Pages That Mention Reyno del Nuevo México
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
(lereent of Quecliollenan^o, and nkaldia mni/or of Chilapa, in Nueva Espana. It contains 27 families of Indians, and is three leagues from its head settlement.
COLOYA, a settlement of the province and government of Popayán in the corregimiento of Pasto.
COLPA, a settlement of the province and correghniento of Aymaraez in Peru'; annexed to the curacy ot Pituhuanca in the province of Cochabamba.
COLPAPIRHUA , a settlement of the province an^l corregimiento of Cochabamba in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Tiquipaya.
COLPES, a settlem.ent of the province and government of Tucumán, in the district of its capital.
COLPI, a small river of the kingdom of Chile, It runs n. and enters the Quisu.
COLQUEMARCA, a settlement of the jrrovince and correghniento of Chumbivilcas in Peru.
COLQUEPATA, a settlement of tiie province and cori'egimienlo of Paucartambo in Peru; annexed to the curacy of its capital.
COLQUI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Cicasica in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Mohosa in the province of Cochabamba.
COLQUIOC, a settlement of the province and corregimienlo of Caxatambo in Peru ; annexed to the curncy ofCaxacay.
(COLRAINE, a township in Hampshire county, Massachusetts, which contains 229 houses, and 1417 inhabitants,)
COLTA, a large lake of the province and forregimiento of Riobamba in the kingdom of Quito, near that city to the s. It is about two leagues in length from n, to s. and is of an oval figure. Its banks are covered with very fine rushes and eneax, or flags; but fish will not breed in it, owing to the coldness of the climate ; it has two very small streams, the one to the w. and passing very near to Riobamba, and the other to the s. entering the n. side of the river Gamote.
(COLUMBIA, a township in Washington county, district of Maine, on Pleasant river, adjoining Macliias on the 7i.e. and was formerly called Plantations No. 12 and 13. It was incorporated in 1796. The town of Machias lies 15 miles to the e. ; it is nine miles from Steuben.)
(Columbia County, in New York, is bounded n. by Rensselaer, s. by Dutchess, e. by the state of Massachusetts, and w. by Hudson river, which divides it from Albany county. It is 32 miles in length and 21 in breadth, and is divided into
eight towns, of which Hudson, Claverack, and Kinderhook, are the chief. It contained in 1790 27,732 inhabitants, and in 1796, 3560 electors.)
(Columbia College. See New York City.)
(Columbia, Territory of. See Washington, or the Federal City.)
(Columbia, a post-town, the capital of Kershaw county, and the seat of government of S. Carolina. It is situated in Camden district, on the e. side of the Congaree, just below the confluence of Saluda and Broad rivers ; the streets are regular, and the town contains upwards of 70 houses. The public offices have, in some measure, been divided, for the accomodation of the inhabitants of the lower counties, and a branch of each retained in Charlestown. It lies 115 miles «. n. u\ of Charlestown, .35 s. w. of Camden, 85 from Augusta in Georgia, and 678 s. u\ of Philadelphia. Jjat. 33° 58' n. Long. 8° 5' ay.)
(Columbia, a flourishing po.st-town in Goochland county, Virginia, on the «. side of James river, at the mouth of the Rivanna. It contains about 40 houses, and a warehouse for the inspection of tobacco. It lies 45 miles above Richmond, 35 from Charlottesville, and 328 s. w. of Philadelphia.)
(Columbia, atown newly laid out in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, on the n. e. bank of Susquehannah river, at Wright’s ferry, 10 miles w. of Lancaster, and 76 to. by n. of Philadelphia.)
(Columbia County, in the upper district of Georgia, is bounded by Savannah e. on the n. e, and e. which separates it from the state of S. Carolina, w. of Richmond county. Its shape is very irregular.)
(Columbia, a town on the «. w. territory, on the «. bank of Ohio river, and on thezo. side of the mouth of Little Miami river; about six miles s. e. by e. of fort W ashington, eight e. by s. of Cincinnati, and 87 n. by w. of Lexington in Kentucky. Lat. 38° 44' ? 2 .)
COMACARI, a large river of the kingdom of Nuevo Mexico.
COMACHUEN, Santa Maria de, a settlement of the head settlement of Siguinan, and akaidia mayor of Valladolid, in the province and bishopric of Mechoacan, with 25 families of Indians, whose only occupation is in making saddletrees. Two leagues from its head settlement.
COMAGRE, a very small, barren, and desert island of the N. sea, on the coast of the province and government of Darien, and nearly to the s. of the island of Pinos.
COMALA, a settlement of the head settlement
mills. The whole of the district of its territory is covered with estates and country-seats, which abound in all kinds of fruits, at once rendering it a place pleasing and advantageous for residence.
Concepcion, another, of the province and corregimiento of Pacajes in Peru ; situate on the shore oflhe lake Titicaca, and at the mouth of the river Desa<;uadero.
Concepcion, anotlier, of the province and government of the Chiquitos Indians, in the same kingdom ; a reduccion of the missions which were held in this province by the regulars of the company of the Jesuits ; situate between the source of the river Verde and the river Ubay.
Concepcion, another, of the province and government of Moxos in the kingdom of Quito ; ■situate between the rivers Guandes and Y laibi, and nearly in the spot where they join.
Concepcion, another, of the former province and government ; situate on the shore of the river Itenes.
Concepcion, another, of the province and country of the Amazonas, in the Portuguese possessions ; a reduccion of the missions which are held by the Carmelite fathers of this nation ; situate on the shore of a pool or lake formed by the river Urubu. . .
Concepcion, another, of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits in California ; situate near the sea-coast and the Puerto Nuevo, or New Port.
Concepcion, another, of the province and government of Tucumán in Peru, and district of Chaco ; being a reduccion of the Abipones Indians, of the mission held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits, and to-day under the charge of the religious order of S. Francisco.
Concepcion, another, which is also called huenclara or Canada, of the missions held by the religion of St. Francis, in the kingdom of Nuevo Mexico.
Concepcion, another, which is the real oi ine silver mines of the province and government of Sonora in Nueva Espana.
Concepcion, another, of the province and capiahiship ot Rio Janeiro in Brazil 5 situate on the coast, opposite the Isla Grande.
Concepcion, another, of the province and capiainship of S. Vincente in the same kingdom.
Concepcion, another, of the province and government of Buenos Ayres; situate at the mouth of the river Saladillo, on the coast which lies between the river La Plata and the straits of Magellan.
Concepcion, another, of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Je-
suits, in the province and government of Buenos Ayres ; situate on the w. shore of the river Uruguay. (Lat. 27° 58' 43". Long. 53° 27' 13" re.)
Concepcion, another, of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits, in the country of the Chiquitos Indians, in the kingdom of Peru ; situate to the e. of that of San Francisco Xavier.
Concepcion, another, of the province and government of Cinaloa in Nueva Espana.
Concepcion, another, of the province and government of Quixos and Macas in the kingdom of Quito, which produces nothing but maize, yucas^ plantains, and quantities of aloes, with the which the natives pay their tribute, and which are much esteemed in Peru.
Concepcion, a town of the province and government of Tucumán in Peru, in the jurisdiction of the city of Santiago del Estero, between the rivers Bermejo and Salado. It was destroyed by the infidel Indians.
Concepcion, a bay of the kingdom of Chile, at the innermost part of which, and four leagues from its entrance, is found a bed of shells, from which is made excellent lime.
Concepcion, another bay, in the gulf of California, or Mar Roxo de Cortes. It is very large and capacious, having within it various islands. Its entrance is, however, very narrow.
Concepcion, a river in the province and government of Costarica, which runs into the sea between that of San Antonio and that of Portete.
Concepcion, another, of the kingdom of Brazil, which rises to the w. of the town of Gorjas, runs s. 5 . K). and unites itself with that of the Remedies, to enter the river Prieto or La Palma.
Concepcion, another, which is an arm of the river Picazuru, in the province and government of Paraguay.
Concepcion, another, of the kingdom of Chile, which runs through the middle of the city of Concepcion, and enters the sea in the bay of tliis name.
(Concepcion, a large bay on the c. side of Newfoundland island, whose entrance is between cape St. Francis on the s. and Flamborough head on the n. It runs a great way into the land in a s. direction, having numerous bays on the w. side, on which are two settlements, Carboniere and Havre de Grace. Settlements were made here in 1610, by about 40 planters, under Governor John Guy, to whom King James had granted a patent of incorporation.)
(Concepcion of Salaye, a small town of N. America, in the province of Mechoacán in Mexico
C R U
C R U
vince and government of Buenos Ayres, founded in ]629, in lat. 29° 29' 1" 5.] t])Cruz, Santa, an island oftheN. sea,^one of the Antilles, 22 leagues long and five wide. Its territory is fertile, but the air unhealthy at certain seasons, from the low situation. It has many rivers, streams, and fountains, with three very good and convenient ports. It was for a long while desert, until some English settled themselves in it, and began to cultivate it; afterwards the French possessed themselves of it, in 1650, and sold it the following year to the knights of Malta, from whom it was bought, in 1664, by the West India company. In 1674, it was incorporated with the possessions of the crown by the king of France. Its inhabitants afterwards removed to the island of St. Domingo, demolished the forts, and sold it to a company of Danes, of Copenhagen, who now possess it. It was the first of the Antilles which was occupied by the Spaniards ; is SO leagues
from the island of St. Christopher’s, eight from Puertorico, six from that of Boriquen, and five from that of St. Thomas. It abounds in sugars cane and tobacco, as also in fruits, which render it very delightful. [It is said to produce SO, 000 or 40,000 hhds. of sugar annually, and other W. India commodities, in tolerable plenty. It is in a high state of cultivation, and has about 3000 white inhabitants and 30,000 slaves. A great proportion of the Negroes of this island have embraced Christianity, under the Moravian missionaries, whose influence has been greatly promotive of its prosperity.
The official value of the Imports and Exports of Santa Cruz were, in
1809, imports ^^435,378, exports ^ig84,964.
1810, 422,033, 89,949.
And the quantities of the principal articles im--
ported into Great Britain were, in
Santa Cruz is in lat. 70° 44' n. Long. 64° 43' w. See West Indies.]
Cruz, Santa, a small island in the straits ©f Magellan, opposite cape Monday. The Admiral Pedro Sarmiento took possession of it for the crown of Spain, that making the tenth time of its being captured.
Cruz, Santa, a small island of the coast of Brazil, in the province and captainship of Rey, between that coast and the island of Santa Catalina.
Cruz, Santa, a sand -bank or islet near the n. coast of the island of Cuba, and close to the sandbank of Cumplido.
Cruz, Santa, a point of the coast of the province and government of Honduras, called Triunfo de la Cruz, (Triumph of the Cross), between the port of La Sal and the river Tian, SO leagues from the gulf, in lat. 15° 40'.
Cruz, Santa, a port of the coast which lies between the river La Plata and the straits of Magellan. On one side it has the Ensenada Grande, or Large Bay, and on the other the mountain of Santa Ines. Lat. 50° 10' s.
==Cruz, Santa, a river of the coastwhich lies between the river La Plata and the straits of Magellan. It runs into the sea.
Cruz, Santa, a small river of the province and captainship of Los Ilheos in Brazil. It rises near the coast, runs e. and enters the sea between the Grande and the Dulce, opposite the shoals ofS. Antonio.
Cruz, Santa, another, of the province and captainship of Seara in the same kingdom. It rises near the coast, runs n. and enters the sea between the point of Palmeras and that of Tortuga,
Cruz, Santa, another, of the province and government of Maracaybo. It rises in the sierra of Perija, runs e. and enters the great lake on the w. side.
Cruz, Santa, a lake of the province and country of the Chiquitos Indians in Peru, formed from a drain issuing from the side of the river Paraguay, opposite the cordillera of San Fernando.
Cruz, Santa, a small island of the gulf of California, or Mar Roxo de Cortes; situate near the coast, between the two islands of Catalana and San Joseph.
Cruz, Santa, a small port of the island of Curacao, in the w. part, opposite the island of Oruba.
Cruz, Santa, a mountain on the coast of the Malvine or Falkland isles.
Cruz, Santa, a cape or point of the coast of thx