530

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Here you can see all page revisions and compare the changes have been made in each revision. Left column shows the page title and transcription in the selected revision, right column shows what have been changed. Unchanged text is highlighted in white, deleted text is highlighted in red, and inserted text is highlighted in green color.

4 revisions
kmr3934 at Oct 08, 2018 05:00 PM

530

530

C R A

C R A

Oaxaca. It contains only 20 families of Indians,
wbo live by the cultivation of the cochineal plant
and seeds.

COZCATLAN, a settlement and head settle
ment of the alcaldia mayor of Tasco in Nueva
Espana. It contains 200 families of Indians, and
is five leagues c. of its capital.

COZEL, a settlement of the jurisdiction and
aknld'ia mayor of Culiacan in Nueva Espaila.

COZINAS, a bay of the coast of the province
and government of Yucatán.

COZINERA, a shoal of rocks on the coast of
the S. sea, of the province and government of
Tierra Firme, very near the point of Paytilla, in
the bay of Panama.

COZOCOZONQUE, a settlement of the head
settlement of Puxmecatan, and alcaldia mayor of
ViUalta, in Nueva Espana. It is of a hot tem
perature, contains 85 families of Indians, and is
29 leagues to the e. of its capital.

COZTLA, San Miguel de, a settlement of
the head settlement of Coronango, and alcaldia
mayor of Cholula, in Nueva Espana. It contains
48 families of Indians, and is two leagues to the n.
of the capital.

COZUMEL, an island of the N. sea, opposite
the e. coast of Yucatan, to the province and go
vernment of which it belongs. It is 10 leagues
long n. w.f s. w. and from four to five wide. It is
fertile, and abounds in fruit and cattle, and is
covered with shady trees. The Indians call it Cu
zamel, which in their language signifies the island
of swallows. Here was the most renowned sanc
tuary of any belonging to the Indians in this pro
vince, and a noted pilgrimage, and the remains of
some causeways over which the pilgrims used to
pass. It was discovered by the Captain Juan de
Grijalba in 1518, and the Spaniards gave it the
name of Santa Cruz, from a cross that was de
posited in it by Hernan Cortes, when he demolished
the idols, and when at the same time the first mass
ever said in this kingdom of Nueva Espana, was
celebrated by the Fray Bartolome de Olrnedo, of
the order of La Merced, At present it is inhabited
by Indians only. It is three leagues distant from
the coast of Tierra Firme.

(CRAB-ORCHARD, a post-town on Dick’s
river, in Kentucky, eight miles from Cumberland
river, and 25 miles s. e. of Danville. The road
to Virginia passes through this place.)

CRABS, or Boriquen, an island of the N. sea ;
situate on the s. side of the island of St. Domingo,
first called so by the Bucaniers, from the abundance
of crabs found upon its coast. It is large and
beautiful, and its mountains and plains arc covered

with trees. The English established themselves
here in 1718, but they were attacked and driven
out by the Spaniards of St. Domingo in 17^0, who
could not suffer a colony of strangers to settle so
near them. The women and children were, how
ever, taken prisoners, and carried to the capital and
Portobelo. See Boriquen.

CRAMBERRI, a small river of the province
and colony of N. Carolina. It runs s. and enters
the source of the Conhaway.

CRAMBROOK, a river of the province and
colony of Pennsylvania in N. America.

(CRANBERRY, a thriving town in Middlesex
county. New Jersey, nine miles e. of Princeton,
and 16 s. s. w. of Brunswick. It contains a hand
some Presbyterian church, and a variety of manu
factures are carried on by its industrious in
habitants. The stage from New York to Phila
delphia passes through Amboy, this town, and
thence to Bordentown.)

(Cranberry Islands, on the coast of the dis
trict of Maine. See Mount Desert Island.)

(CRANEY, a small island on the s. side of
James river, in Virginia, at the mouth of Eliza
beth river, and five miles 5. w. of fort George, on
point Comfort. It commands the entrance of both
rivers.)

(CRANSTON is the s. easternmost township
of Providence county, Rhode Island, situated on
the w. bank of Providence river, five miles s. of
the town of Providence. The corajiact part of the
town contains 50 or 60 houses, a Baptist meeting
house, handsome school-house, a distillery, and a
number of saw and grist mills^and is called Paw
tuxet, from the river, on both sides of whose mouth
it stands, and over which is a bridge connecting
the two parts of the town. It makes a pretty ap
pearance as you pass it on the river. The whole
township contains 1877 inhabitants.)

CRAVEN, a county of the province and colony
of Carolina in N. America, situate on the shore of
the river Congaree, which divides the province
into South and North. It is filled with English and
F'rench protestants. The latter of these disem
barked here to establish themselves in 1706, but
were routed, and the greater part put to death by
the hands of the former. The river Sewee waters
this county, and its first establishment was owing
to some families wlio had come hither from New
England. It has no large city nor any considerable
town, but has two forts upon the river Saute, the
one called Sheuinirigh fort, which is 45 miles from
tlie entrance or mouth of the river, and the other
called Congaree, 65 miles from the other. [It con
tains 10,469 inhabitants, of whom S658are slaves.}


Translation

530

530

C R A

C R A

Oaxaca. It contains only 20 families of Indians,
wbo live by the cultivation of the cochineal plant
and seeds.

COZCATLAN, a settlement and head settle
ment of the alcaldia mayor of Tasco in Nueva
Espana. It contains 200 families of Indians, and
is five leagues c. of its capital.

COZEL, a settlement of the jurisdiction and
aknld'ia mayor of Culiacan in Nueva Espaila.

COZINAS, a bay of the coast of the province
and government of Yucatán.

COZINERA, a shoal of rocks on the coast of
the S. sea, of the province and government of
Tierra Firme, very near the point of Paytilla, in
the bay of Panama.

COZOCOZONQUE, a settlement of the head
settlement of Puxmecatan, and alcaldia mayor of
ViUalta, in Nueva Espana. It is of a hot tem
perature, contains 85 families of Indians, and is
29 leagues to the e. of its capital.

COZTLA, San Miguel de, a settlement of
the head settlement of Coronango, and alcaldia
mayor of Cholula, in Nueva Espana. It contains
48 families of Indians, and is two leagues to the n.
of the capital.

COZUMEL, an island of the N. sea, opposite
the e. coast of Yucatan, to the province and go
vernment of which it belongs. It is 10 leagues
long n. w.f s. w. and from four to five wide. It is
fertile, and abounds in fruit and cattle, and is
covered with shady trees. The Indians call it Cu
zamel, which in their language signifies the island
of swallows. Here was the most renowned sanc
tuary of any belonging to the Indians in this pro
vince, and a noted pilgrimage, and the remains of
some causeways over which the pilgrims used to
pass. It was discovered by the Captain Juan de
Grijalba in 1518, and the Spaniards gave it the
name of Santa Cruz, from a cross that was de
posited in it by Hernan Cortes, when he demolished
the idols, and when at the same time the first mass
ever said in this kingdom of Nueva Espana, was
celebrated by the Fray Bartolome de Olrnedo, of
the order of La Merced, At present it is inhabited
by Indians only. It is three leagues distant from
the coast of Tierra Firme.

(CRAB-ORCHARD, a post-town on Dick’s
river, in Kentucky, eight miles from Cumberland
river, and 25 miles s. e. of Danville. The road
to Virginia passes through this place.)

CRABS, or Boriquen, an island of the N. sea ;
situate on the s. side of the island of St. Domingo,
first called so by the Bucaniers, from the abundance
of crabs found upon its coast. It is large and
beautiful, and its mountains and plains arc covered

with trees. The English established themselves
here in 1718, but they were attacked and driven
out by the Spaniards of St. Domingo in 17^0, who
could not suffer a colony of strangers to settle so
near them. The women and children were, how
ever, taken prisoners, and carried to the capital and
Portobelo. See Boriquen.

CRAMBERRI, a small river of the province
and colony of N. Carolina. It runs s. and enters
the source of the Conhaway.

CRAMBROOK, a river of the province and
colony of Pennsylvania in N. America.

(CRANBERRY, a thriving town in Middlesex
county. New Jersey, nine miles e. of Princeton,
and 16 s. s. w. of Brunswick. It contains a hand
some Presbyterian church, and a variety of manu
factures are carried on by its industrious in
habitants. The stage from New York to Phila
delphia passes through Amboy, this town, and
thence to Bordentown.)

(Cranberry Islands, on the coast of the dis
trict of Maine. See Mount Desert Island.)

(CRANEY, a small island on the s. side of
James river, in Virginia, at the mouth of Eliza
beth river, and five miles 5. w. of fort George, on
point Comfort. It commands the entrance of both
rivers.)

(CRANSTON is the s. easternmost township
of Providence county, Rhode Island, situated on
the w. bank of Providence river, five miles s. of
the town of Providence. The corajiact part of the
town contains 50 or 60 houses, a Baptist meeting
house, handsome school-house, a distillery, and a
number of saw and grist mills^and is called Paw
tuxet, from the river, on both sides of whose mouth
it stands, and over which is a bridge connecting
the two parts of the town. It makes a pretty ap
pearance as you pass it on the river. The whole
township contains 1877 inhabitants.)

CRAVEN, a county of the province and colony
of Carolina in N. America, situate on the shore of
the river Congaree, which divides the province
into South and North. It is filled with English and
F'rench protestants. The latter of these disem
barked here to establish themselves in 1706, but
were routed, and the greater part put to death by
the hands of the former. The river Sewee waters
this county, and its first establishment was owing
to some families wlio had come hither from New
England. It has no large city nor any considerable
town, but has two forts upon the river Saute, the
one called Sheuinirigh fort, which is 45 miles from
tlie entrance or mouth of the river, and the other
called Congaree, 65 miles from the other. [It con
tains 10,469 inhabitants, of whom S658are slaves.}


Translation