Pages That Mention Coyoacan
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
C V I
souls. Sixty leagues from Quito, in lat. 2° 55' 5. and long. 78° 50'.
CUENCAME, San Antonio de, a town of the province of Tepeguana, and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya. It is the rea/of the silver mines, where reside numbers of people of all ranks. It has a convent of the religious order of St. Francis, and in its district are various manufactories for grinding the metals that are extracted from the mines. It is 37 leagues to the n. of the capital Guadiana, and 24 from Durango.
CUENCO, a settlement of the head settlement of Tirindaro, and alcald'ia mayor of Valladolid, in the province and bishopric of Mechoacan ; situate in a glen surrounded by many mountains. Through its gutters runs a crystalline stream of sweet water, which serves to fertilize its orchards and cultivated grounds. It contains 66 families of Indians, and is two short leagues to the n. of its head settlement.
CUERNAVACCA, a town of the intendancy of Mexico, the ancient Quauhnahuac, on the s. declivity of the cordillera of Guchilaque, in a temperate and delicious climate, finely adapted for the cultivation of the fruit-trees of Europe. Height 1655 metres, or 5429 feet.]
CUES, San Juan de los, a settlement of the bead settlement and alcaldia mayor of Cuicatlan in Nueva Espana. It contains 72 families of Indians, whose commerce is in maize, French beans, and fruits. In its vicinity is a sugar-mill, at which 60 families of Negro slaves assist.
CUEUAS, San Agustin de las, a settlement
and head settlement of the district of the alcaldia mayor of Coyoacan in Nueva Espana. It is of a very good temperature and of a healthy situation, abounding in waters and fruit-trees, and covered with country houses, orchards, and gardens, which serve as a recreation to the people of Mexico. It has a convent of the religious order of St. Domingo, and 751 families; lying three leagues to the s. of Mexico, and two from its capital.
Cueuas, another settlement, of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits in the province of Tepeguana, and kingdom of Nueva Espana; situate on the shore of the river Florido, and at the distance of six leagues from the garrison of the valley of San Bartolome.
Cueuas, another, of the missions which were held by the same regulars of the company, in the province of Taraumara, of the same kingdom as the former, 20 leagues to the s. of the real of the mines of Chiguagua.
CUIABA, Jesus de, a town of the province of Matagroso in Brazil ; situate on the shore of the river Paraguay, at its source, near the large lake of LosXareyes. In its vicinity are some abundant gold mines, which have been worked by the Portuguese since the year 1740. Lat. 14° 33'.
CUIAC, Santiago de, a settlement of the head settlement of Amatlan, and alcaldia mayor of Zacatlan, in Nueva Espana. It lies four leagues from its bead settlement, but the journey to it from thence is almost impracticable, owing to its being situate in the middle of the sierra.
CUIACLAZALA, a settlement of the head settlement of San Luis de la Costa, and of the al^ caldia mayor of Tlapa, in Nueva Espana. It produces a great quantity of cochineal, this being the only production in which its inhabitants merchandize. These are composed of 60 families of Indians. It is seven leagues to the j. of its capital.
CUIANA, a small river of the province and