Pages That Mention United States
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
vernment of Jaen de Bracamoros in the kingdom of Quito. It runs from 7i. to s, and enters tlie Chinchipe on the n. side, somewhat lower than where this latter is entered by the Naraballe, and near a small settlement of Indians.
Cherokee, a large river of the above colony and province, called also Hogohegee and Callamaco. It rises in the county of Augusta, and takes its name from a numerous nation of Indians ; runs V). for many leagues, forming a curve, and enters the Ohio near the fourches of the Mississippi. Near to this river are some very large and fertile plains ; and according to the account rendered by the Indians, there are, at the distance of 40 leagues from the Chicazas nation, four islands, called Tahogale, Kakick, Cochali, and Tali, inhabited by as many other different nations of Indians. (Cherokee was the ancient name of Tennessee river. The name of Tennessee was formerly confined to the fourteenth branch, which empties 15 mites above the mouth of Clinch river, and 18 below Knoxville.)
Cherokee, the country of the Indians of the nation of this name in North Carolina. It stands w. as far as the Mississippi, and w. as far as the confines of the Six Nations. It was ceded to the English by the treaty of Westminster, in 1729. (This celebrated Indian nation is now on the decline. They reside in the n. parts of Georgia, and the s. parts of the state of Tennessee ; having the Apalachian or Cherokee mountains on the e. which separate them from North and South Carolina, and Tennessee river on the n. and w. and the Creek Indians on the s. The present line between them and the state of Tennessee is not yet settled. A line of experiment was drawn, in 1792, from Clinch river across Holston to Chilhove mountain ; but the Cherokee commissioners not appearing, it is called a line of experiment. The complexion of the Cherokees is brighter than that of the neighbouring Indians. They are robust and well made, and taller than many of their neighbours ; being generally six feet high, a few are more, and some less. Their women are tall, slender, and delicate. The talents and morals of the Cherokees are held in great esteem. They were formerly a powerful nation ; but by continual wars, in which it has been their destiny lo be engaged with the n. Indian tribes, and with the whites, they are now reduced to about 1500 warriors ; and they are becoming weak and pusillanimous. Some writers estimate their numbers at 2500 warriors. They have 43 towns now inhabited.)
Cherokee, a settlement of Indians of this nation, in the same country as that in which the English had a fort and establishment, at the source of the river Caillon ; which spot is at present abandoned.
CHERREPE, a port of the coast of Peru, and of the S. sea, in the province and corregimienlo of Saña, is open, unprotected, and shallow ; and consequently frequented only by vessels driven to it through stress, and for the sake of convenience. It is in lat. 7° 70' s.
(CHERRY Valley, a post-town in Otsego county, New York, at the head of the creek of the same name, about 12 miles >/. e. of Coopersfown, and 18 s. of Canajohary, 61 w. of Albany, and 336 from Philadelphia. It contains about 30 houses, and a Presbyterian church. There is an academy here, which contained, in 1796, 50 or 60 scholars. It is a spacious buildit)g, 60 feet by 40. The township is very large, and lies along the e. side of Otsego lake, and its outlet to Adiqnatangie creek. By the state census of 1796, it appears that 629 of its inhabitants are electors. This settlement sutlered severely from the Indians in the late war.)
(CHESAPEAK is one of the largest and safest bays in the United States. Its entrance is nearly e. n. e. and s. s. between cape Charles, lat. 37° 13' and cape Henry, lat. 37°, in Virginia, 12 miles wide, and it extends 70 miles to the ??. dividing Virginia and Maryland. It is from 7 to IS miles broad, and generally as much as 9 fathoms deep ; affording many commodious harbours, and a sale and easy navigation. It has many fertile islands, and these are generally along the c. side of the bay, except a few solitary ones near the xo. shore. A number of navigable rivers and other streams empty into if, the chief of which are Susquehannab, Fatapsco, Patuxent, Pofowmack, Rappahannock, and A^ork, which are all large and navigable. Chesapeak bay'- afibrds many excellent fisheries of herring and shad. There are also excellent crabs and oysters. It is the resort of swans, but is more particularly remarkable for a species of wild duck, called camashac/c, whose flesh is entirely free from any fishy taste, and is admired by epicures for its richness and delicacy. In a coinnierciul point of view, this bay is of im--
spicaous arc the parish church, the college which belonged to the Jesuits, and the convent of St. Francisco. It enjoys a mild and pleasant temperature, and its principal commerce consists in silver, which it derives in large quantities from its mines, and which is given in exchange for all kinds of articles of merchandize, brought hither by such as are induced to visit this place, and who are attracted in great numbers, so as to render the town extremely populous. [This town is surrounded with considerable mines to the e. of the great real of Santa Rosa de Cosiguiriachi. It was founded in 1691, and has a population of about 7000 souls, according to Pike, though Humboldt estimates the same at 11,600. It is 260 leagues 77. n. w. of Mexico, in long. 104° 32', and lat. 28° 47' n.]
CHIGUARA, a settlement of the government and jurisdiction of Maracaibo in the province of Venezuela. It is of a cold temperature, abounds in cacao, sugar-cane, and other vegetable productions peculiar to the climate. It was formerly a large and rich town, owing to the number of estates which lie within its district, and particularly to one within a league’s distance, called Los Estangues, in which there used to be upwards of 40,000 head of large cattle ; to another also which belonged to the regulars of the society of Jesuits, called La Selva. It is, however, at the present day, destroyed and laid waste by the incursions of the Motilones Indians ; and its population scarcely amounts to 40 Indians and 90 whites.
[CHIHOHOEKI, an Indian nation, who were confederates of the Lenopi or Delawares, and inhabited the w. bank of Delaware river, which was anciently called by their name. Their s. boundary was Duck creek, in Newcastle county.]
CHIHUATA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Arequipa in Peru. It is of a cold temperature, and in its jurisdiction is a lake, from whence is taken salt sufficient to supply the whole province, the surplus being used in the working of the metals.
CHIKAGO River empties into the s. w. end of lake Michigan, where a fort formerly stood.
Here The Indians Have Ceded To The United States by the treaty of Greenville, a tract of land six miles square.
CHILA, a settlement and head settlement of the district of the alcaldia mayor of Acatlan in Nueva España. It contains 200 families of Indians, some of Spaniards diad. Mustees, and a convent of the religious order of St. Domingo.
CHILAC, San Gabriel de, a settlement and head settlement of the district of the alcaldia mayor of Thehuacan in Nueva España. It contains 286 families of Indians, and lies four leagues to the 5. w. of its capital.
CHILAPA, a capital settlement of the alcaldia mayor of this name in Nueva España. Its temperature is rather cold. It contains 41 families of Spaniards, 72 of Mustees, 26 of Mulattoes, and 447 of Indians, and a convent of the religious order of St. Augustin ; belonging, in as much as regards its ecclesiastical functions, to the bishopric of La Puebla. The jurisdiction is composed of 11 head settlements of districts, and of 23 others, in which are enumerated 2503 families of Indians, 65 of Spaniards, 116 of Mustees, and 47 of Mulattoes ; all of whom are occupied in the cultivation and selling of its natural productions, which are sugar, honey, and cascalote, and in the making of earthen-ware and scarlet cloth. This settlement abounds also in wild wax, cotton, in the fruits of the country, potatoes, and other vegetables. It is sixty leagues to the s. a quarter to the s. w. of Mexico, in long. 99°, and lat. 17° 11'. The other settlements are,
San Juan de la Brea, Zitlala,
Tepoxtlan, Quecholtenango, San Martin, Colotlipan, Xocutla, Nazintla, Teozintla, Zicultepec, Calmetitlan.
Chilapa, San Miguel de, another settle-