Pages That Need Review
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
c o c
c o c
venerated an image of Oar L idy, the most celebrated for miracles of any in the whole kingdom. The wonderful things, indeed, that have been wrought here, have caused it to be the object of great devotion ; accordingly an handsome temple has been erected, and the riches and ornaments which adorn the same are exceedingly valuable. People conse here from all the distant provinces to offer up their prayers, to implore the protection of the Holy Virgin, and to thank her for benefits received. The festival here celebrated is on the 8th of September, when the quantity of people assembled is so large as to give the place, for the space of 12 days, t!ie‘ appearance of a fair.
COCHE, an island of the North sea, near the coast of Nueva Andalucia, and belonging to the island of Margarita. It is nine miles in circumference, and its territory is low and barren. It was celebrated for the pearl-fishery formerly carried on here. It is four leagues to the e. of Cubagiia.
[COCHECHO, a n.w. branch of Piscataqua river in New Hampshire. It rises in the Blue hills in Strafford county, and its mouth is five miles above Hilton’s point. See Piscat.xqua.J
COCHEIRA, Cumplida, a river of the country of Brazil. It rises to the n. of the gold mines of La Navidad, runs w. and enters the Tocantines on the e. side, between the Salto de Ties Leguas and the settlement of the Portal de San Luis.
COCHIMATLAN, a settlement of the head settlement of Almololoyan, and alcald'ia mayor of Colima, in Nueva Espana. It contains 100 families of Indians, whose trade consists in the manufacturing of salt, and the cultivation of their gardens, which produce various kinds of fruits. Two leagues to the w. of its head settlement.
COCHINOCA, a settlement of the province and governmeist of Tucuman, in the jurisdiction of the city of Xnjui. It has an hermitage, with the dedicatory title of Santa Barbara, which is a chapel of ease, and three other chapels in the settlement of Casivindo. The Indians of this place manufacture gunpowder equal to that of Europe, and in its district are some gold mines.
COCHOAPA, a settlement of the alcaldia mayor of Tlapa in Nueva Espana; situate upon a dry and barren plain. It contains 150 families of Indians, who are busied in the cultivation of cotton, the only production of the place.
COCHUY, a province of the Nuevo Reyno de Granada, to the n. e. ; bounded by the province of Chita. It has now the name of Laches, from having been inhabited by this nation of Indians. It is very thinly peopled, of a hot climate, and abounding in Avoods.
[COCKBCRNE, a township in the n. part of New Hampshire, Grafton county, on the e. bank of Connecticut river, s, of Colebrooke.]
[COCKERMOUTH, a town in Grafton county, New Hampshire, about 15 miles n. e. of Dartmouth college. It was incorporated in 1766, and in 1775 contained 118 inhabitants ; and in 1790, 373.]
[COCKSAKIE. See Coxakie.]
COCLE, a large river of the province and government of Panama in the kingdom of Tierra Firmc. It is formed by the union of the Penome and the Nata, which run to the right and left of the mountain of Toabre, becoming navigable from that part to their entrance into the sea. A contraband trade was in former times constantly carried on through this river into the S. sea ; for which reason Don Dionisio de Alcedo (the father of the author of this Dictionary) built a fort which defended its entrance, as likewise a rvatch-tower or signal-house, to give notice of any strange vessels which might enter the river for the above purposes. The English took this tower, and built another fort by it in 1746, having been assisted by a company of at least 200 smugglers. These w ere dislodged in their turn by the aforesaid president, who inflicted condign punishment upon the heads of all the offenders.
c o c
COCO, a river of the province and government of Darien in the kingdom of Tierra Firme. It rises in the mountains of the n. and enters the sea opposite the island of Las Palmas, and gives its name to the territory of a Cacique, thus called.
COCOMERACHI, a settlement of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits, in the province of Taraumara, and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya. It is 40 leagues to the w. s.zo. of the town 'And real of the mines of Chiguaga.
COCONUCO, See Cucunuco.
COCOS, some small islands of the Pacific or S. sea, lying close together, and divided by some narrow channels. They abound in cocoa-trees, and from thence take their name. They are also called Santa Cruz, from having been discovered on the day of the invention of the cross. The climate here is pleasant, but the isles are uncultivated and desert. Lat. 5° n.
COCUI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Tunja in the NueVo Reyno de Granada ; situate at the foot of the sierra Nevada. It is of a cold temperature, but abounds in all kinds of productions, and particularly in wheat, maize, barley, &c. It contains 700 white inhabitants, and 150 Indians. Thirty-two leagues from Tunja, and eight from the settlement of Chita.
COCUPAC, a city and head settlement of the district of the alcaldia mayor of Valladolid in Nueva Espana, and of the bishopric of Mechoaean. Its situation is in a nook to the n. of the great lake. On the e. and ze. are two lofty mountains, which form so many other entrances, the one to the 5. and the other to the n. Its temperature is rather cold than w'arm ; and although it does not want for fruits, it is but ill supplied with water, the only stream it has not running more than the distance of a stone’s throw before it enters a lake. The inhabitants are thus under the necessity of supplying themselves by wells. The population of this city consists in 45 families of Spaniards, 52 of Mustees and Mulattoes, and 150 of Indians. They occupy themselves in the making of tiles or flags ; and the inferior order are muleteers. It has a convent of the religious order of St. Francis.
COD, a cape of the coast of New England and province of Massachusetts. It runs for many leagues towards the sea, forming a large semicircle, and afterwards returning, forms the bay of Barnstable. [See Cape Cod, Barnstable, &c.]
C O H
or country of Labrador. It runs s. e, and enters the St. Lawrence.
CODEGO. See Tierra Bomba.
[CODORUS, a township in York county, Pennsylvania.]
[COEYMANS, a township in Albany county. New York, 12 miles below Albany. By the state census of 1796, S89 of its inhabitants are electors.]
COFANES, a barbarous nation of Indians of the kingdom of Quito, Avhich began to be converted to the Catholic religion in 1602, through the labour and zeal of the Father Rafael Ferrer, of the extinguished company of the Jesuits, and who was killed by the same Indians. The principal settlement, founded by this martyr, with the dedicatory title of San Pedro, is now almost destroyed, though some few inhabitants still remain. The same is situate between the river of its nasne to the n. and that of Azuela to the s. The above river is large and rapid, anti takes its name from these Indians. It rises in the sierra Nevada, or Snowy, runs from u. to c. and enters the Azuela, in lat. 13° n.
COGUA, a settlement of the corregimiento of Zipaguira in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada. It is of a very cold temperature, and abounds in the productions peculiar to its climate, particularly in fire-wood, with which it supplies, for the manufacturing of salt, the settlements of Nemocon and Zipaquira. To this last settlement it is very contiguous ; and it lies nine leagues n, of Santa Fe. Its population is reduced to 70 housekeepers, and as many other Indians.
[CoHANZY, or Casaria, a small river, which rises in Salem county. New Jersey, and running through Cumberland county, empties into Delaware river, opposite the upper end of Bombay hook. It is about SO miles in length, and is navigable for vessels of 100 tons to Bridgetown, 20 miles from its mouth.]
[COHASSET, a township in Norfolk county, Massachusetts, which was incorporated in 1770, and contains 817 inhabitants. It has a Congregational church, and 126 houses, scattered on different farms. Cohasset rocks, which have been so fatal to many vessels, lie oft' this town, about a league from the shore. It lies 25 miles s. e. of Boston, but in a straight line not above half the distance.]
[COHGNAWAGA, a parish in the township of Johnstown, Montgomery county. New York, on the ay. side of Mohawk river, 26 miles w. of Schenectady. This place, which had been settled near SO years, and which was the seat of Sir William Johnson, was mostly destroyed by the British and Indians, under the command of Sir William in the year 1780; in this action Johnson evinced a want of feeling which would have disgraced a savage. The people destroyed in this ex[)cdition were his old neighbours, with whom he had formerly lived in the habits of friendship ; his estate was among them, and the inhabitants had always considered him as their friend and neighbour. These unfortunate people, after seeing their houses and property consumed to ashes, were hurried, such as could walk, into cruel captivity ; those who could not Avalk fell victims to the toraaliawk and scalping knife. See Caghnaw aga.]
[COllOEZ, or the Falls, in Mohawk river, between two and three miles from its mouth, and 10 miles n. of Albany, are a very great natural curiosity. The river above the falls is about 300 yards wide, and approaches them from the n. w. in a
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 2]
GEOGRAPHICAL AND HISTORICAL
AMERICA AND THE WEST INDIES.
Dabaiba, an imaginary and fabulous river, which some travellers would fain have to be in the mountains of Abide. Amongst the many rivers, however, which flow down from that cordillera, we find no one of this name in the ancient or mo dern charts of the best geographers.
DACADMA, a lake of the province and country of the Amazonas, in the territory pos sessed by the Portuguese. It is formed by an arm or waste- water of the river Marañon, which returns to enter that river, leaving this lake; and at a small distance from it is another, called Cudaja.
[DALTON, a fine township in Berkshire county, Massachusetts, having Pittsfield on the w. ; and contains 554 inhabitants. The stage road from Boston to Albany runs through it. Dalton was incorporated in 1784, and lies 135 miles ay. by n. of Boston, and about 35 the same course from Northampton.]
[Dalton, a township in Grafton county. New Hampshire, first called Apthorpe, ivas incorporated in 1784, and has only 14 inhabitants. It lies on the e. bank of Connecticut river, at the Fifteen mile falls, opposite Concord, in Essex county, Vermont.]