The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
tive of Barcelana, a celebrated engineeer; also renowned in the constructing of the land-gate or entrance to Cadiz : he was promoted to this government for the purpose of inspecting and repairing the towers which had been destroyed by Admiral Vernon, which commission, after he had executed, he returned to Spain in 1755, and died directorgeneral of the body of engineers.
61. Don Fernando Morillo Velarde, knight of the order of Alcantara, colonel of infantry, at that time king’s lieutenant, when he received the government on account of the proprietor having gone to fortify the town of Portobelo.
62. Don Diego Tabares, knight of the order of Santiago, brigadier-general ; promoted to this government from that of Camana in 1755, and governed till 1761, when arrived his successor,
63. Don Joseph de Sobremonte, Marquis of this name, a brigadier, who was captain of the regiment of Spanish guards when he was nominated : he governed till 1770, when he died.
64. Don Gregorio de Sierra, also captain of grenadiers of the express regiment of Spanish guards ; he entered Cartagena in 1771, and died in 1774.
65. Don Juan Pimienta, colonel of the regiment of the infantry of Zamora, in rank a brigadier, and knight of the distinguished order of Charles III. ; he entered into the possession of the government in 1774, and died in 1781.
66. Don Roque de Quiroga, king’s lieutenant of the fortified town, or Plaza ; promoted as provincial governor through the death of his antecessor, until arrived, under the king’s appointment, the proprietor,
67. Don Joseph de Carrion y Andrade, a brigadier, who before had been governor of the Plaza of Manilla, and had rendered himself renowned when it was besieged by the Emperor of Marruecos, being nominated to this government in 1774 : he died in 1785.
CARTAGO, a city of the province and government of Popayan, founded by the Brigadier George Robledo in 1540, who gave it this name, with the dedicatory title of San Juan, his patron; the greater part of the military in it having come from the city of Cartagena in Europe. It did lie between the rivers Otun and Quindio; but the
continual invasions it has experienced from the Pijaos and Pimaes Indians, who are a bold and warlike people, determined its inhabitants to remove it at the end of the I7th century to the spot where it now stands ; having bought for that purpose some land of Tomasa Izquierdo, on the bank of an arm of the river of La Vieja, which is a large stream, and navigable for canoes and rafts, and which is at the distance of rather better than a quarter of a mile from the large river Cauca, into which the above river enters, forming before the city an island, which abounds in animals of the chase, and in cattle, and having on its banks excellent fishing. This city is of a dry and healthy climate ; and although hot, the atmosphere is always clear and serene. It is situate upon a level and somewhat elevated plain , of beautiful appearance ; the streets are spacious, wide and straight. It has a very large grand square. Its buildings are solid and of good structure, and universally roofed over with straw, having, however, the walls of solid stone from the top to the bottom ; others are built of brick, and others with rafters of wood, the walls being of clay, (which they call imbulidoSy or inlaid), so solid as to resist the force of the most violent earthquakes, as was experienced in one that happened in 1785. At a small distance from the city are various lakes or pools of water, which they call denegas, formed by nature, assisted by art. It is the residence of the lieutenant-governor of the government of Popayan, of two ordinary alcaldes, two of La Hermandad, two member* of an inferior court, a recorder, a procurator-general, a major domo de propiosy and six regidors^ the cabildo enjoying the privilege of electing and confirming these officers yearly. It has also a battalion of city militia, and two disciplined companies ; also some royal cofiers, which were brought from the city of Anserma. Besides the church of Matriz, in which is venerated, as the patroness, the Holy Virgin, under the image of Nuestra Senora de la Paz, (this being the pious gift of Philip III.) it has five parishes, viz. Santa Ana, Santa Barbara, Llano de Buga, Naranjo, Micos, and Pueblo de los Cerritos. The territory is extremely fertile and pleasant, abounding as well in fruits and pulse as in birds of various sorts ; and in no part whatever are plantains so various, or of so fine a quality. Tlie coffee is good, and the cacao, which is of two sorts, is excellent, and is called yellow and purple hayna. Of no less estimation is the tobacco, with which a great traffic was formerly carried on at Choco. The district of this city abounds in trees, medicinal herbs and fruits, and in an exquisite variety of cacao plants; also
in beautiful singing birds ; and in its rivers are many sorts of fish of a fine flavour, particularly the patah. It is not without mines of gold, and laba~ deros or washing places, but these are not worked, save by a few day-labourers. In the church of the monks of San Francisco is venerated an image of the most Holy Mary, with the title of La Probezuy painted on a piece of cotton-stuff, adorned with two fine pieces of silver, the natives payitig great devotion to this superb work, from the wonderful things that have been said to have been effected through the prayers offered up to her of whom this is the semblance. This city has been the native place of,
Don Melchor de Salazar, governor of Choco, and founder of the city Toro.
Of the Doctor Don Francisco Martinez Bueno, presbyter and visitor of the bishopric of Popayan ; a man of great literature.
Of the Doctor Don Manuel de Castro y Rada ; a most exemplary curate.
Of the Father Joseph Vicuna, who, after having been a celebrated Jesuit, became a monk in the college of missions for propagating the faith in Popayan, and died whilst preaching to the Andaquies Indians.
Of the Father Estevan de Rivas, who, after having filled the title of jurist with great credit, became a Franciscan monk, and died an exemplary penitent in his convent at Cartagena.
Of the Doctor Don Francisco Felipe del Campo, professor de prima of canons in the university of Santa Fe ; a celebrated orator.
Of the Doctor Don Geronirao de Rivas, treasurer and dignitary of the holy church of Popayan, provisor and ecclesiastical governor of that bishopric.
Of the Doctor Don Joseph de Renteria, assessor of the viceroyalties of Santa Fe and Lima, honorary oidor of the audience of Charcas : all of whom have borne testimony to the clearness and acuteness of their understandings and excellence of their dispositions. But for all the information on these subjects, we have to thank Don Manuel del Carapo, the son of the last mentioned, who resides in this court, and to whom the merits thus severally applied, unitedly belong.
The arms of this city are three imperial crowns with a sun, and its inhabitants amount to about 5000 or 6000 : 25 leagues n. e. of Popayan, in 4° 46' n. lat.
Cartago, another capital city, of the province of Costa Rica, in the kingdom of Guatemala, situate 10 leagues from the coast of the N. sea, and 17 from that of the S. in each of which it has a good port ; it was formerly rich and flourishing, on account of its commerce w ith Panama, Cartagena, Portobclo, and the Havanah ; but it is at the present day reduced to a miserable village of very few inhabitants, and without any commerce. It has, besides the parish church, a convent of monks of St. Francis, and is in 9° 42' s. lat.
Cartago, a river of the same province and government as is the former city : it runs w. and enters the S.sea, in the port of La Herradura.
Carteret, a cape or extremity of the coast of the same province, and one of those which form Long bay. See Roman.
CARUALLEDA, Nuestra Senora de, a city of the province and government of Venezuela, in the kingdom of Tierra Firme ; founded by Francis Faxardo in 1568, and not in 1560, as according to Coleti : it has a small but insecure port. The town is also a miserable place, having suffered much injury, a short time after its foundation, by the violent disturbances caused in its neighbourhood by the Governor Don Luis de Roxas : 80 leagues e. of Coro.