377

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Show Translation

vernment of Jaen de Bracamoros in the kingdom
of Quito. It runs from 7i. to s, and enters tlie
Chinchipe on the n. side, somewhat lower than
where this latter is entered by the Naraballe, and
near a small settlement of Indians.

CHERNAL, a port of the coast of the kingdom
of Chile, in the district of the province and ccr-
regimiet7tn of Copiapó. Lat. 27° 27'.

CHEROKEE, a settlement of North Carolina,
where there is a fort built by the English on the
shore of the river of its name, and at the mouth of
the Agiqua.

Cherokee, a large river of the above colony
and province
, called also Hogohegee and Calla-
maco. It rises in the county of Augusta, and takes
its name from a numerous nation of Indians ; runs
V). for many leagues, forming a curve, and enters
the Ohio near the fourches of the Mississippi. Near
to this river are some very large and fertile plains ;
and according to the account rendered by the In-
dians, there are, at the distance of 40 leagues from
the Chicazas nation, four islands, called Tahogale,
Kakick, Cochali, and Tali, inhabited by as many
other different nations of Indians. (Cherokee was
the ancient name of Tennessee river. The name of
Tennessee was formerly confined to the fourteenth
branch, which empties 15 mites above the mouth of
Clinch river, and 18 below Knoxville.)

Cherokee, the country of the Indians of the
nation of this name in North Carolina. It stands
w. as far as the Mississippi, and w. as far as the
confines of the Six Nations. It was ceded to the
English by the treaty of Westminster, in 1729.
(This celebrated Indian nation is now on the de-
cline. They reside in the n. parts of Georgia,
and the s. parts of the state of Tennessee ; having
the Apalachian or Cherokee mountains on the e.
which separate them from North and South Caro-
lina, and Tennessee river on the n. and w. and the
Creek Indians on the s. The present line between
them and the state of Tennessee is not yet settled.
A line of experiment was drawn, in 1792, from
Clinch river across Holston to Chilhove mountain ;
but the Cherokee commissioners not appearing, it
is called a line of experiment. The complexion of
the Cherokees is brighter than that of the neigh-
bouring Indians. They are robust and well made,
and taller than many of their neighbours ; being
generally six feet high, a few are more, and some
less. Their women are tall, slender, and delicate.
The talents and morals of the Cherokees are held
in great esteem. They were formerly a powerful
nation ; but by continual wars, in which it has been
their destiny lo be engaged with the n. In-
dian tribes, and with the whites, they are now re-
duced to about 1500 warriors ; and they are be-
coming weak and pusillanimous. Some writers
estimate their numbers at 2500 warriors. They
have 43 towns now inhabited.)

Cherokee, a settlement of Indians of this na-
tion, in the same country as that in which the Eng-
lish had a fort and establishment, at the source of
the river Caillon ; which spot is at present aban-
doned.

CHERREPE, a port of the coast of Peru, and of
the S. sea, in the province and corregimienlo of
Saña, is open, unprotected, and shallow ; and
consequently frequented only by vessels driven to
it through stress, and for the sake of convenience.
It is in lat. 7° 70' s.

CHERRITON, a port of the coast of the pro-
vince and colony of Maryland, within the bay of
Chesapeak, behind cape Charles.

(CHERRY Valley, a post-town in Otsego
county, New York, at the head of the creek of the
same name, about 12 miles >/. e. of Coopersfown,
and 18 s. of Canajohary, 61 w. of Albany,
and 336 from Philadelphia. It contains about 30
houses, and a Presbyterian church. There is an
academy here, which contained, in 1796, 50 or 60
scholars. It is a spacious buildit)g, 60 feet by 40.
The township is very large, and lies along the e.
side of Otsego lake, and its outlet to Adiqnatangie
creek. By the state census of 1796, it appears
that 629 of its inhabitants are electors. This set-
tlement sutlered severely from the Indians in the
late war.)

(CHESAPEAK is one of the largest and safest
bays in the United States. Its entrance is nearly
e. n. e. and s. s. between cape Charles, lat. 37°
13' and cape Henry, lat. 37°, in Virginia, 12 miles
wide, and it extends 70 miles to the ??. dividing
Virginia and Maryland. It is from 7 to IS miles
broad, and generally as much as 9 fathoms deep ;
affording many commodious harbours, and a sale
and easy navigation. It has many fertile islands,
and these are generally along the c. side of the bay,
except a few solitary ones near the xo. shore. A
number of navigable rivers and other streams
empty into if, the chief of which are Susque-
hannab, Fatapsco, Patuxent, Pofowmack, Rap-
pahannock, and A^ork, which are all large and na-
vigable. Chesapeak bay'- afibrds many excellent
fisheries of herring and shad. There are also ex-
cellent crabs and oysters. It is the resort of
swans, but is more particularly remarkable for a
species of wild duck, called camashac/c, whose
flesh is entirely free from any fishy taste, and is
admired by epicures for its richness and delicacy.
In a coinnierciul point of view, this bay is of im--

Page Notes

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page