Pages That Mention Colchagua
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
CHIMALAPA, Santa Maria de a settlement of the head settlement of the district and alcaldia mayor of Tehuantepec in Nueva Espana. It is of a cold temperature, and the whole of its district is covered with very large trees, especially firs fit for ship-building. Twenty-five leagues n.w. of its capital,
CHIAMLHUACAN, a settlement of the head settlement and alcaldia mayor of Coatepec in Nueva Espana. It contains a good convent of the religious order of St. Domingo, 300 families of Spaniards, il/wsfees, and Mulattoes, who employ themselves in labour, and in the commerce of seeds and large and small cattle, which are bred in the estates contiguous ; but the latter in no great degree, owing to the scarcity of water and pasture which prevails here.
Same name, another settlement and head settlement of the district in the alcaldia mayor of Chaleo, of the same kingdom. It contains 166 families of Indians, and a convent of the religious order of St. Domingo. Five leagues n. of its capital.
CHIMAN, a settlement of the province and government of Darien, in the kingdom of Tierra Firme ; situate near the coast of the S. sea, and on the shore of the river of its name, having a small port, which is garrisoned by a detachment from Panama, for the purpose of restraining the invasions which are continually made by the Indians.
CHIMBA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Coquimbo in the kingdom of Chile. It has the celebrated talc gold-mine which was discovered 36 years ago by a fisherman, who pulling up a plant of large and prickly leaves, called cordon, or fuller’s thistle, for the purpose of fuel for his fire, observed that particles of gold dropped from its roots; and having more narrowly inspected it, found pieces amidst the mould of considerable size and of very fine quality. Thus
a mine became established here, and when it was first dug it yielded from 300 to 500 dollars each caxon.
CHIMBACALLE a settlement of the kingdom of Quito, in the corregimienio of the district of Las Cinco Leguasde la Capital, (ofthe Five Leagues from the Capital), of which this is looked upon as a suburb from its proximity.
CHIMBARONGO, a river of the kingdom of Chile. It rises in the mountains of its cordillera^ and unites itself with that of Tinguiragua to enter the Napel. This river waters and fertilizes some very pleasant and delightful valleys, abounding in pastures, whereon breed and fatten an infinite number of cattle. On its shores are two convents, one ofthe religious order of Nuestra Senora de la Merced, for the instruction of the Indians in the Christian faith ; and another a house for novices, which belonged to the regulars of the society of Jesuits ; and also within a league’s distance from the latter, is a convent of the order of St. Domingo.
Same name, a settlement of the province and corregimienio of Colchagua in the same kingdom ; situate in the Former valley, between the rivers Tinguiririca and Teno. There is also another small settlement annexed, with a chapel of ease. In its district is a convent of the religious order of La Merced.
[CHIMBO, a jurisdiction in the province of Zinto in South America, in the torrid zone. The capital is also called by the same name.]
CHIMBO Y ALAUSI, a province and corregimiento of the kingdom of Quito ; bounded n. oy the serrania of the asiento of Ambato ; s, by the government and jurisdiction of Guayaquil ; e. by the district of the point of Santa Elena of this government; and ro. by the province of Riobamba. Its district is barren and poor, and the country being mountainous, the inhabitants have no resource for getting their livelihood other than by acting as carriers between the provinces of Riobamba and Tacunga on the one hand, and the warehouses of Babahoyo on the other, where also are the royal magazines ; and thus they bring back goods from the provinces of Peru, having for this traffic a number of requas, or droves of mules, amounting in the whole to 1500 head. This commerce can only be carried on in the summer, the roads being impassable in the winter through the mountains, when they say that these are shut up : at the same season the rivers become swollen to such a degree
COLATPA, a settlement of the head settlement of Olinalá, and alcald'in mayor of TIapa, in Nueva Espana. It contains 29 families of Indians, who employ themselves in the commerce of chia, a v/hite medicinal earth, and cochineal, which abound in their territory : n. w. of its head settlement.
COLAZA, a small and ancient province, extremely fertile and delightful, belonging at the present day to the province of Popayán in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada. It was discovered by Sebastian de Benalcazar in 1536. Its inhabitants, who were a warlike and cruel race, are entirely extirpated.
COLCHA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento oi Lipes, and archbishopric of Charcas, in Peru. It was formerly the capital, and preserves in its cluirch an image of the blessed virgin, sent thither by the Emperor Charles V. It is now annexed to the curacy of San Christoval.
COLCHAGUA, a province and^ corregimiento of the kingdom of Chile ; bounded on the e. by the cordillera Nevada ; s. by the province of Maule, the river Teno serving as the boundary ; and w. by the sea. It is 40 leagues in length from e. to w. and 32 in width from n. to s. Here are some gold mines, and there were several others, the working of which has been discontinued : here are also some copper mines. It abounds in wheat, large and small cattle, horses and mules. In a part called Cauquencs are some hot baths, which arc much frequented, from the salutary affects they produce, especially upon those affected with the French disease, leprosy, spots on the skin, or wounds. The inhabitants of this province amount to 15,000 souls, and its capital is the town of San Fernando.
COLCHAGUA, a settlement of this province and corregimiento, which is the head of a curacy of another, and contains four chapels of ease.
(COLCHESTER, a township in Ulster county. New York, on the Popachton branch of Delaware river, s. w. of Middletown, and about 50 miles s. w. by s. of Cooperstown. By the state census of 1796, 193 of its inhabitants are electors.)
(Colchester, a large township in New London county, Connecticut, seltled in 1701 ; about 15 miles tc. of Norwich, 25 s. e. of Hartford, and 20 n. w. of New London city. It is in contemplation to have a post-office established in this town.)
(Colchester, a post-town in Fairfax county, Virginia ; situate on the n. e. bank of Ocquoquam creek, three or four miles from its confluence with the Potowmack ; and is here about 100 yards wide, and navigable for boats. It contains about 40 houses, and lies 16 miles s. w. of Alexandria, 106 n. by e. of Richmond, and 172 from Philadelphia.)
(Colchester River, Nova Scotia. See CoheQUIT.)