, contained 3262 inhabitants, including 340 slaves. By the state census of 1796 tkere appears to be 412 electors. It is 231 miles from Philadelphia. 1
CLAYCAYAC, a head settlement of the alcaldia mayor of Zultepec in Nueva Espana ; annexed to the curacy of Teraascaltepec. It contains 84 families of Indians, and is four leagues s. of its capital.
CLEAUER, a settlement of the island of Barbadoes, in the district of the parish of San Juan.
CLERC, Ensenada de, a bay of the n. coast and w. head of the island of St. Domingo, in the French possessions, between the bay of Los Cairaitos and the Agujero or Trou of Jeremias.
[CLERK’S Isles lie s, w. from, and at the entrance of Behring’s straits, which separate Asia from America. They rather belong to Asia, being very near, and s. s. w. from the head-land which lies between the straits and the gulf of Anadir in Asia. They have their name in honour of that able navigator, Captain Clerk, the companion of Captain Cook. In other maps they are called St. Andrea isles.]
[CLERMONT, a post-town in Columbia county, New York, six miles from Red hook, 15 from Hudson, 117 miles n. of New York, and 212 from Philadelphia. The township contains 867 inhabitants, inclusive of 113 slaves.]
[Clermont, a village 13 miles from Camden, S. Carolina. In the late war, here was a block-house encompassed by an abbatis; it was taken from Colonel Rugely of the British militia, in December 1781, by an ingenious stratagem of Lieutenant-colonel W ashington.]
CLEYALI, a settlement of Indians of South Carolina ; situate on the shore of the river Alabama.
[CLIE, Lake Le, in Upper Canada, about 38 miles long and 30 broad; its waters communicate with those of lake Huron,]
[CLINCH Mountain divides the waters of Holston and Clinch rivers, in the state of Tennessee. In this mountain Burk’s Garden and Morrises Nob might be described as curiosities.]
[Clinch, or Peleson, a navigable branch of Tennessee river, which is equal in length to Holston river, its chief branch, but less in width. It rises in Virginia, and after it enters into the state of Tennessee, it receives Powel’s and Poplar’s creek, and Emery’s river, besides other streams. The course of the Clinch is s. w. and s. w. by w . ; its mouth, 150 yards wide, lies 35 miles below Knoxville, and 60 above the mouth of the Hiwasse. It is beatable for upwards of 200 miles, and Powel’s river, nearly as large as the main river, is navigable for boats 100 miles.]
[CLINTON, the most n. county of the state of New York, is bounded n. by Canada, e. by the deepest waters of lake Champlain, which line separates it from Vermont, and s. by the county of Washington. By the census of 1791, it contained 16 14 inhabitants, including 17 slaves. It is divided into five townships, viz. Plattsburgh, the capital. Crown Point, Willsborough, Champlain, and Peru. The length from n. to s. is about 96 miles, and the breadth from e. to w. including the line upon the lake, is 36 miles. The number of souls was, in 1796, estimated to be 6000. By the state census, in Jan. 1796, there were 624 persons entitled to be electors. A great proportion of the lands are of an excellent quality, and produce