The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
C H U
C H U
Belille, Ayacasi, Libitaco, Tofora, Palaqueua, Alahamaca, Toro, Asicnto de Quivio, Colquemarca, Yanqui, Capacmarca, Cancahuana, Llauzeo, Caspi, Quinota, Santo Tomas, Alca, Piiica, Tomipampaj Cotahuassi, Qnillunza, Cupi.
CHUNCARA, a settlement of the corregimiento of Cuzco in Peru ; one of those which have remained in this kingdom from the time of the Incas. It was the boundary or extent of the conquests of Sinchiroca, eleventh Emperor, and he left at it a strong garrison to guard against invasion from the neighbouring people. Twenty leagues from its capital.
Same name, another settlement of the province and government of Jaen de Bracamoros in the same kingdom. It is entirely of Indians, of an hot climate, atid in its territory towards the n. and towards the e. are some gold mines, which were in former times worked, but to-day abandoned. Its situation is between the rivers Patacones to the e. and Chinchipe to the w. upon the high road which leads from Loyola to Tomependa.
CHUNCHOS, a barbarous nation of Indians, of the province and government of Tarma in Peru, and much dreaded by the Spaniards, on account of the repeated incursions made by those savages on their possessions. In Lima they are in a continal state of fear and apprehension of some sudden attack from these enemies ; for in 1742 they took and destroyed several settlements and estates, killing many Franciscan monks who were missionaries amongst them. They were, however, once attacked by the brigadier, the Marquis de Mena Hermosa, general of Callao, who constructed some forts, which are still served with artillery and troops sufficient to protect them. These Indians have a chief or prince, called the chuncho, descended, according to their accounts, from the royal race of the Incas, who would fain lay claim to the monarchy of Peru as his right; and accordingly, in 1744, represented to the Marquis of Villa Garcia, not without great threats, his intention of doing himself justice by force of arms : he is a Catholic, and has added to h is own honours the title of King of Peru ; he was brought up at Lima amongst the Spaniards as the son of a cazique, where he was instructed in the rules of government, policy, and military tactics, which he introduced into his own country, and made known the use of swords and fire-arms. He went to Rome disguised as a menial, was introduced to the court of Madrid, where he kissed the hand of King Philip V. and the foot of the Pontiff Clement XII. He has two sons well instructed and equal in mental energies. These Chuiichos Indians are numerous, and live, some of them, in villages, and others scattered over the mountains and in the woods ; they maintain a secret correspondence with the "Indians of all the other settlements of Peru and Quito, as well as with the Christians and infidels inhabiting the forests where missions are established ; by tliis means they know vvhat is passing in all the provinces, cities, and settlements, &c. Many Indians who are malcontents, or fugitives from justice on account oferimeordebt, invariably betake themselves to the Chunchos, and this is the reason why this nation is so very populous. The viceroy of Peru uses the greatest precautions, and is continually on the alert against any movements of the Chunchos or other Indians, and keeps a garrison of good troops upon his frontiers.
CHUNCHURI, an ancient province of Peru in Las Charcas. It is small, and its natives were the most valorous and hardy of any in the kingdom. The Inca Roca, fourth Emperor, subjected them, having attacked them with 30,000 of his best troops.
3 o 2
C V I
souls. Sixty leagues from Quito, in lat. 2° 55' 5. and long. 78° 50'.
CUENCAME, San Antonio de, a town of the province of Tepeguana, and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya. It is the rea/of the silver mines, where reside numbers of people of all ranks. It has a convent of the religious order of St. Francis, and in its district are various manufactories for grinding the metals that are extracted from the mines. It is 37 leagues to the n. of the capital Guadiana, and 24 from Durango.
CUENCO, a settlement of the head settlement of Tirindaro, and alcald'ia mayor of Valladolid, in the province and bishopric of Mechoacan ; situate in a glen surrounded by many mountains. Through its gutters runs a crystalline stream of sweet water, which serves to fertilize its orchards and cultivated grounds. It contains 66 families of Indians, and is two short leagues to the n. of its head settlement.
CUERNAVACCA, a town of the intendancy of Mexico, the ancient Quauhnahuac, on the s. declivity of the cordillera of Guchilaque, in a temperate and delicious climate, finely adapted for the cultivation of the fruit-trees of Europe. Height 1655 metres, or 5429 feet.]
CUES, San Juan de los, a settlement of the bead settlement and alcaldia mayor of Cuicatlan in Nueva Espana. It contains 72 families of Indians, whose commerce is in maize, French beans, and fruits. In its vicinity is a sugar-mill, at which 60 families of Negro slaves assist.
CUEUAS, San Agustin de las, a settlement
and head settlement of the district of the alcaldia mayor of Coyoacan in Nueva Espana. It is of a very good temperature and of a healthy situation, abounding in waters and fruit-trees, and covered with country houses, orchards, and gardens, which serve as a recreation to the people of Mexico. It has a convent of the religious order of St. Domingo, and 751 families; lying three leagues to the s. of Mexico, and two from its capital.
Cueuas, another settlement, of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits in the province of Tepeguana, and kingdom of Nueva Espana; situate on the shore of the river Florido, and at the distance of six leagues from the garrison of the valley of San Bartolome.
Cueuas, another, of the missions which were held by the same regulars of the company, in the province of Taraumara, of the same kingdom as the former, 20 leagues to the s. of the real of the mines of Chiguagua.
CUIABA, Jesus de, a town of the province of Matagroso in Brazil ; situate on the shore of the river Paraguay, at its source, near the large lake of LosXareyes. In its vicinity are some abundant gold mines, which have been worked by the Portuguese since the year 1740. Lat. 14° 33'.
CUIAC, Santiago de, a settlement of the head settlement of Amatlan, and alcaldia mayor of Zacatlan, in Nueva Espana. It lies four leagues from its bead settlement, but the journey to it from thence is almost impracticable, owing to its being situate in the middle of the sierra.
CUIACLAZALA, a settlement of the head settlement of San Luis de la Costa, and of the al^ caldia mayor of Tlapa, in Nueva Espana. It produces a great quantity of cochineal, this being the only production in which its inhabitants merchandize. These are composed of 60 families of Indians. It is seven leagues to the j. of its capital.
CUIANA, a small river of the province and