LatAm Digital Edition and Gazetteer

OverviewStatisticsSubjects

The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]

499
Indexed

CON

CON 499

far as the confines of the akaldia mayof of Tepique. It is of an hot temperature, abounding’ in maize, cotton, cocoa-trees, and other fruits peculiar to the climate : and particularly in large and small cattle, which breed in numberless wards and country estates. It has silver mines, which are worked to tolerable profit. It is but thinly peopled, and the greater part of its inhabitants arc Mustees and Negro slaves. It is watered by the river Canas, which rises in the jurisdiction of Acaponeta. The capital is of the same name. This was founded by Nufio de Guzman in 1531, and is the capital of the kingdom, and where the tribunal of royal audience and episcopal see were erected ; these being afterwards removed to the city of Guadalaxara. This latter city was at the same time made the capital, from its proximity to the shore of the S. sea, its distance from the same being only 12 leagues. It was at that time very wealthy, but it afterwards fell to decay ; the primacy was also taken from it, and it is nothing now but a miserable village. Its natives are the most polite and best affected to the Spaniards of any in the whole kingdom. (To the n. w. of Compostela, as well as in the districts of Autlan, Ahuxcatlan, and Acaponeta, a tobacco of a superior quality was formerly cultivated.) Lat. 21° 10' w. Long. 104° 40' w. The settlements of this jurisdiction are,

Matanchel, Sapotan,

San Pedro, Mazatlan,

Cali may a, Xaltocan.

Compostela, another city, in the island of St. Domingo. See Azua.

COMPTON, a settlement of the English, in the province and colony of Massachusetts ; situate on the coast, at the entrance of the bay of Buzard.

COMUATO, a small island of the lake or sea of Chalapa, in the district of the alcaldia mayor of Zamora, and kingdom of Nueva Espana. It is of a hot and moist temperature, surrounded by thick reeds and Indian fig-trees. In the dry season it communicates with the mainland. Its population is scanty, and consists of 20 families of Spaniards, and in its plains various herds of large cattle graze. Nine leagues from the capital.

COMUTA, a city of the province and captainship of Pará in Brazil, founded in 1581 by Juan Pedro de Olivciro, on the e. shore of the river Paeaxa. It is at present destroyed, and some small houses alone remain, where, for the convenienee of its situation, a small garrison of Portuguese resides.

CONAHASET, a rocky shoal of the coast of

the province and colony of New England, at the entrance of port Boston.

CONAICA, a settlement of tlie province and correp;imiento of Angaraez in Peru.

(CONAJOHARY, a post-town on the s. side of Mohawk river, New York, very large, 36 miles above Schenectady, and 318 from Philadelphia. See Canajoiiary.)

CONANAMA, a bay of the province and govenment of Guayana.

CONANAMA, a river of the same name, in this province.

CONARDO-TUBA, a river of the province captainship o^ Los Ilheos in Brazil. It rises near the coast, and runs e. between those of the Duna and Ilheos.

(CONAWANGO, a n. branch of Alleghany river, in Pennsylvania, which rises from Chataughque lake.)

CONCARY, a river of the province and corregimiento of Cuyo in the kingdom of Chile. It rises from a small lake to the e. of the mountain of the Pie de Palo, and running s, e. returns, forming a curve to the w. when it divides itself into several branches.

CONCEPCION, or Penco, a city of the kingdom of Chile, the capital of the province and corregimiento of its name, founded in 1550 by Pedro de Valdivia. Its situation is upon a barren and uneven territory, somewhat elevated, on the sea-shore, and on the side of a large, noble, and convenient bay. On the n. side it is crossed by a rivulet, and on the s. it is watered by the river Andalien, and lies not far from the Biobio. It is a small city, and its houses and buildings are poor and much reduced. It has, besides the cathedral church, convents of the religious orders of St. Francis, St. Domingo, La Merced, St. Augustin, an hospital of San Juan de Dios, and a college w hich belonged to the regulars of the company of the Jesuits, and which is the best building in it. Its climate is moderately warm, although in the winter the cold is great. It abouiids greatly in all kinds of grain, cattle, and delicious fruits, and these are cultivated in gardens which are found attached to almost every house. It lies open on all sides, being commanded by six eminences ; amongst the which the most prominent is that which is called Del Romitorio, and extends as far as the city. Its only defence is a battery on a level with the water, which defends the anchoring ground of the bay. The natives resemble the rest of tliis kingdom : they are strong, robust, valorous, and well made, most dexterous in the 3 s 2

Last edit about 4 years ago by kmr3934
538
Indexed

538

C R U

C R U

vince and government of Buenos Ayres, founded in ]629, in lat. 29° 29' 1" 5.] t])Cruz, Santa, an island oftheN. sea,^one of the Antilles, 22 leagues long and five wide. Its territory is fertile, but the air unhealthy at certain seasons, from the low situation. It has many rivers, streams, and fountains, with three very good and convenient ports. It was for a long while desert, until some English settled themselves in it, and began to cultivate it; afterwards the French possessed themselves of it, in 1650, and sold it the following year to the knights of Malta, from whom it was bought, in 1664, by the West India company. In 1674, it was incorporated with the possessions of the crown by the king of France. Its inhabitants afterwards removed to the island of St. Domingo, demolished the forts, and sold it to a company of Danes, of Copenhagen, who now possess it. It was the first of the Antilles which was occupied by the Spaniards ; is SO leagues

from the island of St. Christopher’s, eight from Puertorico, six from that of Boriquen, and five from that of St. Thomas. It abounds in sugars cane and tobacco, as also in fruits, which render it very delightful. [It is said to produce SO, 000 or 40,000 hhds. of sugar annually, and other W. India commodities, in tolerable plenty. It is in a high state of cultivation, and has about 3000 white inhabitants and 30,000 slaves. A great proportion of the Negroes of this island have embraced Christianity, under the Moravian missionaries, whose influence has been greatly promotive of its prosperity.

The official value of the Imports and Exports of Santa Cruz were, in

1809, imports ^^435,378, exports ^ig84,964.

1810, 422,033, 89,949.

And the quantities of the principal articles im--

ported into Great Britain were, in

Coffee.

Sugar.

Rum.

Cotton Wool.

Brit. Plant.

For. Plant.

Brit. Plant.

For. Plant.

Cwt.

Cwt.

Cwt.

Cwt.

Galls.

Lbs.

1809, 297

1479

280,211

374

181,594

610,903

1810, 31

290,933

236,307

174,294

Santa Cruz is in lat. 70° 44' n. Long. 64° 43' w. See West Indies.]

Cruz, Santa, a small island in the straits ©f Magellan, opposite cape Monday. The Admiral Pedro Sarmiento took possession of it for the crown of Spain, that making the tenth time of its being captured.

Cruz, Santa, a small island of the coast of Brazil, in the province and captainship of Rey, between that coast and the island of Santa Catalina.

Cruz, Santa, a sand -bank or islet near the n. coast of the island of Cuba, and close to the sandbank of Cumplido.

Cruz, Santa, a point of the coast of the province and government of Honduras, called Triunfo de la Cruz, (Triumph of the Cross), between the port of La Sal and the river Tian, SO leagues from the gulf, in lat. 15° 40'.

Cruz, Santa, a port of the coast which lies between the river La Plata and the straits of Magellan. On one side it has the Ensenada Grande, or Large Bay, and on the other the mountain of Santa Ines. Lat. 50° 10' s.

==Cruz, Santa, a river of the coastwhich lies between the river La Plata and the straits of Magellan. It runs into the sea.

Q

Cruz, Santa, a small river of the province and captainship of Los Ilheos in Brazil. It rises near the coast, runs e. and enters the sea between the Grande and the Dulce, opposite the shoals ofS. Antonio.

Cruz, Santa, another, of the province and captainship of Seara in the same kingdom. It rises near the coast, runs n. and enters the sea between the point of Palmeras and that of Tortuga,

Cruz, Santa, another, of the province and government of Maracaybo. It rises in the sierra of Perija, runs e. and enters the great lake on the w. side.

Cruz, Santa, a lake of the province and country of the Chiquitos Indians in Peru, formed from a drain issuing from the side of the river Paraguay, opposite the cordillera of San Fernando.

Cruz, Santa, a small island of the gulf of California, or Mar Roxo de Cortes; situate near the coast, between the two islands of Catalana and San Joseph.

Cruz, Santa, a small port of the island of Curacao, in the w. part, opposite the island of Oruba.

Cruz, Santa, a mountain on the coast of the Malvine or Falkland isles.

Cruz, Santa, a cape or point of the coast of thx

Last edit about 4 years ago by JoshuaOB
Displaying all 2 Page