Pages That Mention Río
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
C O A
it has a large proportion of families of Spaniards, Mustees^ and Mulalloes ; besides which, it contains 387 of Indians, and a convent of monks of St. Francis. Seven leagues to the n. n. w. of Mexico, although the distance is commonly counted at only six. Long. 274° 12'. Lat. 19° 50'.
COAUTLA, a province and alcaldia mayor oi Nueva España ; bounded s. by the corregimiento of Mexico. It is also called. Of Amilpas. Its jurisdiction extends 25 leagues ; it is of a warm and moist temperature, but is fertile, and abounds in wheat, maize, French beans, lentils, barley, and tares, as also in other productions, which serve as a commerce to its natives. Great quantities of sugar are also manufactured in various mills and machines for the purpose. This province is watered by two rivers, the one very large, called the Amazinaquc, which runs e. and the other, somewhat less, to the e . ; in both of them are caught many bagres and trout, which, being much esteemed in the neighbouring provinces, afford also another considerable branch of commerce. It has silver mines which produce tolerably well, and from one, which is vulgarly called La Peregrina, much riches were formerly extracted. The jurisdiction consists of the following settlements ;
The capital of the sarne Xamiltepec,
The capital forms three streets, of regular proportion and symmetry in the buildings, with two elegant edifices, one of the monks of St. Domingo,' and the other of the barefooted monks, or Descalzos, of St. Francis. It contains 36 families of Spaniards, 70 of 40 of Mulattoes, and 200
of Indians ; the part of the city inhabited by the latter is never visited by the Spaniards but as a walk, or place of recreation, and the Indians never attempt to encroach upon the part not appropriated to them. Twenty-five leagues 5. of Mexico. Long. 274° 10'. Lat. 19° 5'.
Same name, another settlement and real of the silver mines of this province, in which are two sugar mills, and some engines for grinding metal. It contains 56 families of Spaniards, Mustees, and Mulattoes, and lies 12 leagues to the s. w. of its capital.
[COBBESECONTE, or Copsecook, which in the Indian language signifies the land where sturgeons are taken, is a small river which rises from ponds in the town of Winthorp, in the district of Maine, and falls into the Kennebeck within three miles of Nahunkeag island, and 15 from Moose island.]
[Cobequit or Colchester River, in Nova Scotia, rises within 20 miles of Tatamogouche, on the n. e. coast of Nova Scotia ; from thence it runs s. ; then s. w. and w. info the e. end of the basin of Minas. At its mouth there is a short bank, but there is a good channel on each side, which vessels of 60 tons burden may pass, and go 40 miles .up the river. There are some scattered settlements on its banks.]
[COBESEY, in the district of Maine. See
[COBHAM, a small town in Virginia, on the s. bank of James river, opposite James town ; 20 miles n. w. of Suffolk, and eight or nine 5. w. of Williamsburg.]
[Cobh AM Isle, mentioned by Captain Middleton, in the journal of his voyage for finding a 71, e. passage. Its two extremities bear n. by e. and e. by n. in lat. 63° «. long. 3° 50' from Churchill, which he takes to be the Brook Cobham of Fox.]
COBIJA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Atacama in Peru, and archbishopric of Charcas; annexed to the curacy of Chinchin. It is founded on the sea-shore, has a good port, where the inhabitants are busied in the fishing for congers ; and these being called charqnecillos, or salted, are carried in abundance for sale to the neighbouring provinces, to the sierra, and other parts. In lat. 23° 20' s. according to Don Cosme Bueno ; and according to the ex-jesuit Coleti, in lat. 22° 25' s.
[COBEZA. See Cobija. This obscure port and village is inhabited by about 50 Indian families, and is the most barren spot on the coast. This is, however, the nearest port to Lipei^ where there are silver mines, and also to Potosi, 2
c o c
c o c
which is above 100 leagues distant, and that through a desert country.]
COBITU, a river of the province and missions of the Gran Paititi. It rises in the mountains of the infidel Indians, which serve as a boundary to the province of Larecaja ; runs nearly due n. collecting the waters of many others, and enters theMarmore w ith the name of Mato.
[COBLESKILL, a new town in the county of Schoharie, New York, incorporated March 1797.]
COBOS, a fortress of the province and government of Tucuman in Peru ; of the district and jurisdiction of the city of Salta, from whence it is nine leagues distant ; having been founded in 1693 at the foot of a declivity, to serve as an outwork or defence against the Indians of Chaco, it is at present destroyed and abandoned, and serves as a country-house on the estate of an individual.
COBRE, Santa Clara de, a settlement of the alcald'ia mayor of Valladolid, in the province nnd bishopric of Mechoacan. It contains 100 families of Spaniards, bO oi Mustees, 38 of Mulattoes, and 135 of Indians ; some of whom speculate in working the mines of copper which are close by, others in the cultivation of maize, and others gain their livelihood as muleteers. Three leagues s. of the city of Pasquaro.
Same name, a mountain on the coast of the province and corregimiento of Coquimbo in the kingdom of Chile. It derives its name from some very abundant copper mines. Great quantities of this metal are carried from hence to Spain for founding artillery, and for different purposes.
of the large river Napo, and at last becomes incorporated with the same.
[COCALICO, a township in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania.]
COCAMA, a great lake in the midst of the thick woods which lie in the country of Las Amazonas, to the s. and w. of tlie river Ucayale. It is 10 leagues long from n. to s. and six wide from e. to w. On the e. it flows out, through a little canal, into the river Ucayale, and on the w. it forms the river Cassavatay, which running n. and then e. enters also the Ucayale. Its shores are constantly covered with alligators and tortoises.
COCAMAS, a barbarous nation of Indians of the country of Las Amazonas, who inhabit the w'oods to the s. of the river Maraiion, and in the vicinities of Ucayale. It takes its name from the former lake, called La Gran Cocama. They are a barbarous and cruel race, wandering over the forests in quest of birds and wild beasts for mere sustenance. Their arms are the macana, and the Indian cimeter, or club of chonia, a very strong ebony.
COCATLAN, San Luis de, a settlement of the head settlement of Coatlan, and alcadia mayor of Nexapa, in Nueva Espana. It contains 160 families of Indians, employed in the trade in cochineal and cotton stuffs. It is four leagues to the n. of its head settlement.
3 Q 2
c o c
c o c
COCHABAMBA, a province and corregU miento of Peru ; bounded n. by the cordillera of the Andes, e. by the heiglits of Intimuyo, e. by the province of Misque, s. by that of Chayanta or Charcas, s. w. by the corregimiento of Oruro, w. and n. w. by that of Cicasica. It is 40 leagues in length from n. to s. and 32 in width. This province may with justice -be called the granary of Peru, since it produces an abundance of every kind of seed, through the mildness of its climate. In the higher parts are bred a tolerable quantity of large and small kinds of cattle. It is watered by several small rivers of sweet water, which fertilize the valleys ; and in these are some magnificent estates. Almost all these small rivers become united in the curacy of Capinota ; and their waters, passing through the provinces of Misque and Charcas, become incorporated in the large river which passes on the e. side of Santa Cruz de la Sierra. In former times some mines were worked here, and from 1747, forward, great quantities of gold have been extracted from the lavaderos, or washing-places, upon the heights of Choquecamata, although this metal is not now found there in the same abundance. Some veins of it are, however, to be seen in the cordillera, although these render but little emolument. The greatest commerce carried on in this province depends upon its own productions ; and the market-place of the valley of Arque is so stocked with articles as to have the appearance of a continual fair. It has also some glass kilns, as it abounds greatly in glasswort ; likewise many sugar estates, and streams of hot waters. Its repartirniento used to amount to 186,675 dollars, and its alcavala to 1493 dollars per annum. Its inhabitants may amount to 70,000; and these are divided into 17 curacies, two others being annexed. The capital is the town of Oropcsa, and the rest are,
I Inhabited by a hardy, sober, and active race, Cochabamba (as Azara observes) has risen of late
years to a considerable state of prosperity in the manufactory of glass, cotton, &c. with which, during the late war, it has supplied the whole interior. Blessed with fertility and a moderate climate, it bids fair to be the Manchester of Peru, for 1,000,000 pounds of cotton are already annually consumed in its manufactures. Its surface abounds in a variety of salts and mineral productions, and its forests teem with woods and roots for dyeing. To these Haenke has particularly turned his attention, and has pointed out, besides several new materials for manufacture, other processes for dyeing, worthy of our adoption in Europe. This province joined the new government of Buenos Ayres in September 1810. See La Pcata.]
Same name, an extensive valley, watered by the pleasant streams of the river Condorillo, of the province of this name (Condorillo) ; in which was founded the principal settlement of the Indians, now called Oropesa.
COCHACASA, an ancient settlement of Indians, in the province of Chinchasuyu in Peru. It was one of the celebrated conquests of the hereditary prince of the Incas, Yahuar Huacae, son of the Emperor Inca Roca, sixth in the series of these inonarcbs.
c o c
c o c
venerated an image of Oar L idy, the most celebrated for miracles of any in the whole kingdom. The wonderful things, indeed, that have been wrought here, have caused it to be the object of great devotion ; accordingly an handsome temple has been erected, and the riches and ornaments which adorn the same are exceedingly valuable. People conse here from all the distant provinces to offer up their prayers, to implore the protection of the Holy Virgin, and to thank her for benefits received. The festival here celebrated is on the 8th of September, when the quantity of people assembled is so large as to give the place, for the space of 12 days, t!ie‘ appearance of a fair.
COCHE, an island of the North sea, near the coast of Nueva Andalucia, and belonging to the island of Margarita. It is nine miles in circumference, and its territory is low and barren. It was celebrated for the pearl-fishery formerly carried on here. It is four leagues to the e. of Cubagiia.
[COCHECHO, a n.w. branch of Piscataqua river in New Hampshire. It rises in the Blue hills in Strafford county, and its mouth is five miles above Hilton’s point. See Piscat.xqua.J
COCHEIRA, Cumplida, a river of the country of Brazil. It rises to the n. of the gold mines of La Navidad, runs w. and enters the Tocantines on the e. side, between the Salto de Ties Leguas and the settlement of the Portal de San Luis.
COCHIMATLAN, a settlement of the head settlement of Almololoyan, and alcald'ia mayor of Colima, in Nueva Espana. It contains 100 families of Indians, whose trade consists in the manufacturing of salt, and the cultivation of their gardens, which produce various kinds of fruits. Two leagues to the w. of its head settlement.
COCHINOCA, a settlement of the province and governmeist of Tucuman, in the jurisdiction of the city of Xnjui. It has an hermitage, with the dedicatory title of Santa Barbara, which is a chapel of ease, and three other chapels in the settlement of Casivindo. The Indians of this place manufacture gunpowder equal to that of Europe, and in its district are some gold mines.
COCHOAPA, a settlement of the alcaldia mayor of Tlapa in Nueva Espana; situate upon a dry and barren plain. It contains 150 families of Indians, who are busied in the cultivation of cotton, the only production of the place.
COCHUY, a province of the Nuevo Reyno de Granada, to the n. e. ; bounded by the province of Chita. It has now the name of Laches, from having been inhabited by this nation of Indians. It is very thinly peopled, of a hot climate, and abounding in Avoods.
[COCKBCRNE, a township in the n. part of New Hampshire, Grafton county, on the e. bank of Connecticut river, s, of Colebrooke.]
[COCKERMOUTH, a town in Grafton county, New Hampshire, about 15 miles n. e. of Dartmouth college. It was incorporated in 1766, and in 1775 contained 118 inhabitants ; and in 1790, 373.]
[COCKSAKIE. See Coxakie.]
COCLE, a large river of the province and government of Panama in the kingdom of Tierra Firmc. It is formed by the union of the Penome and the Nata, which run to the right and left of the mountain of Toabre, becoming navigable from that part to their entrance into the sea. A contraband trade was in former times constantly carried on through this river into the S. sea ; for which reason Don Dionisio de Alcedo (the father of the author of this Dictionary) built a fort which defended its entrance, as likewise a rvatch-tower or signal-house, to give notice of any strange vessels which might enter the river for the above purposes. The English took this tower, and built another fort by it in 1746, having been assisted by a company of at least 200 smugglers. These w ere dislodged in their turn by the aforesaid president, who inflicted condign punishment upon the heads of all the offenders.
c o c
COCO, a river of the province and government of Darien in the kingdom of Tierra Firme. It rises in the mountains of the n. and enters the sea opposite the island of Las Palmas, and gives its name to the territory of a Cacique, thus called.
COCOMERACHI, a settlement of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits, in the province of Taraumara, and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya. It is 40 leagues to the w. s.zo. of the town 'And real of the mines of Chiguaga.
COCONUCO, See Cucunuco.
COCOS, some small islands of the Pacific or S. sea, lying close together, and divided by some narrow channels. They abound in cocoa-trees, and from thence take their name. They are also called Santa Cruz, from having been discovered on the day of the invention of the cross. The climate here is pleasant, but the isles are uncultivated and desert. Lat. 5° n.
COCUI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Tunja in the NueVo Reyno de Granada ; situate at the foot of the sierra Nevada. It is of a cold temperature, but abounds in all kinds of productions, and particularly in wheat, maize, barley, &c. It contains 700 white inhabitants, and 150 Indians. Thirty-two leagues from Tunja, and eight from the settlement of Chita.
COCUPAC, a city and head settlement of the district of the alcaldia mayor of Valladolid in Nueva Espana, and of the bishopric of Mechoaean. Its situation is in a nook to the n. of the great lake. On the e. and ze. are two lofty mountains, which form so many other entrances, the one to the 5. and the other to the n. Its temperature is rather cold than w'arm ; and although it does not want for fruits, it is but ill supplied with water, the only stream it has not running more than the distance of a stone’s throw before it enters a lake. The inhabitants are thus under the necessity of supplying themselves by wells. The population of this city consists in 45 families of Spaniards, 52 of Mustees and Mulattoes, and 150 of Indians. They occupy themselves in the making of tiles or flags ; and the inferior order are muleteers. It has a convent of the religious order of St. Francis.
COD, a cape of the coast of New England and province of Massachusetts. It runs for many leagues towards the sea, forming a large semicircle, and afterwards returning, forms the bay of Barnstable. [See Cape Cod, Barnstable, &c.]