Pages That Mention Guauchinango
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
This page is not corrected, please help correct this page
C H A
lar way by a river of its name. It abounds in large alligators and mosquitoes, which render its navigation very troublesome. Its shores are covered with beautiful trees, which are inhabited by a variety of birds and apes of several species, which make an incredible chattering and noise. It was by this river that the pirate John Morgan came when he took and sacked Panama in 1670. It was discovered by Hernando de la Serma in 1527, when he called it the river of Lagartos, but its mouth was before discovered by Lope de Olano in 1510. Here are found, at certain seasons, a very small fish of the size of a pin, called titles, and these are so abundant, that putting into the water a large basket, it is certain to be drawn out full ; they are fried, and make very savoury fritters.
CHAGRE, with the dedicatory title of San Lorenzo, a settlement of the same province and kingdom ; situate upon the top of a mountain at the entrance or mouth of the former river. It has for its defence a strong castle, which was built by the order of Philip 11. by the famous engineer J uan Bautista Antoneli. This was taken by the pirate John Morgan, after having made a glorious defence, in 1668, when the settlement was burnt and sacked ; and in 1740 it was taken by the English, commanded by Admiral Vernon, who entirely destroyed it ; its loss in that war being supplied by two strong batteries, which hindered the English from making a breach, for the third time, when they came with three frigates of war : but they were driven back by Captain Don Juan de Hermida, who was formerly captain of the regiment of Granada. In 1752 this castle was rebuilt, in the most perfect manner, by the lieutenant-general and engineer Don Ignatio de Sala, governor of Cartagena, who came hither for this purpose by order of the king. In this fortress several personages of distinction' have been held prisoners, ami amongst others the Marquis of La Mina, ])resiilent, governor, and captain-general of the kingiUmi in 1694. Is 13 leagues from Portobelo.
CHAGUANES, an island of the river Orinoco, formed at its entrance into the sea by various canals or arms, is large and inhabited by Indians of the Mariussa nation.
CHAGUARAMA, a settlement of the province and government of Venezuela, situate on the confines of the province of Cumana, near the river Manapire.
CHAGUARAMA, a bay on the coast of the province of Cumaná, on the n. e. side ; being formed by the island of Trinidad, and by the mouths of
the channels of the Orinoco as far as the gulf Triste.
CHAGUAREM, a small river of the province and government of Venezuela, which runs s. and enters that of Los Aceytes.
CHAHUALTEPEQUE, Santiago de, a settlement of the district and alcaldía mayor of Mexilcaltzingo in Nueva España. It contains 138 families of Indians, and is three leagues from its capital.
CHAHUANTLA, a small settlement or ward of the alcaldía mayor of Guauchinango in Nueva España ; annexed to the curacy of Naupan.
CHAIALA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Chayanta or Charcas in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Pocoata.
CHAILLON, Cabo de, a cape on the e. coast of lake Superior, in New France.
CHAINAR, a settlement of the province and government of Tucumán ; situate on the shore of the river San Miguel.
CHAIPI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Parinacochas in Peru, annexed to the curacy of the corregimiento of Pullo ; in which was venerated, ever since the time of the conquest, a beautiful image of the Virgen del Rosario, which, with the temple, was burnt a few years since, and the parishioners being much afflicted at their loss, the Marquis of Selva Alegre, president of Quito, sent them another equal to the first : at the celebration of the festival people assemble from all the neighbouring districts.
CHAIUIN, a river of the province and government of Valdivia in the kingdom of Chile, which runs s. e. and enters Valdivia near its entrance into the sea.
CHALA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Cumaná in Peru.
Chala, with the distinction of Alta, another settlement of the province and corregimiento of Saña in the same kingdom , situate on the shore of the river Chicama.
CHALA, another, with the addition of Baxa, in the same kingdom and province; situate near the former.
CHALA, a large and beautiful valley on the sea shore, in the province and corregimiento of Cumaná.
CHALA, a small port, frequented only by fishermen, in the same province and corregimiento.
CHALACOS, a settlement and asiento of the silver mines of the province and corregimiento of Piura in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Huancabamba.
==CHALALA, a large river of the Nuevo Reyno
C H I
in Nueva Espana, is of a mild temperature ; situate in a pleasant and fertile plain, and one which abounds in maize, wheat, and other seeds. It contains S68 families of Indians, 13 of Spaniards, and a convent of the religious order of St. Francis; is one league n. of its capital,
Chiautla, with the addition of La Sal, another settlement, the capital of its jurisdiction, in the same kingdom, thus called from the salt mines found in it formerly, and from which the inhabitants used to derive a great commerce. At present it is in a thorough state of decay, not only as its trade has fallen off in the other provinces ; but as the Indians have applied themselves rather to the cultivation of the soil and the planting of fruits and pulse, from the traffic of which they derive their maintenance. It is inhabited by 650 families of Mexican Indians, and 40 of Spaniards, J\/us~ iees, and Mulattoes. It contains a convent of the religious order of St. Augustin. The jurisdiction is so much reduced that it is not more than five leagues in length and three in width, void of commerce, and has but a small revenue. Its inhabitants, although they are somewhat given to the breeding of small cattle, yet this must hardly be considered with them a branch of commerce, since they have scarcely enough of these wherewith to support theiiiselves. It contains only two other settlements, and these are,
|Forty-five leagues s. e.||to the s. w. of Mexico.|
CHIBATA, a settlement of the . province and corregimiento of Tunja in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada, and the head settlement of the corregimiento of Indies, is of a very cold and fresh temperature, abounding in productions, and particularly in cattle, from the fleeces and hides of which are made quantities of blankets, linen cloths, and other articles for garments. It may contain about 200 Indians, and it is eight leagues to the n. e. of Tunja, lying between this latter place and the settlement of Siachoque.
CHIBAI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Collahuas in Peru.
CHICA, an island of the N. sea, one of the Lucayas ; situate between the islands Siguate and St. Andrew. The English gave it the name of Little.
CHICACHAE, a settlement of the province and government of Louisiana or S. Carolina, in which the English have a fort and establishment to carry
on commerce with the Indians, is situated on the shore of the river Sonlahove.
CHICACHAS, a settlement of Indians of this nation, in the territory thus called, where the English have an establishment or factory for commerce.
CHICAGOU, a port of Canada, on the w. side of the lake Michigan.
Chicagou, a river of the same province and government, which runs s. then ?i. e. and enters the former port.
CHICAHOMINI, a river of the province and colony of Virginia, runs s.e. and turning its course to the s. enters the Thames.
CHICAHUASCO, a settlement of the head settlement of Huipuxtla, and alcaldia mayor of Tepetango, in Nueva Espana, contains 72 families of Indians.
CHICAHUASTEPEC, San Miguel de, a settlement of the head settlement of Zoyaltepec, and alcaldia mayor of Yanguitlan. It contains 48 families of Indians, and is 10 leagues from its head settlement.
CHICAHUAZTLA, San Andres de, a settlement and head settlement of the alcaldia mayor of Tepozcolula, in the province and bishopric of Oaxaca, in the kingdom of Nueva Espana, is of a cold temperature, inhabited by 332 families of Indians, including those of the settlements or wards of its district, and they maintain themselves by bartering cotton garments for salt on the coast of Xicayan ; 12 leagues s. w. of its capital.
Chicahuaztla, another, a small settlement or ward of the alcaldia mayor of Guachinango in the same kingdom ; annexed to the curacy of that of Tlaola.
CHICAMA, a large, fertile, and beautiful valley of the province and corregimiento of Truxillo in Peru. It was one of the most populous in the times of the gentilisra of the Indians, owing to its agreeable and benign temperature : is watered by a river of its name, which divides it from that of Chimu. In 1540, the friar Domingo de Santo Tomas founded here a convent of his order, for the instruction of the Indians, which immediately was turned into a priory and a house for noviciates. It is at present, however, fallen into decay, through the ravages of time. This valley is six leagues from the capital, to the n. in the road which leads to the provinces of Quito, Sana, and Piura.
Chicama, a river of this province and corregimiento. It rises in the province of Guamachuco, from two very lofty mountains, called Y ulcaguanca and Yanaguanca, to the n. e . ; and waters and fer-
C O Q C O Q
tifni appearance. A mountain similar to this is found in the marshes of Maule.]
Copiapo, a river Avhich rises in the cordillera. It runs two leagues to the w. passes near the settlement of its name, and empties itself into the S. sea, serving as a port for vessels.
Morro de Copiapo, a mountain, called Morro de Copiapo, in the coast, at the side of the port of its name.
COPILA, a small settlement or ward of the alcaldia mayor of Guachinango in Nueva Espana ; annexed to the curacy of Naupan.
COPORAQUE, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Canes and Canches or Tinta in Peru.
COPORAQUE, another, in the province and corregimiento of Collahuas of the same kingdom.
COPORAQUE, another. See Vilcomayo.
(COPPER Mine, a large river of New Britain, reckoned to be the most n. in N. America. Taking a n. course, it falls into the sea in lat, 19P n. and about long. 119° a;, from Greenwich. The accounts brought by the Indians of this river to the Rritish ports in Hudson bay, and the specimens of copper produced by them, induced Mr. Hearne to set out from fort Prince of Wales, in December 1770, on a journey of discovery. He reached the river on the 14th July, at 40 miles distance from the sea, and found it all the way encumbered with shoals and falls, and emptying itself into it over a dry flat of the shore, the tide being then out, which seemed by the edges of the ice to rise about 12 or 14 feet. This rise, on account of the falls, will carry it but a very small way within the river’s mouth ; so that the water in it has not the least brackish taste, Mr. Hearne had the most extensive view of the sea, which bore n. w. by w. and n. e. when he was about eight miles up the river. The sea at the river’s mouth was full of islands and shoals ; but the ice was only thawed away about three-fourths of a mile from the shore, on the 17th of July. The Esquimaux had a quantity of whale-bone and seal-skins at their tents on the shore.)
COPTA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Aricá in Peru.
COPTOS, silver mines of the province and corregimiento of Guamachuco in Peru ; they are most abundant, and have yielded immense wealth.
COPUENO, a settlement of the province and government of Quixos and Macas in the kingdom of Quito.
COQUEROSO, a settlement of the province and captainship of Sergipe in Brazil ; situate on the shore of the river Cirti.
COQUE-UIELLE, a shoal of the n. coast of the island of St. Domingo, in the French possessions, between the point Roche-a-Picoler and the river Grande.
COQUIBACOA, Cabo de, a point of land which runs into the sea, on the coast of the province and government of Venezuela, distinct from that of Chichibacoa. ‘
COQUIMBO, a province and corregimiento of the kingdom of Chile ; bounded e. by the province of Tucuman, of the kingdom of Peru, tho cordillera running between ; s. by the province of Quillota; and w. by the Pacific ocean. It is 80 leagues in length s. and 40 in width e, w. Its temperature is very benign ; and on account of its not raining much in the sierra,, through the low situation of this part of the province, the snow and frost is not so common here, nor does it stay upon the ground so long as it does upon the parts which lie s. of Santiago. For the same reason the rivers are few, and th# largest of them are those of Los Santos or Limari, and that which passes through its capital. Many huanmos and vicunas breed here. The territory is for the most part broken and uneven, and produces, although not in abundance, the same fruits as in the whole kingdom, such as grain, wine, and oil of excel* lent quality. It has many gold mines, likewise some of silver, copper, lead, sulphur, white lime, and salt ; but the most abundant of all are those of copper; large quantities of this metal having been sent to Spain for founding artillery, and indeed from the same source has been made all the artillery in this kingdom. This metal is found of two sorts, one which is called campanal, and is only fit for founding, and the other, which has a mixture of gold, and is called de labrar,, or working metal, and which is known only in this province. Here also they make large quantities of rigging for ships. Its inhabitants may amount to 15,000. [In this province is found tlie quisco tree, with thorns of eight inches long ; the same being used by the natives for knitting needles. It is noted for producing the best oysters, and for a resin which is yielded from the herb chilca. See Chieb.] The capital bears the same name, or that of La Serena. This was the second settlement of the kingdom, and founded by the order of Pedro de Valdivia, by Captain Juan Bohon, in 1543, in the valley of Cuquimpi, which gave it its name, and which, being corrupted, is now called Coquimbo, and El Segundo de la Serena, in memory of the country of Valdivia in Estremadura. It lies at a quarter of a league’s distance from the sea, and is situate