C O R'
upon the loftiest part of that most beautiful lltinura,
from which the prospect is so enchanting ; sliew-
ing on one side the sea, on another the river which
waters tlie precincts, and on another some shady
poplar groves. It is of an extremely benign tem-
perature, and enjoying throughout the year a per-
petual spring, being neither incommoded by heat
nor cold. It is extremely fertile, and abounds in
whatever can conduce to the comfort and conve-
nience of life. The city is tolerably large ; all the
streets are drawn at straight lines ; and the houses
are disjoined from each other by large gardens,
which are all well supplied with water brought by
aqueducts from the river. The parish church is
very beautiful, and not less so are those of the re-
ligious orders of St.. Francis, St. Domingo, St.
Augustin, La Merced, San Juan de Dios, and the
college which formerly belonged to the regulars
of the company of the Jesuits. It has a port,
which is convenient ajid much frequented by ves-
sels ; upon the shore of which are caught tunnies,
abacoras, and various other kinds of fish ; also
many delicate kinds of shell-fish. At a small dis-
tance is a very abundant copper mine, from which
much metal is extracted and carried to Europe ;
and it is of this, as well as of its excellent breed
of horses, its wine, oil, tallow, cow-hides, and
dried meats, that its commerce is composed ; send-
ing, as it does yearly, four or five vessels loaded
with these effects to Lima. Although it has mines
of the purest gold, yet these are but little worked.
The whole of the town is covered with beautiful
myrtles, and of these there is a delightful grove.
It was destroyed by the Araucanos Indians in
1547 ; and in 1579 it was attempted to be taken by
Francis Drake, who was repulsed by the inhabi-
tants, la 1680 it seemed to be rebuilt only that
it might undergo a sacking the same year by the
English pirate, Bartholomew Sharps. Its popula-
tion consists of 500 families of Spaniards and
people of colour, and some Indians. Fifteen
leagues from the city of Concepcion, and 58 from
the capital of the kingdom, Santiago. Lat. 30° s.
Long. 71° 18'. [See Chile,]
COQUIMBO, an island of the coast of this pro-
vince and corregimiento.
CORAS, Santiago de los, a settlement of the
missions which were held by the regulars of the
company of Jesuits in California ; situate at an
equal distance from both coasts. It is composed
of Indians of the nation of its name, and is the
place where the Father Lorenzo Carranza, a mis-
sionary, suffered martyrdom.
CORAZON DE Jesus, a settlement of the
corregimiento and jurisdiction of Velez in the
Nuevo Reyno de Granada. Its population i*
small, and it is situate in a country mountainous
and full of pools, being scanty in vegetable pro-
ductions, with 200 inhabitants, a miserable race.
It is near the settlement of Chiquinquira, and to
the s. of Velez.
CORAZON, another, called De Maria, of the mis-
sions which were held by the regulars of the company
of J esLiits, in the province and government of May-
nas, of the kingdom of Quito ; situate on the
shore of the river Aguarico.
CORAZON, another, called De Jesus, in the pro-
vince and government of the Chiquitos Indians in
Peru ; situate at the foot of the cordillera of San
Fernando, a reduccion of the missions which were
held there by the regulars of the company,
Notes and Questions
Nobody has written a note for this page yet
Please sign in to write a note for this page