Pages That Mention Chata-Hatchi
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
C H A
C H A
CHATACANCHA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Huarochiri in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Olleros.
(CHATA-HATCHI, or Hatchi, is the largest river which falls into St. Rose’s bay in W. Florida. It is also called Pea river, and runs from n. e. entering the bottom of the bay through several mouths, but so shoal that only a small boat or canoe can pass them. Mr. Hutchins ascended this river about 25 leagues, where there was a small settlement of Coussac Indians. The soil and timber on the banks of the river resemble very much those of Escambia.)
CHATAHOUCHI, a settlement of Indians of Georgia, in which the English have an establishment. It is situate on the shore of the river Apalachicola.
CHATAS, some islands of the N. sea, which are very small and desert, and lie to the n. of the island of Ynagua.
(CHATAUCHE, or Chatahuthe, a river in Georgia. The n. part of Apalachiola river bears this name. It is about SO rods wide, very rapid, and full of shoals. The lands on its banks are light and sandy, and the clay of a bright red. The lower creeks are settled in scattering clans and villages from the head to the mouth of this river. Their huts and cabins, from the high colour of the clay, resemble clusters of new-burned brick kilns. The distance from this river to the Talapose river, is about 70 miles, by the war-path, which crosses at the falls, just above the town of the Tuckabatches.)
(CHATAUGHQUE Lake, in Ontario county. New York, is about 18 miles long, and three broad. Conewango river, which runs a s. s. e. course, connects it with Alleghany river. Tliis lake is conveniently situated fora communication between lake Erie and the Ohio ; there being water enough for boats from fort Franklin on the Alleghany to the n. w. corner of this lake ; from thence there is a portage of nine miles to Cliatanghque harbour on lake Erie, over ground capable of being made a good waggon road. This communication was once used by the French.)
CHATEAU, a settlement of New France, in which the French have a castle and establishment, on the shore of the river St. Lawrence.
CHATEAUX, a small river of the country and land of Labrador. It runs s. and enters the sea in the strait of Belleisle.
(CHATHAM, a maritime township in Barnstaple county, Massachusetts ; situate on the exterior extremity of the elbow of cape Cod, conve-
niently for the fishery ; in which they have usually about 40 vessels employed. It has 1140 inhabitants, and lies 95 miles s. e. of Boston. See Cape Cod.)
(Chatham, a township in Grafton county, New Hampshire, it Avas incorporated in 1767, and in 1790 contained 58 inhabitants.)
(Chatham, a flourishing township in Middlesex county, Connecticut, on the e. bank of Connecticut river, and opposite Middleton city, it was a part of the township of Middleton till 1767.)
(Chatham, a township in Essex county, N. Jersey, is situated on Passaic river, 13 miles zd. of Elizabethtown, and nearly the same from Newark.)
(Chatham, a township of Columbia county, New York. By the state census of 1796, 380 of its inhabitants were electors.)
(Chatham County, in Hillsborough district, N. Carolina, about the centre of the state. It contains 9221 inhabitants, of whom 1632 are slaves. Chief town, Pittsburg. The court-house is a few miles w. of Raleigh, on a branch of Cape Fear river.)
(Chatham, a town of S. Carolina, in Cheraws district ; situate in Chesterfield county, on the w. side of Great Pedee river. Its situation, in a highly cultivated and rich country, and at the head of a navigable river, bids fair to render it a place of great importance. At present it has only about 30 houses, lately built.)
(Chatham County, in the lower district of Georgia, lies in the n. e. corner of the state, having the Atlantic ocean e. and Savannah river n. e. It contains 10,769 inhabitants., including 8201 slaves. The chief toAvn is Savannah, tlie former capital of the state.)
(Chatham or Punjo Bay, a large bay on the w. side of the s. end of the promontory of E. Florida. It receives North and Delaware rivers.)
(Chatham House, in the territory of the Hudson bay company. Lat. 55° 28' n. Long. 97* 32' w. from Greenwich.)
CHAUCA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Guarochiri in Peru; annexed to the curacy of Casta.
Chauca, another settlement, in the province and corregimiento of Canta ; annexed to the curacy of Pari.
CHAUCAIAN, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Huailas in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Caxacai, in the province of Caxatambo.
CHAUCHILLOS, a settlement of the province