Pages That Mention Alcaldía mayor de Tlaxcala
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
C R U
C R U
inin, and containing 72 families of Indians, dedicated to the commerce of saltpetre and cochineal. Three leagues to the s. of its head settlement.
Cruz, Santa, another, of the alcaldia mayor of the same kingdom. It contains 36 families of Indians, and is in the boundaries of the jurisdiction of Xalapa.
Cruz, Santa, another, of the head settlement of Chapala, and alcaldia mayor of Zayula, in the same kingdom ; situate on the shore of the great lake or sea of Chapala. It contains 28 families of Indians, who cultivate many seeds and fruits from the fertility and pleasantness of the country; occupying tliemselves also in traffic and in fishing upon the lakes. It is tsvo leagues to the e. of its head settlement.
Cruz, Santa, another, of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits, in the province and government of Mainas of the kingdom of Quito ; situate on the shore of the river Napo.
Cruz, Santa, another, of the head settlement of Cacula, cmA alcaldia mayoral Zayula, in the same kingdom. It contains 50 families of Indians, who employ themselves in agriculture, and in cutting wood upon the mountains of its district. Four leagues between the w. and s. of its head settlement.
Cruz, Santa, another, of tlic missions which W,ere held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits in the province of Tepeguana, and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya ; situate on the shore of the river of Las Nasas.
Cruz, Santa, another, of the nrissions of the
religious order of St. Francis, in the province of Taraumara, of the same kingdom as the former. Eighteen leagues to the s, e. of the real of the mines and town of San Felipe de Chiguagua.
Cruz, Santa, another, called Real de la Cruz, in the province and government of Cartagena, on the shore of the large river Magdalena, and upon an island formed by this river and the w aters of the Dique.
Cruz, Santa, another, of the province and government of Antioquía in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada ; founded on the shore of the river Sinu, with a good port, which serves as an entrepot for goods to be carried to Choco, from whence it lies a three-days journey.
Cruz, Santa, another, of the province and government of Cinaloa in Nueva Espana ; situate at the mouth of the river Mayo, where this enters the California, or Mar Roxo de Cortes. Distinct from another, which is upon a shore of the same river.
(Cruz, a parish of tlie province and government of Buenos Ayres ; situate on a small river running into the Plata, about five leagues n. of the town of imxan, in lat. 31° 16' 22". Long. 59* 23' SO" a'.)
(Cruz, La, a settlement of Indians of the pro3 z
C R U
C R U
vince and government of Buenos Ayres, founded in ]629, in lat. 29° 29' 1" 5.] t])Cruz, Santa, an island oftheN. sea,^one of the Antilles, 22 leagues long and five wide. Its territory is fertile, but the air unhealthy at certain seasons, from the low situation. It has many rivers, streams, and fountains, with three very good and convenient ports. It was for a long while desert, until some English settled themselves in it, and began to cultivate it; afterwards the French possessed themselves of it, in 1650, and sold it the following year to the knights of Malta, from whom it was bought, in 1664, by the West India company. In 1674, it was incorporated with the possessions of the crown by the king of France. Its inhabitants afterwards removed to the island of St. Domingo, demolished the forts, and sold it to a company of Danes, of Copenhagen, who now possess it. It was the first of the Antilles which was occupied by the Spaniards ; is SO leagues
from the island of St. Christopher’s, eight from Puertorico, six from that of Boriquen, and five from that of St. Thomas. It abounds in sugars cane and tobacco, as also in fruits, which render it very delightful. [It is said to produce SO, 000 or 40,000 hhds. of sugar annually, and other W. India commodities, in tolerable plenty. It is in a high state of cultivation, and has about 3000 white inhabitants and 30,000 slaves. A great proportion of the Negroes of this island have embraced Christianity, under the Moravian missionaries, whose influence has been greatly promotive of its prosperity.
The official value of the Imports and Exports of Santa Cruz were, in
1809, imports ^^435,378, exports ^ig84,964.
1810, 422,033, 89,949.
And the quantities of the principal articles im--
ported into Great Britain were, in
Santa Cruz is in lat. 70° 44' n. Long. 64° 43' w. See West Indies.]
Cruz, Santa, a small island in the straits ©f Magellan, opposite cape Monday. The Admiral Pedro Sarmiento took possession of it for the crown of Spain, that making the tenth time of its being captured.
Cruz, Santa, a sand -bank or islet near the n. coast of the island of Cuba, and close to the sandbank of Cumplido.
Cruz, Santa, a point of the coast of the province and government of Honduras, called Triunfo de la Cruz, (Triumph of the Cross), between the port of La Sal and the river Tian, SO leagues from the gulf, in lat. 15° 40'.
Cruz, Santa, a port of the coast which lies between the river La Plata and the straits of Magellan. On one side it has the Ensenada Grande, or Large Bay, and on the other the mountain of Santa Ines. Lat. 50° 10' s.
==Cruz, Santa, a river of the coastwhich lies between the river La Plata and the straits of Magellan. It runs into the sea.
Cruz, Santa, a small river of the province and captainship of Los Ilheos in Brazil. It rises near the coast, runs e. and enters the sea between the Grande and the Dulce, opposite the shoals ofS. Antonio.
Cruz, Santa, another, of the province and captainship of Seara in the same kingdom. It rises near the coast, runs n. and enters the sea between the point of Palmeras and that of Tortuga,
Cruz, Santa, a cape or point of the coast of thx
c y L
linas and that of Chirgua, in the space left by these rivers as they run to enter the Portuguesa.
CULIACAN, a province and alcald'm mayor of the kingdom of Nueva Galicia ; bounded n. and n. e. by the province of Cinaloa, s. by that of Copala, s. w. by the kingdom of Niieva Fizcaya, s. by that of Chiamatlan, and w. by the gulf of California. It is 60 leagues in length and 50 in Avidth. It is fertile, apd abounds in all sorts of productions; is watered by various rivers, particularly the Umaya, Avhich is very large, and in which are caught great quantities offish. It empties itself into the S. sea, in the port of Navitoos. It abounds in various earths, salt, and silver mines, and in many settlements of Mexican Indians, reduced by the missionaries of the religion of St. Francis. The capital is of the same name. Lat.24°58'??.
CULIACAN, with the dedicatory title of San Miguel, a town which was founded by Nunez de Guzman in 1531 ; situate on the banks of a small river, Avhich afterwards unites itself Avith the Umaya. It is 160 leagues from Guadalaxara, and 260 from Mexico. The other settlements of this province are,
CULIACAN, a river of this province (Sonora), which divides the jurisdiction of the same from that of Cinaloa. It runs into the sea at the entrance of the gulf of California, or Mar Roxo de Cortes. At its mouth or entrance are some very dangerous shoals of the same name. See St. Michael.
CULLOUMAS, a settlement of Indians, of ths province and colony of Georgia ; situate on the shore of the river Apalachicola.
CULLURQUI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Cotabambas in Peru, in the vicinity of which, in an estate for breeding cattle, is a poor chapel of Santa Rosa, and near to this two very large rocks, Avhich, being touched with small stones, send forth a sound similar to bells of the best temper and metal.
CULPEPPER, a county in Virginia, between the Blue ridge and the tide waters, which contains 22,105 inhabitants, of whom 8226 are slaves. The court-house of this county is 45 miles from Fredericksburg, and 95 from Charlottesville.]
CULUACAN, San Lucas de, a settlement of the head settlement and alcatdia mayor of Yzucár in Nueva Espana. It contains 50 tamilies of Indians, and Avas formerly the capital of the jurisdiction. Here there still remain some baths of warm water, celebrated for the cure of many infirmities. It is two leagues to the s. Avith a slight inclination to the 5. e. of its head settlement.
CUMA, San Antonio de, a town of the province and captainship of Marañan in Brazil. It contains a good parish-church, two convents of monks, one of the order of Carmen, and the other of La Merced ; and at a short distance from the town is a house Avhich was the residetice of the regulars of the company of .Jesuits. This town belongs to the lordship of the house of Antonio Alburquerque Coello de Carballo. It is three leagues from its capital.