459

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Here you can see all page revisions and compare the changes have been made in each revision. Left column shows the page title and transcription in the selected revision, right column shows what have been changed. Unchanged text is highlighted in white, deleted text is highlighted in red, and inserted text is highlighted in green color.

4 revisions
LLILAS Benson at Oct 16, 2018 10:28 AM

459

C H R

C H R

459

wliich there is a bank of fine sand, extending a
mile into the sea, and affording good anchorage.
Lat. 1° 59' n. Long. 157° 35' w.]

[Christmas Sound, in Tien a del Fuego, S.
America. Lat. 55° 21' n. Long. 69° 48' tw.]

CHRISTOVAL, San, a
town of the government and jurisdiction of [Maracaibo]]
in the Nuevo Rey no de Granada; founded
by Captain Juan de Maldonado in 1560. It is of
•a hot but healthy temperature, produces abundance
of sugar-canes, of which are made honey, sugar,
and conserves, in immense quantities ; also a great
proportion of smoking tobacco, which is carried to
Maracaibo. It has a good church and a convent
t)f St. Augustin, which latter has fallen much to
decay with regard to its establishment. The po
pulation of the town consists of 400 housekeepers.
It lies 20 leagues n. e. of Pamplona, from the juris
diction of which it is divided by the river Pam
plonilla. It is the native place of Don Gregorio
de Jaimes, archdeacon of Santa Fe, and bishop of
Santa Marta.

Same name, a settlement of the province
and corregimiento of Lipes, archbishopric of Char
cas in Peru ; in which took place the following ex
traordinary occurrence: The curate of this place
going to confess a sick person in the settlement of
Tahisa of the province of Paria, which was annexed
to this, sunk into a spring of water in the pampas
or llanos dela Sal, when he was drowned, and with
the two Indians who accompanied him on horse
back, never more appeared, nor were any vestiges
ever found of them : this was the reason why the
latter settlement has since been disunited from the
curacy of San Christoval.

Same name, a capital city of the province
and captainship of Sergipé in the kingdom of Bra
zil ; being also known by that name. It is founded
on the sea-shore, and has a fine and well defended
port. It has a magnificent parish church with the
title of Nuestra Senora de la Victoria ; two fine
convents, the one of the order of the Franciscans,
and the other of the Carmelites ; also a chapel of
devotion of the Virgin of the Rosary. The council
house is a very fine edifice, and in the suburbs is
a hermitage of San Gonzalo, which is frequented
as a pilgrimage by this and other settlements of the
jurisdiction. In this city resides the chief captain,
who governs this province, and who is attended by
a company of troops as a body-guard. In early
times it was filled with nobility, descended from the
first families in Portugal; but it is now reduced to
600 housekeepers. in its district, towards the
part called Coninquiva, is a parish with four
chapels, and towards the river Vaza-Barris five
others. It has also 25 engines, by which abundance
of sugar of an excellent quality is manufactured ;
this article affords a great commerce w ith t!ic bay
of Todos Santos. Lat. ll°40's. Long. ST'* SO' tw.

Same name, an island of the N. sea ; one
of the Antilles, discoverctl by Admiral Christoj)her
Columbus, who gave it his name, in 149S. It is
five leagues in circumference, and is very fertile,
and abounding in productions, particularly in cot
ton, tobacco, indigo, sugar, and brandy ; by all
of which it carries on a great commerce. Here arc
some good salines, and in the mountains are some
woods of fine timber, well adapted for the building
of ships. The English and the French both esta
blished themselves here in 1625, holding a divided
possession, when they were driven out by the Spa
niards. After this the former again returned and
re-established themselves in the greatest part of the
island, leaving, however, a small share to the
French, until the year 1713, when the latter, in
conjunction with the Spaniards themselves, ceded
it entirely to the English, who from that time have
held it and kept it well fortified. [St. Christopher,
situate in lat. 17° 21', long. 62° 48' ze. was called
by its ancient possessors, the Charibes, Liamuiga,
or the Fertile Island. It was discovered in Novem
ber 1493 by Columbus himself, who was so pleased
with its appearance, that he honoured it with his
own Christian name. But it was neither planted
nor possessed by the Spaniards. It was, however,
(notwithstanding that the general opinion ascribes
the honour of seniority to Barbadoes), the eldest of
all the British territories in the \V. Indies, and
in truth, the common mother both of the English
and French settlements in the Charibean islands.
A Mr. Thomas Warner, an Englishman, asso
ciated himself Avith 14 other persons in the year

1622, and with them took his passage on board a
ship bound to Virginia. From thence he and his
companions sailed from St. Christopher’s, where
they arrived in January 1623, and by the month
of September following had raised a good crop of
tobacco, which they proposed to make their staple
commodity. By the generality of historians who
have treated of the affairs of the W. Indies, it is
asserted that a party oflhe French, under the com
mand of a person of the name of D’Esnambuc,
took possession of one part of this island, on the
same day that Mr. Warner landed on the other;
but the truth is, that the first landing of Warner
and his associates happened two years before the
arrival of D’Esnambuc; who, it is admitted by
Du Tertre, did not leave France until IG25. Un
fortunately the English settlers, in the latter end of

1623, had their plantations demolished by a dread- j

3 N 2


Translation

SAN CHRISTOVAL, Villa del Gobierno y jurisdicción de Maracaibo en el Nuevo Reyno de Granada, fundada por el Capitán Juan de Maldonado el año de 1560: es de temperamento cálido pero muy sano, produce con abundancia caña dulce de que hacen mucha miel, azúcar y conservas, gran cantidad de cacao y tabaco de humo que conducen a Maracaibo, tiene una buena Iglesia, y otro Convento de San Agustín que es muy reducido: su vecindario llegará a 400 vecinos: dista 20 leguas al NE de Pamplona, de cuya jurisdicción la divide el río Pamplónica: es patria de Don Gregorio de Jaimes, Arcediano de Santa Fe y Obispo de Santa Marta.

Tiene el mismo nombre un Pueblo de la Provincia y Corregimiento de Lipes, Arzobispado de Charcas en el Perú, en que sucedió el extraño caso de que yendo el Cura a confesar un enfermo al Pueblo de Tahisá de la Provincia de Paría, que era su anexo, se sumergió en un ojo de agua en las Pampas o Llanos de la Sal, con dos Indios que lo acompañaban y sus caballerías, sin quedar vestigio alguno, por cuyo motivo se separó este Pueblo del Curato del otro.
Tiene el mismo nombre, Una Ciudad Capital de la Provincia y Capitanía de Sergipé en el Reyno del Brasil, con cuyo nombre también se la conoce fundada en la Costa del mar, con un hermoso Puerto bien defendido: tiene una magnifica Iglesia Parroquial del título de nuestra Señora de la Victoria: dos hermosos Conventos, el uno de Religiosos Franciscos, y el otro de Carmelitas, una devota Capilla de la Virgen del Rosario: la Casa del Consejo es un edificio de los mas hermosos, y en su arrabal una Ermita de San Gonzalo, que es frecuentada romería del Pueblo y demás poblaciones de la jurisdicción: reside en esta Ciudad el Capitán Mayor que gobierna la Provincia, con una Compañía de tropa para su guarnición: tuvo en sus principios mucha nobleza, descendiente de las primeras familias de Portugal, que hoy está reducida a 500 vecinos: en su distrito hacia la parte que llaman Coninquiva tiene una Parroquia con 4 Capillas, y hacia el río VazaBarris otras 5, y 25 ingenios en que fabrican mucha azúcar de excelente calidad, de que mantiene un gran comercio con la Bahía de todos los Santos.

Tiene el mismo nombre Una Isla de la mar del N una de las Antilles, descubierta por el Almirante Christoval Colon, que le dio su nombre el año de 1493 tiene 25 leguas decircuito, y es muy fértil y abundante en frutos, con particularidad de algodón, tabaco, añil, azúcar y aguardiente, de cuyos frutos mantiene un gran comercio: Hay en ella unas buenas salinas, y en sus montes excelentes maderas para construir embarcaciones: los Ingleses y Franceses se establecieron en ella poseyéndola por mitad el año de 1625 ? P ero fueron echados por los Españoles: luego volvieron a ocuparla los primeros, estableciéndose en la mayor parte, dexando alguna aunque muy poca a los Franceses, hasta el año de 171 3 que éstos y los Españoles la cedieron enteramente a los Ingleses, que desde entonces la poseen y tienen bien fortificada: la Capital tiene el mismo nombre: está 45 leguas al S li de la de Santo Tomas: long. 315 lat. 17...30.
Un Pueblo de la Cabecera de partido y Alcaldía mayor de Toluca en Nueva España: tiene 64 familias de Indios, y está poco distante al N de su Capital.
Otro de la Cabecera y Alcaldía mayor de Zacatlán en el mismo Reyno, distante 2 leguas de su Capital.
Otro de la Cabecera y Alcaldía mayor de Tetela Xonotla en el mismo Reyno, distante de aquella 2 leguas al O.
Otro de la Provincia y Corregimiento de Angaraes en el Perú, anexo al Curato de San Antonio, situado a la otra parte del rio.
Otro de la Provincia y Corregimiento de Conchucos en el mismo Reyno, anexo al Curato de SanMárcos.
Otro de la Provincia y Corregimiento de Lucanas en el mismo Reyno, anexo al Curato de su Capital.
Otro de la Cabecera de Pinotepa y Alcaldía mayor de Xicayán en Nueva España ; tiene 24 familias de Indios y está 7 leguas al N de su Cabecera.
Otro de la Cabecera y Alcaldía mayor de Cuquio en el mismo Reyno, situado en la inmediación de la junta de los rios Mesquital y Grande: es de crecido vecindario, y está 15 leguas al O de su Capital y 10 al NO de la de la Provincia de Guadalaxara.
Otro de la Cabecera de Axixique y Alcaldía mayor de Zayuia en el mismo Reyno, situado a la orilla de la gran laguna o mar de Chápala: tiene 70 familias de Indios que se exercitan en la pesca y labor de las tierras: está 13 leguas al S de su Cabecera.
Otro de la Provincia y Pais de las Amazonas en la parte que poseen los Portugueses, situado a orilla del río Marañon en la boca por donde entra el de Ovaripana.
Otro de la Provincia y Gobierno de Cartagena en el partido del Sinu, situado a orilla del arroyo Pichelin, en la división de esta jurisdicción y la de Tolu: es uno de los que fundó el año de 1776 el Gobernador Don Juan Pimienta.
Otro del Reyno del Brasil, situado a orilla de un río que entra en el de Yguan al S del Pueblo de Jesus María.
Otro de la Provincia y Capitanía de Sergipé en el mismo Reyno, situado en la Costa del mar entre el río Sirugipá y el de Vazabaris.
Otro de la Provincia y Reyno de Nueva Galicia, situado cerca de su Capital.
Otro de las Misiones que tenían los Regulares de la Compañía en la Provincia de Tepeguana y Reyno del Nueva Vizcaya.
Otro del Nuevo México, situado a orilla del río grande del N donde le entra el de Conchos.
Una Bahía en la Costa de la Provincia de California a la parte opuesta de la Costa de Nueva España.
Una Isleta de la mar de N en lo interior de la Bahía y Puerto del Cuí de Sac grand de la Isla Guadalupe.

SAN CHRISTIANO Pueblo de la Provincia y Capitanía de Sergipé en el Brasil, situado en la Costa y a la boca del río Cirii.

459

C H R

C H R

459

wliich there is a bank of fine sand, extending a
mile into the sea, and affording good anchorage.
Lat. 1° 59' n. Long. 157° 35' w.]

[Christmas Sound, in Tien a del Fuego, S.
America. Lat. 55° 21' n. Long. 69° 48' tw.]

CHRISTOVAL, San, a
town of the government and jurisdiction of [Maracaibo]]
in the Nuevo Rey no de Granada; founded
by Captain Juan de Maldonado in 1560. It is of
•a hot but healthy temperature, produces abundance
of sugar-canes, of which are made honey, sugar,
and conserves, in immense quantities ; also a great
proportion of smoking tobacco, which is carried to
Maracaibo. It has a good church and a convent
t)f St. Augustin, which latter has fallen much to
decay with regard to its establishment. The po
pulation of the town consists of 400 housekeepers.
It lies 20 leagues n. e. of Pamplona, from the juris
diction of which it is divided by the river Pam
plonilla. It is the native place of Don Gregorio
de Jaimes, archdeacon of Santa Fe, and bishop of
Santa Marta.

Same name, a settlement of the province
and corregimiento of Lipes, archbishopric of Char
cas in Peru ; in which took place the following ex
traordinary occurrence: The curate of this place
going to confess a sick person in the settlement of
Tahisa of the province of Paria, which was annexed
to this, sunk into a spring of water in the pampas
or llanos dela Sal, when he was drowned, and with
the two Indians who accompanied him on horse
back, never more appeared, nor were any vestiges
ever found of them : this was the reason why the
latter settlement has since been disunited from the
curacy of San Christoval.

Same name, a capital city of the province
and captainship of Sergipé in the kingdom of Bra
zil ; being also known by that name. It is founded
on the sea-shore, and has a fine and well defended
port. It has a magnificent parish church with the
title of Nuestra Senora de la Victoria ; two fine
convents, the one of the order of the Franciscans,
and the other of the Carmelites ; also a chapel of
devotion of the Virgin of the Rosary. The council
house is a very fine edifice, and in the suburbs is
a hermitage of San Gonzalo, which is frequented
as a pilgrimage by this and other settlements of the
jurisdiction. In this city resides the chief captain,
who governs this province, and who is attended by
a company of troops as a body-guard. In early
times it was filled with nobility, descended from the
first families in Portugal; but it is now reduced to
600 housekeepers. in its district, towards the
part called Coninquiva, is a parish with four
chapels, and towards the river Vaza-Barris five
others. It has also 25 engines, by which abundance
of sugar of an excellent quality is manufactured ;
this article affords a great commerce w ith t!ic bay
of Todos Santos. Lat. ll°40's. Long. ST'* SO' tw.

Same name, an island of the N. sea ; one
of the Antilles, discoverctl by Admiral Christoj)her
Columbus, who gave it his name, in 149S. It is
five leagues in circumference, and is very fertile,
and abounding in productions, particularly in cot
ton, tobacco, indigo, sugar, and brandy ; by all
of which it carries on a great commerce. Here arc
some good salines, and in the mountains are some
woods of fine timber, well adapted for the building
of ships. The English and the French both esta
blished themselves here in 1625, holding a divided
possession, when they were driven out by the Spa
niards. After this the former again returned and
re-established themselves in the greatest part of the
island, leaving, however, a small share to the
French, until the year 1713, when the latter, in
conjunction with the Spaniards themselves, ceded
it entirely to the English, who from that time have
held it and kept it well fortified. [St. Christopher,
situate in lat. 17° 21', long. 62° 48' ze. was called
by its ancient possessors, the Charibes, Liamuiga,
or the Fertile Island. It was discovered in Novem
ber 1493 by Columbus himself, who was so pleased
with its appearance, that he honoured it with his
own Christian name. But it was neither planted
nor possessed by the Spaniards. It was, however,
(notwithstanding that the general opinion ascribes
the honour of seniority to Barbadoes), the eldest of
all the British territories in the \V. Indies, and
in truth, the common mother both of the English
and French settlements in the Charibean islands.
A Mr. Thomas Warner, an Englishman, asso
ciated himself Avith 14 other persons in the year

1622, and with them took his passage on board a
ship bound to Virginia. From thence he and his
companions sailed from St. Christopher’s, where
they arrived in January 1623, and by the month
of September following had raised a good crop of
tobacco, which they proposed to make their staple
commodity. By the generality of historians who
have treated of the affairs of the W. Indies, it is
asserted that a party oflhe French, under the com
mand of a person of the name of D’Esnambuc,
took possession of one part of this island, on the
same day that Mr. Warner landed on the other;
but the truth is, that the first landing of Warner
and his associates happened two years before the
arrival of D’Esnambuc; who, it is admitted by
Du Tertre, did not leave France until IG25. Un
fortunately the English settlers, in the latter end of

1623, had their plantations demolished by a dread- j

3 N 2


Translation