c o c
c o c
venerated an image of Oar L idy, the most cele-
brated for miracles of any in the whole kingdom.
The wonderful things, indeed, that have been
wrought here, have caused it to be the object of
great devotion ; accordingly an handsome temple
has been erected, and the riches and ornaments
which adorn the same are exceedingly valuable.
People conse here from all the distant provinces to
offer up their prayers, to implore the protection of
the Holy Virgin, and to thank her for benefits re-
ceived. The festival here celebrated is on the 8th
of September, when the quantity of people as-
sembled is so large as to give the place, for the
space of 12 days, t!ie‘ appearance of a fair.
COCHE, an island of the North sea, near the coast
of Nueva Andalucia, and belonging to the island
of Margarita. It is nine miles in circumference,
and its territory is low and barren. It was cele-
brated for the pearl-fishery formerly carried on
here. It is four leagues to the e. of Cubagiia.
[COCHECHO, a n.w. branch of Piscataqua
river in New Hampshire. It rises in the Blue
hills in Strafford county, and its mouth is five
miles above Hilton’s point. See Piscat.xqua.J
COCHEIRA, Cumplida, a river of the coun-
try of Brazil. It rises to the n. of the gold mines
of La Navidad, runs w. and enters the Tocantines
on the e. side, between the Salto de Ties Leguas
and the settlement of the Portal de San Luis.
COCHIMATLAN, a settlement of the head
settlement of Almololoyan, and alcald'ia mayor of
Colima, in Nueva Espana. It contains 100 fami-
lies of Indians, whose trade consists in the manu-
facturing of salt, and the cultivation of their gar-
dens, which produce various kinds of fruits. Two
leagues to the w. of its head settlement.
COCHINOCA, a settlement of the province
and governmeist of Tucuman, in the jurisdiction
of the city of Xnjui. It has an hermitage, with
the dedicatory title of Santa Barbara, which is a
chapel of ease, and three other chapels in the set-
tlement of Casivindo. The Indians of this place
manufacture gunpowder equal to that of Europe,
and in its district are some gold mines.
COCHOAPA, a settlement of the alcaldia mayor
of Tlapa in Nueva Espana; situate upon a dry
and barren plain. It contains 150 families of In-
dians, who are busied in the cultivation of cotton,
the only production of the place.
COCHUY, a province of the Nuevo Reyno de
Granada, to the n. e. ; bounded by the province
of Chita. It has now the name of Laches, from
having been inhabited by this nation of Indians.
It is very thinly peopled, of a hot climate, and
abounding in Avoods.
[COCKBCRNE, a township in the n. part of
New Hampshire, Grafton county, on the e. bank
of Connecticut river, s, of Colebrooke.]
[COCKERMOUTH, a town in Grafton county,
New Hampshire, about 15 miles n. e. of Dart-
mouth college. It was incorporated in 1766, and
in 1775 contained 118 inhabitants ; and in 1790,
[COCKSAKIE. See Coxakie.]
COCLE, a large river of the province and go-
vernment of Panama in the kingdom of Tierra
Firmc. It is formed by the union of the Penome
and the Nata, which run to the right and left of
the mountain of Toabre, becoming navigable from
that part to their entrance into the sea. A contra-
band trade was in former times constantly carried
on through this river into the S. sea ; for which
reason Don Dionisio de Alcedo (the father of the
author of this Dictionary) built a fort which de-
fended its entrance, as likewise a rvatch-tower or
signal-house, to give notice of any strange vessels
which might enter the river for the above pur-
poses. The English took this tower, and built an-
other fort by it in 1746, having been assisted by a
company of at least 200 smugglers. These w ere
dislodged in their turn by the aforesaid president,
who inflicted condign punishment upon the heads
of all the offenders.
Notes and Questions
Nobody has written a note for this page yet
Please sign in to write a note for this page