The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
C O A
it has a large proportion of families of Spaniards, Mustees^ and Mulalloes ; besides which, it contains 387 of Indians, and a convent of monks of St. Francis. Seven leagues to the n. n. w. of Mexico, although the distance is commonly counted at only six. Long. 274° 12'. Lat. 19° 50'.
COAUTLA, a province and alcaldia mayor oi Nueva España ; bounded s. by the corregimiento of Mexico. It is also called. Of Amilpas. Its jurisdiction extends 25 leagues ; it is of a warm and moist temperature, but is fertile, and abounds in wheat, maize, French beans, lentils, barley, and tares, as also in other productions, which serve as a commerce to its natives. Great quantities of sugar are also manufactured in various mills and machines for the purpose. This province is watered by two rivers, the one very large, called the Amazinaquc, which runs e. and the other, somewhat less, to the e . ; in both of them are caught many bagres and trout, which, being much esteemed in the neighbouring provinces, afford also another considerable branch of commerce. It has silver mines which produce tolerably well, and from one, which is vulgarly called La Peregrina, much riches were formerly extracted. The jurisdiction consists of the following settlements ;
The capital of the sarne Xamiltepec,
The capital forms three streets, of regular proportion and symmetry in the buildings, with two elegant edifices, one of the monks of St. Domingo,' and the other of the barefooted monks, or Descalzos, of St. Francis. It contains 36 families of Spaniards, 70 of 40 of Mulattoes, and 200
of Indians ; the part of the city inhabited by the latter is never visited by the Spaniards but as a walk, or place of recreation, and the Indians never attempt to encroach upon the part not appropriated to them. Twenty-five leagues 5. of Mexico. Long. 274° 10'. Lat. 19° 5'.
Same name, another settlement and real of the silver mines of this province, in which are two sugar mills, and some engines for grinding metal. It contains 56 families of Spaniards, Mustees, and Mulattoes, and lies 12 leagues to the s. w. of its capital.
[COBBESECONTE, or Copsecook, which in the Indian language signifies the land where sturgeons are taken, is a small river which rises from ponds in the town of Winthorp, in the district of Maine, and falls into the Kennebeck within three miles of Nahunkeag island, and 15 from Moose island.]
[Cobequit or Colchester River, in Nova Scotia, rises within 20 miles of Tatamogouche, on the n. e. coast of Nova Scotia ; from thence it runs s. ; then s. w. and w. info the e. end of the basin of Minas. At its mouth there is a short bank, but there is a good channel on each side, which vessels of 60 tons burden may pass, and go 40 miles .up the river. There are some scattered settlements on its banks.]
[COBESEY, in the district of Maine. See
[COBHAM, a small town in Virginia, on the s. bank of James river, opposite James town ; 20 miles n. w. of Suffolk, and eight or nine 5. w. of Williamsburg.]
[Cobh AM Isle, mentioned by Captain Middleton, in the journal of his voyage for finding a 71, e. passage. Its two extremities bear n. by e. and e. by n. in lat. 63° «. long. 3° 50' from Churchill, which he takes to be the Brook Cobham of Fox.]
COBIJA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Atacama in Peru, and archbishopric of Charcas; annexed to the curacy of Chinchin. It is founded on the sea-shore, has a good port, where the inhabitants are busied in the fishing for congers ; and these being called charqnecillos, or salted, are carried in abundance for sale to the neighbouring provinces, to the sierra, and other parts. In lat. 23° 20' s. according to Don Cosme Bueno ; and according to the ex-jesuit Coleti, in lat. 22° 25' s.
[COBEZA. See Cobija. This obscure port and village is inhabited by about 50 Indian families, and is the most barren spot on the coast. This is, however, the nearest port to Lipei^ where there are silver mines, and also to Potosi, 2
3. Don Fray Geronimo de Corella, of the order of St. Jerome, native of Valencia, descended from tlic Connls of Cocentayna ; prior of the convent of his country, and afterwards of tliat of Nuestra Sehora del Prado, when he was elected bishop of this diocese in J562.
4. Don Fray Alonso de la Cerda, of the order of preachers ; promoted to the archbishopric of Charcas in 1577.
5. Don Fray Caspar de Andrada, a Franciscan monk, and native of Toledo ; collegian of the college of San Pedro and San Pablo of Alcala de Henares, guardian of the convents of S. Juan dc los Reyes in Toledo and in Madrid, visitor of the provinces of Arragon, a celebrated preacher, and elected to this bishopric in 1588 ; he governed 24 years, and died in 1612.
6. Don Fray Alonso Galdo, a monk of the order of St. Dominic, native of Valladolid, presented in 1612; he visited its bishopric, was of exemplary conduct, and being full of years and infirmities, he requested that a coadjutor might be nominated in 1628 ; and this was,
7. Xion Fray Luis de Canizares, a religious minim of St. Francis of Paula, native of Madrid ; he was lecturer in his convent, and in that of Alcala, calificador and consultor of the inquisition in Valladolid ; nominated through the nuncio of of his holiness; was visitor of the province of Andalucia, bishop of Nueva Carceres in Philippines, and promoted to this see, where he died, in 1645.
8. Don Juan Merlo de la Fuente, doctoral c^Lnon of the church of the Puebla de los Angeles, elected bishop of Nuevo Segovia in the Philippines, which oflBce he did not accept, and was bishop here in 1648.
9. Don Pedro de los Reyes Rios of Madrid, native of Seville, monk of the order of San Benito, master, preacher in general, theological doctor, and poser to the cathedrals of the university of Oviedo, difinidor and abbot of the monasteries of San Isidro de Dueilas, San Claudio de liCon, and San Benito de Sevilla, preacher to Charles II. elected bishop of this church, and before he went over to it, promoted to that of Yucatan in 1700.
10. Don Fray Juan Perez Carpintero; elected in the same year, 1700.
11. Don Fray Angel Mnldonado, native of Ocaila, monk of San Bernardo, doctor and professor of theology in the university of Alcala ; he wrote in defence of the right of Philip V. to the crown of Spain ; presented to the bishopric of Honduras, and after taking possession, promoted to the church of Antequara in 1702.
12. Don Fray Antonio Guadalupe Lopez Por-
tillo, native of Guadalaxara in Nueva Espaha, of the order of St. Francis, a man of great learning and virtue, domestic prelate of his holiness Benedict NHL; presented to the bishopric of Comayagua in 1725 ; he died in 1742.
13. Don Flay Francisco Molina, of the order of St. Basil, master of theology, abbot of the monastery of Cuellar, thrice of that of Madrid, and twice difinidor general of Castille ; elected in 1743.
14. Don Diego Rodriguez Rivas de Velasco, native of Riobamba in the kingdom of Quito, doctor of both laws in the university of Alcala, collegian of the college of Los Verdes, titular archdeacon of the holy church of Guatemala; electetl bishop in 1750, and promoted to the bishopric of Guadalaxara in 1762.
15. Don Miguel Anselmo Alvarez de Abreu, native of Teneriffe, secretary of the bishop, of Segovia, and canon in the church of Canarias, judge of the apostolical chamber, and of the tribunal of the holy crusade, auxiliary bishop of the Puebla dc los Angeles, presented to this in 1762, and promoted to that of Antequera in 1767.
16. Don Isidore Rodriguez ; he died in 1767.
17. Don Antonio de Macarulla, elected in 1767, and promoted to that of Durango in 1773.
18. Don Francisco Joseph de Palencia, elected, in 1773.
19. Don Fray Antonio de San Miguel, in 1776, until 1783.
20. Don Joseph Antonio de Isabella, in 1783.
(COMBAHEE Ferry, on the above river, is 17 miles from Jacksonsborough, 15 from Pocotaglio, and 52 from Charlestown.
COMBAPATA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Tinta in Peru ; situate upon an eminence near the royal road which leads from La Plata to Lima. Its natives say that it has the best and most healthy temperature of any in the kingdom, and they mention some persons who have lived here to the age of 140 years.
COMBEIMA, a large river of the province
York, wliicli falls into a bay at the s. side of the island. It lies two miles to tlies. of Rockonkama pond.)
CONNESTIGUCUNE, an establisliment of tlie English, in the county of Albany, inthew. part and to the e. of Chenectady, or of (he river Mohawk, where it gives a fall from above 70 feet in lieiglit. See Arm any.
CONNETABLE, anotlier small island of tire same province, witli the addition of Petite, to distinguish it from the former.
CONOCOTO, a settlement of the kingdom of Quito, in the corregimimto of the district of the Cinco Leguasde la Ciudad, in the district of which is a rising ground called A Halo, and upon the skirts of this are many warm-water mineral streams, much frequented as baths for the curing of infirmities.
CONOMA, a lake of the province and country of the Amazonas, in the Portuguese possessions. It is formed from some waste water of the river Madera, very near its shore, and at a small distance from the river of Las Amazonas.
CONSOLACION, Nuestra Senora de, asettlement of the government of Neiba in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada ; annexed to the curacy of the town of La Purificacion. It is situate on the shore of the river Pardo, is of a hot temperature, abounding in the vegetable productions of a similar
climate, and in troublesome and venomous insects. It contains more than 200 house-keepers.
CONSOLACION, a point or long strip of land called Possession, on the n. coast of the straits of Magellan ; one of those which form Possession bay, and where are to be seen the ruins of the fort named Jesus, which was founded by the Admiral Pedro de Sarin iento.
CONSTANTINO Perez, an island of the river Valdivia, in tlie kingdom of Chile, opposite the same city, with two other small islands, the one before, the other behind it, and which, together, form the celebrated port of this name. The passage on both sides is navigable, but the channel on the s. side being the most wide, is the course uniformly taken by large ships and vessels, and in the same manner the n. channel is mostly, as it is narrower, entered by frigates and small craft.
rises in the hi<>'h lands of the Cfierokecs country, and joining Tallapoose, forms Alabama river. Its course is generally s. running through the conntry of the Natchez, and other tribes of the Upper Creeks, the roughest and most broken of the whole nation. It is rapid, and full of rocks and shoals, hardly navigable for canoes.)
(COOSAWATCHIE, or Coosahatchie, a post-town in Beaufort district, S. Carolina; situated on the s. w. side of Coosa river, over which a bridge has been lately erected. It is a flourishing place, having about 40 houses, a court-house, and gaol. The courts formerly held at Beaufort are held here. It is 33 miles from Beaufort, and 77 ze. ». w. of Charleslon.)
(COOTSTOWN, in Berks county, Pennsylvania, is situated on a branch of Sauhoca creek, a branch of the Schuylkill river. It contains 40 houses, and a German, Lutheran, and Calvinist church united. It is 17 miles n. n. e. of Reading, and 73 n. w. by n. of Philadelphia.)
Copa, a large and copious river of the kingdom of Quito, which runs n. e. enters the Cipre to the n. and the Quinindi to the s. ; then joins the Blanco on the w. side, a little before this unites itself with the Guaillabamba, and forms the Esmeraldas. Its mouth or entrance is in lat. 2Q' n.
COPACAUANA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Omasuyos in Peru ; situate on a loner strip of land which runs into the great lake of Titicaca or Chucuito. Here is venerated an image of Nuestra Senora de la Candelaria, which, in 1583, was put into a temple, very sumptuous, and of fine architecture, riches, and ornaments. The same is a sanctuary of the greatest devotion, and most resorted to of any in Peru.
COPACAUANA, another, of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of the Jesuits, in the province of Gayrá, and government of Paraguay ; situate on the shore of a small river which enters the Parana, and on the skirt of a mountain to the s. e. of the city of Gayra, which was destroyed by the Portuguese of San Pablo,
COPACAUANA, a point or long strip of land of lake Titicaca, which serves as a limit to the
province of Umamarca, in the province of Umasuyos.
COPALA, a province of the alcaldia mayor of Nueva España ; bounded n. w. by that of Chiametla or Chametlan. It is a mountainous country, abounding in wax, honey, and some sugarcane, from which sugar is made in various mills. Its population of Indians is but small, and these fot the most part occupy themselves in fishing ; an employment which is readily afforded them by the copious river Mazatan. It is of a very hot temperature, and has many silver mines, which are worked to tolerable advantage. Some salines also on the sea-shore are not less lucrative ; and here there is a small port. This province has been frequently invaded by enemies. Near the river Piastla, which also waters this province, the regulars of the company of Jesuits held some missions, where there had been formed three settlements of Indians, reduced to the Catholic faith. The capital is the town called Del Rosario, and the other settlements are,
Mazatan, Charcas, the same,
Copala, real of the Cosela, the same, mines, San Xavier de Cavasan.
Copala, with the dedicatory title of San Juan, a settlement and head settlement of the alcaldia mayor of Tepozcolula in Nueva Espana. It is of a hot temperature, pleasant, and abounding , in fruits. It contains 104 families of Indians, and is 15 leagues w. by s. of its capital.
Copala, another settlement in the head settlement of Tuzcacuesco, and alcaldia mayor of Amola, in the same kingdom. It contains 32 families of Indians, and is five leagues to the n. of its head settlement.
Copala, another settlement and real of the silver mines of the province and alcaldia mayor of its name ; situate to tlie n. of the capital.
COPALLEN, an ancient province of the Indians, to the s. of the city of Jaen de Bracamoros in the kingdom of Quito. As yet its limits are not known ; but it is full of woods, uncultivated, and uninhabited.
C U M
bounded ??. and 71 . w. by Mifiiin ; e. and n.e. by Susqiiehaiinah river, which divides it from Dauphin ; i-. by York, and s.w. by Franklin county. It is 47 miles in length, and 42 in breadth, and has 10 townships, of which Carlisle is the chief. The county is generally mountainous; lies between^ North and Soutli mountain ; on each side of Conedogwinet creek, there is an extensive, rich, and well cultivated valley. It contains 18,243 inhabitants, of whom 223 are slaves.]
[Cumberland, a post-town and the chief township of Alleghany county, Maryland, lies on the «. bank of a great bend of Potowmack river, and on both sides of the mouth of Will’s creek. It is 148 miles w. by n. of Baltimore, 109 measured miles above Georgetown, and about 105 ». w. of Washington City. Fort Cumberland stood formerly at the w. side of the mouth of Will’s creek.]
[Cumberland County, in Virginia, on the «, side of Appamatox river, which divides it from Prince Edward. It contains 8153 inhabitants, of whom 4434 are slaves. The court-house is 28 miles from Pawhatan court-house, and 52 from Richmond.]
[Cumberland Mountain occupies a part of the uninhabited country of the state of Tennessee, between the districts of Washington and Hamilton and Mero district, and between the two first named districts and the state of Kentucky. The ridge is about SO miles broad, and extends from Crow creek, on Tennessee river, from s. w. ion. e. The place where the Tennessee breaks through the Great ridge, called the Whirl or Suck, is 250 miles above the Muscle shoals. Limestone is found on both sides the mountain. The mountain consists of the most stupendous piles of craggy rocks of any mountain in the w. country ; in several parts of it, it is inaccessible for miles, even to the Indians on foot. In one place particularly, near the summit of the mountain, there is a most remarkable ledge of rocks, of about SO miles in length, and 200 feet thick, shewing a perpendicular face to the s. e. more noble and grand than any artificial fortification in the known world, and apparently equal in point of regularity.]
[Cumberland River, called by the Indians “ Shawanee,” and by the French “ Shavanon,” falls into the Ohio 10 miles above the mouth of Tennessee river, and about 24 miles due e. from fort Massac, and 1113 below Pittsburg. It is navigable for large vessels to Nashville in Tennessee, and from thence to the mouth of Obed’s or Obas river. The Caney-fork, Harpeth, Stones, Red, and Obed’s, are its chief branches ; some of them are navigable to a great distance. The Cumberland mountains in Virginia separate the head waters of this river from those of Clinch river ; it runs s. w. till it comes near the s. line of Kentucky, when its course is w. in general, through Lincoln county, receiving many streams from each side ; thence it flows s. w. into the state of Tennessee, where it takes a winding course, inclosing Sumner, Davidson, and Tennessee counties ; afterwards it takes a n. w. direction, and reenters the state of Kentucky ; and from thence it preserves nearly an uniform distance from Tennessee river to its mouth, where it is 300 yards wide. It is 200 yards broad at Nashville, and its whole length is computed to be above 450 miles.]
CUMBINAMA. See Loyola.
[CUMMASHAWAS, or Cummasuawaa, a sound and village on the e. side of Washington island, on the n. w. coast of N. America. The port is capacious and safe. In this port Captain Ingraham remained some time, and he observes, in his journal, that here, in direct opposition to most other parts of the world, the women maintained a precedency to the men in every point ; insomuch that a man dares not trade without the concurrence of his wife, and that he has often been witness to men’s being abused for parting with skins before their approbation was obtained ; and this precedency often occasioned much disturbance.
CUMPAYO, a settlement of the province of