378

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Show Translation

378

CHE

CHE

raense advantage to the neighbouring states, parti
cularly to Virginia. Of that state it has been ob
served, with some little exaggeration, however,
that “ every planter has a river at his door.”)

(CHESHIRE county, in New Hampshire, lies in
the s. w. part of the state, on the e. bank of Con
necticut river. It has the state of Massachusetts
on the s. Grafton county on the n. and Hillsbo
rough county e. It lias 34 townships, of which
Charlestown and Keene are the chief, and 28,772
inhabitants, including 16 slaves.)

(Cheshire, a township in Berkshire county,
Massachusetts ; famous for its good cheese ; 140
miles fi. w. from Boston.)

(Cheshire, a township in New-Haven county,
Connecticut, 15 miles n. of New-Haven city, and
26 s.to. of Hartford. It contains an Episcopal
church and academy, and three Conffreffational
churches.)

(CHESNUT HILL, a township in Northampton
county, Pennsylvania.)

(Chesnut Creek, a branch of the Great Kanha
way, in Virginia, where it crosses the Carolina
line. Here, it is said, are iron mines.)

(Chesnut Ridge. Part of the Alleghany
mountains, in Pennsylvania, are thus called, s. e.
of Greensborough.)

CHESSOT, a town of the province and colony
of North Carolina ; situate on the shore of the
river Euphasee.

(CHESTER, a township in Lunenburg county,
Nova Scotia, on Mali one bay, settled originally
by a few families from New England. From
hence to Windsor is a road, the distance of 25
miles.)

(Chester, a small plantation in Lincoln county,
Maine, nine miles from Titcomb. It has eight or
nine families.)

(Chester, a township in Hampshire county,
Massachusetts, adjoining Westfield on the e. and
about 20 miles n. w. of Springfield. It contains
177 houses, and 1119 inhabitants.)

(Chester, a large, pleasant, and elegant town
ship in Rockingham county. New Hampshire.
It is 21 miles in length ; and on the w. side is a
pretty large lake, which sends its waters to Merri
mack river. It was incorporated in 1722, and
contains 1902 inhabitants, who are chiefly farmers.
It is situated on the e. side of Merrimack river,
14 miles n. w. of Haverhill, as far w. of Exeter,
35 tflTby s. of Portsmouth, six n. of Londonderry,
and 306 from Philadelphia. From the compact
part of this town there is a gentle descent to the
sea, which, in a clear day, may be seen from
thence. It is a post-town, and contains about 60

houses and a Congregational church. Rattlesnake
hill, in this township, is a great curiosity; it is
half a mile in diameter, of a circular form, and
400 feet high. On the side, 10 yards from its
base, is the entrance of a cave, called the Devil’s
Den, which is a room 15 or 20 feet square, and
four feet high, floored and circled by a regular
rock, from the upper part of which are depend
ent many excrescences, nearly in the form and
size of a pear, which, when approached by a torch,
throw out a sparkling lustre of almost every hue;
It is a cold, dreary place, of which many fright
ful stories are told by those who delight in the
marvellous.)

(Chester, a township in Windsor county, Ver
mont, w. of Springfield, and II miles w. by s. of
Charlestown, in New Hampshire, and contains
981 inhabitants.)

(Chester, a borough and post-town in Penn
sylvania, and the capital of Delaware county;
pleasantly situated on the w. side of Delaware ri
ver, near Marcus hook, and 13 miles n. e. of Wil
mington. It contains about 60 houses, built on a
regular plan, a court-house, and a gaol. From
Cliester to Philadelphia is 20 miles by water, and
15 n. e. by land ; here the river is narrowed by
islands of marsh, which are generally banked,
and turned into rich and immensely valuable mea
dows. The first colonial assembly was convened
here, the 4th of December 1682. The place af
fords genteel inns and good entertainment, and is
the resort of much company from the metropolis
duringthe summer season. It was incorporated in
December 1795, and is governed by two bur
gesses, a constable, a town-clerk, and three assist
ants ; whose power is limited to preserve the peace
and order of the place.)

(Chester County, in Pennsylvania, w. of Dela
ware county, and s. w. of Philadelphia ; about 45
miles in length, and 30 in breadth. It contains
33 townships, of which West Chester is the shire
town, and 27,937 inhabitants, of whom 145 are
slaves. Iron ore is found in the n. parts, which
employs six forges : these manufacture 'about
1000 tons of bar-iron annually.)

(Chester Court-House, in South Carolina, 22
miles s. of Pinckney court-house, and 58 n. w. of
Columbia. A post-office is kept here.)

(Chester River, a navigable water of the
e. side of Maryland, which rises two miles within
the line of Delaware state, by two sources, Cyprus
and Andover creeks, which unite at Bridgetown ;
runs nearly s. w. ; after passing Chester it runs s.
nearly three miles, when it receives South-Eastern
creek ; and 15 miles farther, in a s. w. direction, it

Page Notes

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page