Pages That Mention Jamaica
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
vince and government, on the shore of the river Masparro, between the cities of New and Old Barinas.
Catalina, Santa, another settlement of the province and government of Venezuela, on the shore of the river Mosquitos, near where this river enters the Orituco.
Catalina, Santa, another settlement of the province and government of Cartagena, in the kingdom of Tierra Firme.
Catalina, Santa, another settlement of the province and government of La Sonora in Nueva Espana ; situate in the country of the Sobaipuris Indians, on the shore of a river which enters the Gila, between the settlements of San Cosme and San Angelo.
Catalina, Santa, another settlement of the province and government of Tucumán, in the jurisdiction of the city of Xuxuy, with four chapels of ease.
Catalina, Santa, another settlement of the province and alcaldia mayor of Los Zoques in the kingdom of Guatemala.
Catalina, Santa, another, of the province and alcaldia mayor of Chiapa in the same kingdom.
Catalina, Santa, another settlement of the island of Barbadoes, in the parish and district of S. George.
Catalina, Santa, another settlement of the island of Jamaica, which is a parish of the English, situate in the s. part.
Catalina, Santa, some sierras or mountains of the coast of Brazil, in the province and captainship of Rey, opposite the island of Santa Catalina, from which they take their name.
Catalina, Santa, a cape or point of land on the coast of the province and government of Costarica and kingdom of Guatemala, between the port of Las Velas and the town of Nicaragua.
Catalina, Santa, a small island close to the s. coast of the island of St. Domingo, between La Saona and the bay of Caballo.
Catalina, Santa, another island of the coast of Florida to the n. of Georgia.
Catalina, Santa, another island of the coast of Georgia, between the islands Sapola and Assabaw.
Catalina, Santa, a bay on the coast of the straits of Magellan, between point St. Silvestre and point St. Antonio de Padua.
Catalina, Santa, a bay of the e. coast of the island of Newfoundland, between the Saint’s cape and New cape.
Catalina, Santa, a river of the province and colony of Maryland, in the county of Talbot. It runs j. and enters the sea in the bay of Chesapeak.
Catalina, Santa, an island of the N. sea, near the coast of Tierra Firme, opposite the Escudo de Veraguas. It is of a good temperature, fertile, and abounding in cattle and fruits. It had in it a settlement defended by two castles, called Santiago and Santa Teresa; which, together with the town, were destroyed by an English pirate, John Morgan, who took the island in 1665 ; and although it was recovered in the same year by the president of Panama and Colonel Don J uan Perez de Guzman, it remained abandoned and desert.
Catalina, Santa, another small island near the coast of Brazil. See St. Catherine.
Catalina, Santa, a small island, situate to the s. of St. Domingo, and close to it in the front of the settlement of Higuey.
Catalina, Santa, a valley, in which there is also a small settlement, in the Nuevo Reyno de Leon ; annexed to the curacy of its capital, from whence it lies three leagues to the w. It contains 20 families in its neighbourhood, and produces only some sorts of pulse and some goats.
Catalina, Santa, another valley of the province and corregimiento of Moquehua in Peru, bounded by a river and by the cordillera.
Catalina, Santa, a bay on the coast of Nova Scotia, between the port Carnero and that of Ours or Oso.
CATAMAIU, a large and rapid river of the province and government of Loxa in the kingdom of Quito, also called Chira, at the part where it enters the sea. It rises in the paramo or desert mountain of Sabanilla ; and collecting the waters of several smaller rivers, runs from s. to n. until it unites itself with tlie Gonzanama, which enters it on the s. side, in lat. S° 47' s. ; it then turns its course to the xo. and afterwards to the 5 . w. and receives the tributary streams of the rivers Quiros, Macara, and Pelingara ; all of which enter it on the s. side. Being swelled with these, it takes the name of Amotape, from the settlement of this name, situate on its shore. Near its mouth this river is called Colan, and it empties itself into the sea in the corregimiento and province ofPiura. The countries which it laves are fertile and beautiful, and its banks are covered with orchards and plantations of sugar-canes of the territory of Loxa. The climate here is very hot, and in the valleys formed by this river the inhabitants are much afflicted with the tertian fever ; its waters are generally very cold and unwliolesonic.
C L A
C L A
Same name, another (settlement), of the province and government of Venezuela ; situate on the shore of a river to the n, n. w. of the city of Nirua.
Same name, another (settlement), of the province and government of Yucatan ; situate on the coast between the settlements of Silan and Sisal.
Same name, another (settlement), of the missions belonging to the religious of St. Francis, in the kingdom of Nuevo Mexico.
Same name, another (settlement), of the island of Cuba ; situate on the n. coast.
[CLARE, a township on St. Mary’s bay, in Annapolis county, Nova Scotia. It has about 50 families, and is composed of woodland and salt marsh.]
CLARE, a small island of the South sea, close to the port of Guayaquil. It is desert, and two leagues in length. It is commonly called Amorta~ jado, since, being looked upon from any part, it bears the resemblance to a dead man. Twentyfive leagues from Cape Blanco.
[Clare, a very lofty mountain of the province and government of Sonora in Nueva Espaila, near the coast of the gulf of California, and in the most interior part. It was discovered in 1698.]
Same name, a small lake of New France, which is formed by the strait of Misisagues, between lake Huron and that of Erie.
Same name, a bay on the coast of the country and land of Labrador, in the strait of Belle-isle.
[CLAREMONT, a township in Cheshire county, New Hampshire, on the e. side of Connecticut river, opposite Ascutney mountain, in Vermont, and on the n. side of Sugar river ; 24; miles i. of Dartmouth college, and 121 s.w. hy w. of Portsmouth. It was incorporated in 1764, and contains 1435 inhabitants.]
[Claremont County, in Camden district, S. Carolina, contains 2479 white inhabitants, and 2110 slaves. Statesburg is the county town.]
CLARENDON, a county of South Carolina, [the southernmost in Camden district, about SO miles long and SO broad, and in 1792 contained 1790 whites and 602 slaves.]
Same name, a settlement of the island of Jamaica ; situate on the s. coast.
[Clarendon, a township near the centre of Rutland county, Vermont, watered by Otter creek and its tributary streams; 14 or 15 miles e. of Fairbaven, and 44 «. e. of Bennington. It contains 1478 inhabitants. On the s. e. side of a mountain in the w. part of Clarendon, or in the edge of Tinmouth, is a curious cave, the mouth of which is not more than two feet and a half in diameter ; in its descent the passage makes an angle with the horizon of 35° or 40°; but continues of nearly the same diameter through its whole length, which is 31^ feet. At that distance from the mouth, it opens into a spacious room, 20 feet long, 12| wide, and 18 or 20 feet high ; every part of the floor, sides, and roof of this room appear to be a solid rock, but very rough and uneven. The water is continually percolating through the top, and has formed stalactites of various forms ; many of which are conical, and some have the appearance of massive columns ; from this room there is a communication by a narrow passage to others equally curious.]
CLARINES, a settlement of the province of Barcelona, and government of Cumana, in the kingdom of Tierra Firme; lying to the e. of the city of Barcelona, and on the shore of the river Unare.
CLARKE, a settlement of the island of Barbadoes, in the district of the parish of St. Joseph, and on the e. coast.
Same name, another (settlement), of the same island (Barbadoes), on the 5 .. coast.
[Clarke, a new county of Kentucky, between the head waters of Kentucky and Licking riversIts chief town is Winchester.]
[CLARKSBURG, the chief town of Harrison county, Virginia. It contains about 40 houses, a court-house, and gaol ; and stands on the e. side of Monongahela river, 40 miles s. w. of Morgantown.]
[CLARKSTOWN, in Orange county. New York, lies on the w. side of the Tappan sea, two miles distant, n. from Tappan township six miles, and from New York city 29 miles. By the state census of 1796, 224 of its inhabitants are electors.]
[CLARKSVILLE, the chief town of what was till lately called Tennessee county, in the state of Tennessee, is pleasantly situated on the e. bank of Cumberland river, and at the mouth of Red river, opposite the mouth of Muddy creek. It contains about SO houses, a court-house, and gaol, 45, miles w. w. of Nashville, 220 n. w. by w. of Knoxville, and 940 zso. by s. of Philadelphia. Lat. 36° 25' n. Long. 87° 23' a).]
[Clarksville, a small settlement in the n, w. territory, which contained in 1791 about 60 souks. It is situate on the n. bank of the Ohio, opposite Louisville, a mile below the rapids, and 100 miles s. e. of post Vincent. It is frequently flooded when the river is high, and inhabited by people who cannot at present find a better situation.]
COLARIA, a settlement of the province and government of Tucumán, in the district of the capital, to the zo. of this province.
COLASTINA, a small river of the province and government of Buenos Ayres. It runs e. and enters the Parana,
COLATE, a small river of the province and alcaldta mayor of Tecoantepec in the kingdom of Guatemala. It runs into the S. sea, between the rivers Azatian and Capanerealte.
COLATPA, a settlement of the head settlement of Olinalá, and alcald'in mayor of TIapa, in Nueva Espana. It contains 29 families of Indians, who employ themselves in the commerce of chia, a v/hite medicinal earth, and cochineal, which abound in their territory : n. w. of its head settlement.
COLAZA, a small and ancient province, extremely fertile and delightful, belonging at the present day to the province of Popayán in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada. It was discovered by Sebastian de Benalcazar in 1536. Its inhabitants, who were a warlike and cruel race, are entirely extirpated.
COLCA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Vilcas Huaman in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Huanacapi.
COLCA, another settlement in the province and corregimiento of Xauja in the same kingdom ; annexed to the curacy of Chongos.
COLCA, another, in the province and corregimiento of Aimaraez in the same kingdom ; annexed to the curacy of Pampamarca.
COLCABAMBA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Aimaraez in Peru.
COLCABAMBA, another settlement, in the province and corregimiento of Theanta in the same kingdom.
COLCAHUANCA, a settlementof the province and corregimiento of Huailas in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Pampas.
COLCAMAR, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Luya and Chillaos in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Luya, its capital.
COLCHA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento oi Lipes, and archbishopric of Charcas, in Peru. It was formerly the capital, and preserves in its cluirch an image of the blessed virgin, sent thither by the Emperor Charles V. It is now annexed to the curacy of San Christoval.
COLCHA, another settlement, of the'province and corregimiento of Chilques and Masques in the same kingdom.
COLCHA, another, of the province and corregimiento of Cochabamba in the same kingdom ; annexed to the curacy of Berenguela,
COLCHAGUA, a province and^ corregimiento of the kingdom of Chile ; bounded on the e. by the cordillera Nevada ; s. by the province of Maule, the river Teno serving as the boundary ; and w. by the sea. It is 40 leagues in length from e. to w. and 32 in width from n. to s. Here are some gold mines, and there were several others, the working of which has been discontinued : here are also some copper mines. It abounds in wheat, large and small cattle, horses and mules. In a part called Cauquencs are some hot baths, which arc much frequented, from the salutary affects they produce, especially upon those affected with the French disease, leprosy, spots on the skin, or wounds. The inhabitants of this province amount to 15,000 souls, and its capital is the town of San Fernando.
COLCHAGUA, a settlement of this province and corregimiento, which is the head of a curacy of another, and contains four chapels of ease.
(COLCHESTER, a township in Ulster county. New York, on the Popachton branch of Delaware river, s. w. of Middletown, and about 50 miles s. w. by s. of Cooperstown. By the state census of 1796, 193 of its inhabitants are electors.)
(Colchester, a large township in New London county, Connecticut, seltled in 1701 ; about 15 miles tc. of Norwich, 25 s. e. of Hartford, and 20 n. w. of New London city. It is in contemplation to have a post-office established in this town.)
(Colchester, the chief town in Chittenden county, Vermont, is on the e. bank of lake Champlain, at the mouth of Onion river, and n, of Burlington, on Colchester bay, which spreads n. of the town.)
(Colchester, a post-town in Fairfax county, Virginia ; situate on the n. e. bank of Ocquoquam creek, three or four miles from its confluence with the Potowmack ; and is here about 100 yards wide, and navigable for boats. It contains about 40 houses, and lies 16 miles s. w. of Alexandria, 106 n. by e. of Richmond, and 172 from Philadelphia.)
(Colchester River, Nova Scotia. See CoheQUIT.)
COLCURA, a fortress of the kingdom of Chile, built on the opposite shore of the river Biobio, to restrain the incursions of the warlike Araucanian Indians, who burnt and destroyed it in 1601.
COLD Bay, in the extremity of the n. coast of the island of Jamaica, between the port Antonio and the n. e. point.
(COLD Spring, in the island of Jamaica, is a villa six miles from the high lands of Liguania. The grounds are in a high state of improvement.