330

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Show Translation

350

CAR

tive of Barcelana, a celebrated engineeer; also re
nowned in the constructing of the land-gate or en
trance to Cadiz : he was promoted to this govern
ment for the purpose of inspecting and repairing
the towers which had been destroyed by Admiral
Vernon, which commission, after he had executed,
he returned to Spain in 1755, and died director
general of the body of engineers.

61. Don Fernando Morillo Velarde, knight of
the order of Alcantara, colonel of infantry, at that
time king’s lieutenant, when he received the go
vernment on account of the proprietor having gone
to fortify the town of Portobelo.

62. Don Diego Tabares, knight of the order of
Santiago, brigadier-general ; promoted to this go
vernment from that of Camana in 1755, and go
verned till 1761, when arrived his successor,

63. Don Joseph de Sobremonte, Marquis of this
name, a brigadier, who was captain of the regiment
of Spanish guards when he was nominated : he go
verned till 1770, when he died.

64. Don Gregorio de Sierra, also captain of gre
nadiers of the express regiment of Spanish guards ;
he entered Cartagena in 1771, and died in 1774.

65. Don Juan Pimienta, colonel of the regi
ment of the infantry of Zamora, in rank a briga
dier, and knight of the distinguished order of
Charles III. ; he entered into the possession of the
government in 1774, and died in 1781.

66. Don Roque de Quiroga, king’s lieutenant of
the fortified town, or Plaza ; promoted as provincial
governor through the death of his antecessor, un
til arrived, under the king’s appointment, the pro
prietor,

67. Don Joseph de Carrion y Andrade, a bri
gadier, who before had been governor of the
Plaza of Manilla, and had rendered himself re
nowned when it was besieged by the Emperor of
Marruecos, being nominated to this government in
1774 : he died in 1785.

Cartagena, a river of the province and go
vernment of Choco : it rises in the mountains of
this province nearthe settlement of Noanama, and
enters the sea imimediately at the cape of Corri
entes.

Cartagena, a plain of the province and cor
regimiento of Maule in the kingdom of Chile,
close to the port of San Antonio.

CARTAGO, a city of the province and go
vernment of Popayan, founded by the Brigadier
George Robledo in 1540, who gave it this name,
with the dedicatory title of San Juan, his patron;
the greater part of the military in it having come
from the city of Cartagena in Europe. It did lie
between the rivers Otun and Quindio; but the

CAR

continual invasions it has experienced from the
Pijaos and Pimaes Indians, who are a bold and
warlike people, determined its inhabitants to re
move it at the end of the I7th century to the spot
where it now stands ; having bought for that pur
pose some land of Tomasa Izquierdo, on the bank
of an arm of the river of La Vieja, which is a
large stream, and navigable for canoes and rafts,
and which is at the distance of rather better than
a quarter of a mile from the large river Cauca,
into which the above river enters, forming before
the city an island, which abounds in animals of the
chase, and in cattle, and having on its banks ex
cellent fishing. This city is of a dry and healthy
climate ; and although hot, the atmosphere is al
ways clear and serene. It is situate upon a level
and somewhat elevated plain , of beautiful appear
ance ; the streets are spacious, wide and straight.
It has a very large grand square. Its buildings
are solid and of good structure, and universally
roofed over with straw, having, however, the walls
of solid stone from the top to the bottom ; others
are built of brick, and others with rafters of wood,
the walls being of clay, (which they call imbulidoSy
or inlaid), so solid as to resist the force of the most
violent earthquakes, as was experienced in one
that happened in 1785. At a small distance from
the city are various lakes or pools of water, which
they call denegas, formed by nature, assisted by
art. It is the residence of the lieutenant-gover
nor of the government of Popayan, of two ordi
nary alcaldes, two of La Hermandad, two member*
of an inferior court, a recorder, a procurator-gene
ral, a major domo de propiosy and six regidors^
the cabildo enjoying the privilege of electing and
confirming these officers yearly. It has also a bat
talion of city militia, and two disciplined compa
nies ; also some royal cofiers, which were brought
from the city of Anserma. Besides the church of
Matriz, in which is venerated, as the patroness, the
Holy Virgin, under the image of Nuestra Senora
de la Paz, (this being the pious gift of Philip
III.) it has five parishes, viz. Santa Ana, Santa
Barbara, Llano de Buga, Naranjo, Micos, and
Pueblo de los Cerritos. The territory is extremely
fertile and pleasant, abounding as well in fruits
and pulse as in birds of various sorts ; and in no
part whatever are plantains so various, or of so
fine a quality. Tlie coffee is good, and the cacao,
which is of two sorts, is excellent, and is called
yellow and purple hayna. Of no less estimation
is the tobacco, with which a great traffic was
formerly carried on at Choco. The district of this
city abounds in trees, medicinal herbs and fruits,
and in an exquisite variety of cacao plants; also

Page Notes

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page