LatAm Digital Edition and Gazetteer

OverviewStatisticsSubjectsWorks List

Pages That Mention Lancaster

The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]

491
Indexed

COL

COL

401

Cold spring is 4200 feet above the level of the sea ; and few or none of the tropical fruits will flourish in so cold a climate. The general state of the thermometer is from 55° to 63° ; and even sometimes so low as 44° : so that a fire there, even at noon-day, is not only comfortable, but necessary, a great part of the year. Many of the English fruits, as the apple, the peach, and the strawberry, flourish there in great perfection, with several other valuable exotics, as the tea-tree and other oriental productions.)

(Cold Spring Cove, near Burlington, New Jersey, is remarkable for its sand and clay, used in the manufacture of glass ; from whence the glass works at Hamilton, 10 miles w. of Albany, are supplied with these articles.)

COLE, a settlement of the island of Barbadoes, in the district of the parish of St. George, distinct from the other of its name in the same parish.

COLEA, a river of the province and government of Maynas in the kingdom of Quito. It runs s. and enters the Tigre.

(COLEBROOKE, in the «. part of New Hampshire, in Grafton county, lies on the e. bank of Connecticut river, opposite the Great Monadnock, in Canaan, state of Vermont ; joining Cockburne on the s. and Stuartstown on the n. ; 126 miles n. w. by «. from Portsmouth.)

(COLEBROOKE, a Tougb, hilly township on the n. line of Connecticut, in Litchfield county, 30 miles n. w. of Hartford city. It was settled in 1736. Here are two iron works, and several mills, on Still river, a n. w. water of Farmington river. In digging a cellar in this town, at the close of the year 1796, belonging to Mr. John Hulburt, the workmen, at the depth of about 9 or 10 feet, found three large tusks and two thigh-bones of an animal, the latter of which measured each about four feet four inches in length, and 12|; inches in circumference. When first discovered they were entire, but as soon as they were exposed to the air they mouldered to dust. This adds another to the manj^ facts which prove that a race of enormous animals, now extinct, once inhabited the United States.)

(COLERAIN, a township in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania.]

(COLERAIN, a town on the». bank of St. Mary’s river, Camden county, Georgia, 40 or 50 miles from its mouth. On the 29th of June 1796, a treaty of peace and friendship was made and concluded at this place, between the president of the United States, on the one part, in behalf of the United States, and the king’s chiefs and warriors of the Creek nation of Indians, on the other. By

this treaty, the line between the white people and the Indians was established to run from the Currahee mountain to the head or source of the main s. branch of the Oconee river, called by the white people Appalatohee, and by the Indians Tulapoeka, and down the middle of the same.” Liberty was also given by the Indians to the president of the United Stutes to “ establish a trading or military post on the s. side of Alatamaha, about one mile from Beard’s bluff', or any where from thence down the river, on the lands of the Indians and the Indians agreed to “ annex to said post a tract of land of five miles square ; and in return for this and other tokens of friendship on the part of the Indians, the United States stipulated to give them goods to the value of 6000 dollars, and to furnish them with two blacksmiths with tools.)

COLGUE, a settlement of the island of Laxa in the kingdom of Chile ; situate on the shore of the river Tolpan.

COLIMA, the alcaldia mayor and jurisdiction of the province and bishopric of Mechoacán in Nueva Espana. It is bounded e. by the jurisdiction of Zapotlan, s. by that of Mortincs, n. by that of Tuzcacuesco, and w. by that of Autlan, and the port of La Navidad in the kingdom of Nueva Galicia. It carries on a great trade in salt, collected on the coasts of the S. sea, where there are wells and salt grounds, from which great emolument is derived, supplying, as they do, the inland provinces with this article. Formerly the best

cocoa wine of any in the kingdom was made here, from the abundance of this fruit found in all the palm estates ; but the art of bringing it to perfection was lost, and this branch of commerce died away, from the additional cause, that the making of this liquor was prohibited by the viceroy, the Duke of Albuquerque, as being a drink calculated to produce great inebriety. The capital is of the same name ; and the settlements of this district are, Almoloioyan, Zinacantepec,

Comala, Totolmoloyan,

Zaqualpa, Caxitlan,

Xulua. Tecoman,

Xilotlan, Ixtlahuaca,

Guezalapa, Tomala,

Nagualapa, Cuatlan. ,

Cochimatlan,

The capital is a town sitimteupon the coast of the S. sea, near the frontiers ofXalisco, in the most fertile and pleasant valley of Nueva Espaiia. It abounds in cacao and other vegetable productions ; is of a hot temperature, and the air is very pure. Its buildings are regular and handsome, 3 R 2

I

Last edit about 5 years ago by kmr3934
495
Indexed

COL

COM

495

(lereent of Quecliollenan^o, and nkaldia mni/or of Chilapa, in Nueva Espana. It contains 27 families of Indians, and is three leagues from its head settlement.

COLOYA, a settlement of the province and government of Popayán in the corregimiento of Pasto.

COLPA, a settlement of the province and correghniento of Aymaraez in Peru'; annexed to the curacy ot Pituhuanca in the province of Cochabamba.

COLPAPIRHUA , a settlement of the province an^l corregimiento of Cochabamba in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Tiquipaya.

COLPES, a settlem.ent of the province and government of Tucumán, in the district of its capital.

COLPI, a small river of the kingdom of Chile, It runs n. and enters the Quisu.

COLQUEMARCA, a settlement of the jrrovince and correghniento of Chumbivilcas in Peru.

COLQUEPATA, a settlement of tiie province and cori'egimienlo of Paucartambo in Peru; annexed to the curacy of its capital.

COLQUI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Cicasica in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Mohosa in the province of Cochabamba.

COLQUIOC, a settlement of the province and corregimienlo of Caxatambo in Peru ; annexed to the curncy ofCaxacay.

(COLRAINE, a township in Hampshire county, Massachusetts, which contains 229 houses, and 1417 inhabitants,)

COLTA, a large lake of the province and forregimiento of Riobamba in the kingdom of Quito, near that city to the s. It is about two leagues in length from n, to s. and is of an oval figure. Its banks are covered with very fine rushes and eneax, or flags; but fish will not breed in it, owing to the coldness of the climate ; it has two very small streams, the one to the w. and passing very near to Riobamba, and the other to the s. entering the n. side of the river Gamote.

(COLUMBIA, a township in Washington county, district of Maine, on Pleasant river, adjoining Macliias on the 7i.e. and was formerly called Plantations No. 12 and 13. It was incorporated in 1796. The town of Machias lies 15 miles to the e. ; it is nine miles from Steuben.)

(Columbia County, in New York, is bounded n. by Rensselaer, s. by Dutchess, e. by the state of Massachusetts, and w. by Hudson river, which divides it from Albany county. It is 32 miles in length and 21 in breadth, and is divided into

eight towns, of which Hudson, Claverack, and Kinderhook, are the chief. It contained in 1790 27,732 inhabitants, and in 1796, 3560 electors.)

(Columbia College. See New York City.)

(Columbia, Territory of. See Washington, or the Federal City.)

(Columbia, a post-town, the capital of Kershaw county, and the seat of government of S. Carolina. It is situated in Camden district, on the e. side of the Congaree, just below the confluence of Saluda and Broad rivers ; the streets are regular, and the town contains upwards of 70 houses. The public offices have, in some measure, been divided, for the accomodation of the inhabitants of the lower counties, and a branch of each retained in Charlestown. It lies 115 miles «. n. u\ of Charlestown, .35 s. w. of Camden, 85 from Augusta in Georgia, and 678 s. u\ of Philadelphia. Jjat. 33° 58' n. Long. 8° 5' ay.)

(Columbia, a flourishing po.st-town in Goochland county, Virginia, on the «. side of James river, at the mouth of the Rivanna. It contains about 40 houses, and a warehouse for the inspection of tobacco. It lies 45 miles above Richmond, 35 from Charlottesville, and 328 s. w. of Philadelphia.)

(Columbia, atown newly laid out in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, on the n. e. bank of Susquehannah river, at Wright’s ferry, 10 miles w. of Lancaster, and 76 to. by n. of Philadelphia.)

(Columbia County, in the upper district of Georgia, is bounded by Savannah e. on the n. e, and e. which separates it from the state of S. Carolina, w. of Richmond county. Its shape is very irregular.)

(Columbia, a town on the «. w. territory, on the «. bank of Ohio river, and on thezo. side of the mouth of Little Miami river; about six miles s. e. by e. of fort W ashington, eight e. by s. of Cincinnati, and 87 n. by w. of Lexington in Kentucky. Lat. 38° 44' ? 2 .)

COMACARI, a large river of the kingdom of Nuevo Mexico.

COMACHUEN, Santa Maria de, a settlement of the head settlement of Siguinan, and akaidia mayor of Valladolid, in the province and bishopric of Mechoacan, with 25 families of Indians, whose only occupation is in making saddletrees. Two leagues from its head settlement.

COMAGRE, a very small, barren, and desert island of the N. sea, on the coast of the province and government of Darien, and nearly to the s. of the island of Pinos.

COMALA, a settlement of the head settlement

Last edit about 5 years ago by kmr3934
Displaying all 2 pages