Pages That Mention Theanta
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
COLARIA, a settlement of the province and government of Tucumán, in the district of the capital, to the zo. of this province.
COLASTINA, a small river of the province and government of Buenos Ayres. It runs e. and enters the Parana,
COLATE, a small river of the province and alcaldta mayor of Tecoantepec in the kingdom of Guatemala. It runs into the S. sea, between the rivers Azatian and Capanerealte.
COLATPA, a settlement of the head settlement of Olinalá, and alcald'in mayor of TIapa, in Nueva Espana. It contains 29 families of Indians, who employ themselves in the commerce of chia, a v/hite medicinal earth, and cochineal, which abound in their territory : n. w. of its head settlement.
COLAZA, a small and ancient province, extremely fertile and delightful, belonging at the present day to the province of Popayán in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada. It was discovered by Sebastian de Benalcazar in 1536. Its inhabitants, who were a warlike and cruel race, are entirely extirpated.
COLCA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Vilcas Huaman in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Huanacapi.
COLCA, another settlement in the province and corregimiento of Xauja in the same kingdom ; annexed to the curacy of Chongos.
COLCA, another, in the province and corregimiento of Aimaraez in the same kingdom ; annexed to the curacy of Pampamarca.
COLCABAMBA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Aimaraez in Peru.
COLCABAMBA, another settlement, in the province and corregimiento of Theanta in the same kingdom.
COLCAHUANCA, a settlementof the province and corregimiento of Huailas in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Pampas.
COLCAMAR, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Luya and Chillaos in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Luya, its capital.
COLCHA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento oi Lipes, and archbishopric of Charcas, in Peru. It was formerly the capital, and preserves in its cluirch an image of the blessed virgin, sent thither by the Emperor Charles V. It is now annexed to the curacy of San Christoval.
COLCHA, another settlement, of the'province and corregimiento of Chilques and Masques in the same kingdom.
COLCHA, another, of the province and corregimiento of Cochabamba in the same kingdom ; annexed to the curacy of Berenguela,
COLCHAGUA, a province and^ corregimiento of the kingdom of Chile ; bounded on the e. by the cordillera Nevada ; s. by the province of Maule, the river Teno serving as the boundary ; and w. by the sea. It is 40 leagues in length from e. to w. and 32 in width from n. to s. Here are some gold mines, and there were several others, the working of which has been discontinued : here are also some copper mines. It abounds in wheat, large and small cattle, horses and mules. In a part called Cauquencs are some hot baths, which arc much frequented, from the salutary affects they produce, especially upon those affected with the French disease, leprosy, spots on the skin, or wounds. The inhabitants of this province amount to 15,000 souls, and its capital is the town of San Fernando.
COLCHAGUA, a settlement of this province and corregimiento, which is the head of a curacy of another, and contains four chapels of ease.
(COLCHESTER, a township in Ulster county. New York, on the Popachton branch of Delaware river, s. w. of Middletown, and about 50 miles s. w. by s. of Cooperstown. By the state census of 1796, 193 of its inhabitants are electors.)
(Colchester, a large township in New London county, Connecticut, seltled in 1701 ; about 15 miles tc. of Norwich, 25 s. e. of Hartford, and 20 n. w. of New London city. It is in contemplation to have a post-office established in this town.)
(Colchester, the chief town in Chittenden county, Vermont, is on the e. bank of lake Champlain, at the mouth of Onion river, and n, of Burlington, on Colchester bay, which spreads n. of the town.)
(Colchester, a post-town in Fairfax county, Virginia ; situate on the n. e. bank of Ocquoquam creek, three or four miles from its confluence with the Potowmack ; and is here about 100 yards wide, and navigable for boats. It contains about 40 houses, and lies 16 miles s. w. of Alexandria, 106 n. by e. of Richmond, and 172 from Philadelphia.)
(Colchester River, Nova Scotia. See CoheQUIT.)
COLCURA, a fortress of the kingdom of Chile, built on the opposite shore of the river Biobio, to restrain the incursions of the warlike Araucanian Indians, who burnt and destroyed it in 1601.
COLD Bay, in the extremity of the n. coast of the island of Jamaica, between the port Antonio and the n. e. point.
(COLD Spring, in the island of Jamaica, is a villa six miles from the high lands of Liguania. The grounds are in a high state of improvement.