Pages That Mention Corazon
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
C O R'
upon the loftiest part of that most beautiful lltinura, from which the prospect is so enchanting ; sliewing on one side the sea, on another the river which waters tlie precincts, and on another some shady poplar groves. It is of an extremely benign temperature, and enjoying throughout the year a perpetual spring, being neither incommoded by heat nor cold. It is extremely fertile, and abounds in whatever can conduce to the comfort and convenience of life. The city is tolerably large ; all the streets are drawn at straight lines ; and the houses are disjoined from each other by large gardens, which are all well supplied with water brought by aqueducts from the river. The parish church is very beautiful, and not less so are those of the religious orders of St.. Francis, St. Domingo, St. Augustin, La Merced, San Juan de Dios, and the college which formerly belonged to the regulars of the company of the Jesuits. It has a port, which is convenient ajid much frequented by vessels ; upon the shore of which are caught tunnies, abacoras, and various other kinds of fish ; also many delicate kinds of shell-fish. At a small distance is a very abundant copper mine, from which much metal is extracted and carried to Europe ; and it is of this, as well as of its excellent breed of horses, its wine, oil, tallow, cow-hides, and dried meats, that its commerce is composed ; sending, as it does yearly, four or five vessels loaded with these effects to Lima. Although it has mines of the purest gold, yet these are but little worked. The whole of the town is covered with beautiful myrtles, and of these there is a delightful grove. It was destroyed by the Araucanos Indians in 1547 ; and in 1579 it was attempted to be taken by Francis Drake, who was repulsed by the inhabitants, la 1680 it seemed to be rebuilt only that it might undergo a sacking the same year by the English pirate, Bartholomew Sharps. Its population consists of 500 families of Spaniards and people of colour, and some Indians. Fifteen leagues from the city of Concepcion, and 58 from the capital of the kingdom, Santiago. Lat. 30° s. Long. 71° 18'. [See Chile,]
COQUIMBO, an island of the coast of this province and corregimiento.
COQUIN, a settlement of the province and government of Tarma in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Cayna.
COQUINOCA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Chichas and Tarija in Peru.
CORAI, Santa Clara de Cosme, a settlement of the province and corregimienlo of Huanta in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Paucarbaraba.
CORAJAIS, a settlement and village of th« Portuguese in the province and country of Las Amazonas ; situate on the shore of the river Negro.
CORAL, a settlement of the province and c«/j* iainship of Rey in Brazil; situate on the sea-coast, at the mouth of the river Imbau.
(Coral River, in New Mexico, runs a course w. by s. and empties into the head of the gulf of California, close by the mouth of Colorado river.)
(CORAM, a post-town in Suffolk county. Long island. New York, It has about 60 houses, and lies 62 miles e. of New Y ork city, and 10 from Srnithtown.)
CORANI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Carabaya in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Ayapata.
CORAS, Santiago de los, a settlement of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits in California ; situate at an equal distance from both coasts. It is composed of Indians of the nation of its name, and is the place where the Father Lorenzo Carranza, a missionary, suffered martyrdom.
Coras, some shoals, lying very little under water, near the coast of the province and coptamship of Marañan in Brazil, at the mouth of a river which is also thus called.
CORAZON DE Jesus, a settlement of the corregimiento and jurisdiction of Velez in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada. Its population i* small, and it is situate in a country mountainous and full of pools, being scanty in vegetable productions, with 200 inhabitants, a miserable race. It is near the settlement of Chiquinquira, and to the s. of Velez.
CORAZON, another, called De Maria, of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of J esLiits, in the province and government of Maynas, of the kingdom of Quito ; situate on the shore of the river Aguarico.
CORAZON, another, called De Jesus, in the province and government of the Chiquitos Indians in Peru ; situate at the foot of the cordillera of San Fernando, a reduccion of the missions which were held there by the regulars of the company,
CORAZON, another, of the kingdom of Quito, in the corregimiento of the district of Las Cinco Leguasde esta Ciudad (the Five Leagues from this City), and in the road which leads down from Guayaquil.
CORAZON, a mountain of the kingdom of Quito, on the s. s. e. part, from the ivhich on the w. flow down the rivers of San Lorenzo and Yaraboya,