C V I
souls. Sixty leagues from Quito, in lat. 2° 55'
5. and long. 78° 50'.
CUENCAME, San Antonio de, a town of
the province of Tepeguana, and kingdom of
Nueva Vizcaya. It is the rea/of the silver mines,
where reside numbers of people of all ranks. It
has a convent of the religious order of St. Francis,
and in its district are various manufactories for
grinding the metals that are extracted from the
mines. It is 37 leagues to the n. of the capital
Guadiana, and 24 from Durango.
CUENCO, a settlement of the head settlement of
Tirindaro, and alcald'ia mayor of Valladolid, in the
province and bishopric of Mechoacan ; situate in
a glen surrounded by many mountains. Through
its gutters runs a crystalline stream of sweet water,
which serves to fertilize its orchards and cultivated
grounds. It contains 66 families of Indians, and
is two short leagues to the n. of its head settle-
CUERNAVACCA, a town of the intendancy
of Mexico, the ancient Quauhnahuac, on the s.
declivity of the cordillera of Guchilaque, in a tem-
perate and delicious climate, finely adapted for
the cultivation of the fruit-trees of Europe.
Height 1655 metres, or 5429 feet.]
CUES, San Juan de los, a settlement of the
bead settlement and alcaldia mayor of Cuicatlan
in Nueva Espana. It contains 72 families of In-
dians, whose commerce is in maize, French beans,
and fruits. In its vicinity is a sugar-mill, at which
60 families of Negro slaves assist.
CUEUAS, San Agustin de las, a settlement
and head settlement of the district of the alcaldia
mayor of Coyoacan in Nueva Espana. It is of a
very good temperature and of a healthy situation,
abounding in waters and fruit-trees, and covered
with country houses, orchards, and gardens,
which serve as a recreation to the people of Mex-
ico. It has a convent of the religious order of St.
Domingo, and 751 families; lying three leagues
to the s. of Mexico, and two from its capital.
Cueuas, another settlement, of the missions
which were held by the regulars of the company
of Jesuits in the province of Tepeguana, and
kingdom of Nueva Espana; situate on the shore
of the river Florido, and at the distance of six
leagues from the garrison of the valley of San Bar-
Cueuas, another, of the missions which were
held by the same regulars of the company, in the
province of Taraumara, of the same kingdom as
the former, 20 leagues to the s. of the real of the
mines of Chiguagua.
CUIABA, Jesus de, a town of the province of
Matagroso in Brazil ; situate on the shore of the
river Paraguay, at its source, near the large lake
of LosXareyes. In its vicinity are some abundant
gold mines, which have been worked by the Por-
tuguese since the year 1740. Lat. 14° 33'.
CUIAC, Santiago de, a settlement of the
head settlement of Amatlan, and alcaldia mayor of
Zacatlan, in Nueva Espana. It lies four leagues
from its bead settlement, but the journey to it from
thence is almost impracticable, owing to its being
situate in the middle of the sierra.
CUIACLAZALA, a settlement of the head
settlement of San Luis de la Costa, and of the al^
caldia mayor of Tlapa, in Nueva Espana. It
produces a great quantity of cochineal, this being
the only production in which its inhabitants mer-
chandize. These are composed of 60 families of
Indians. It is seven leagues to the j. of its
CUIANA, a small river of the province and
Notes and Questions
Nobody has written a note for this page yet
Please sign in to write a note for this page