The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
caldia mayor of Zacattan, in Nueva España, five leagues from its head settlement.
CAXICA, or Busongote, a settlement of the corregimiento of Zipaquira in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada, is of a moderately cold temperature, being agreeable and healthy, and producing much wheat, maize, barley, and other productions incidental to a cold climate. Its population amounts to 150 families, and as many families of Indians, who had in it a capital fortress, in which the Zipa or king of Bogota shut himself up in order to defend the entrance into his kingdom against the Spaniards: he was, however, routed and taken by Gonzalo Ximenez de Quesada in 1537. Is five leagues to the n. of Santa Fe.
CAXITITLAN, the alcaldia mayor and district or jurisdiction of the kingdom of Nueva Galicia, and bishopric of Guadalaxara : in its district is a large, fertile valley, abounding in every kind of seed, as maize, wheat, French beans, and various sorts of pulse : is of a mild temperature, and the district of its jurisdiction consists of six settlements : in it is the great lake or sea of Chapala : it is seven leagues s, e. of Guadalaxara. Long. 102° 43'. Lat. 20° 35'.
San Luis, Istahuacan,
Cuyatan, Santa Cruz,
CAXITLAN, a settlement of the head settlement of Almololoyan, and alcaldia mayor of Colina, in Nueva España : it contains 30 families of Spaniards, 20 of Mustees, and five of Mulattoes : in its district are various estates of palms of Cocos, (palmasde Qocos)^ and some herds of large cattle : is seven leagues to the w. of its head settlement.
(CAYAHAGA, or Cayuga, sometimes called the Great River, empties in at the s. bank of lake Erie, 40 miles e. of the mouth of Huron ; having an Indian town of the same name on its banks. It is navigable for boats ; and its mouth is wide, and deep enough to receive large sloops from the lake. Near this are the celebrated rocks which project over the lake. They are several miles in lengtl), and rise 40 or 50 feet perpendicular out of the water. Some parts of them consist of several strata of different colours, lying in a horizontal direction, and so exactly parallel, that they resemble the work of art. The view from the land is grand, but the water presents the most magnificent prospect of this sublime work of nature ; it is attended, however, with great danger ; for if the least storm Arises, the force of the surf is such that no vessel
can escape being dashed to pieces against the rocks . Colonel Broadshead suffered shipwreck here in the late war, and lost a number of his men, when a strong wind arose, so that the last canoe narrowly escaped. The heathen Indians, when they pass this impending danger, offer a sacrifice of tobacco to the water. Part of the boundary line between the United States of America and the Indians begins at the mouth of Cayahaga, and run‘< up the same to the portage between that and the Tuscarawa branch of the Muskingum. The Cayuga nation, consisting of 500 Indians, 40 of whom reside in the United States, the rest in Canada, receive of the state of New York an annuity of 2300 dollars, besides 50 dollars granted to one of their chiefs, as a consideration for lands sold by them to the state, and 500 dollars from the United States, agreeably to the treaty of 1794. See Six Nations.)
CAYENNE, a large island of the province and government of Guayana : it is six leagues in length from n. to s. and three quarters of a league in its broadest part. On the n. side it has the sea, on the VO . the river Cayenne, on thee, the Ou>ti, and on the s. an arm which is formed by this and the Orapii. The soil is excellent, fertile, and irrigated by many streams. That part whicli looks to the n. is the most pleasant and healthy ; and in it are many mountains well cultivated and covered with country seats. The part facing the s. is much lower, and abounds in meadows, called salanas, and which arc inundated in the rainy seasons. The point of the island formed by the mouth of the river Cayenne, is called Caperoux, where there is a fortress with a French garrison, and below this a convenient and large port, capable of containing in security 100 ships. The French established themselves in this island in the year 1625, and abandoned it in 1654, when the English entered it, and were routed by Mr. de la Barre, in the year 1664. The Dutch had their revenge in 1676 : but the year following it was recovered by the French, under the command of D’Estrees, on whom the celebrated Jesuit Carlos de la Rue made the following inscription :
Vice Ameralio Cayana. Tabaco VI. Captis Batavorum Americana classe deleta
[The capitulation of Cayenne to the English arms, in conjunction with the Portuguese, took
C U I
C U I
country of Las Amazonas. It flows in the territory of the Carigueres or Mutuanis Indians, runs c. and enters the Madera opposite the great cataract.
CUIAPAN, a settlement of the head settlement of Atoyaque, and alcaldia mayor of Zayula, in Nueva Espana. It contains 70 families of Indians, who live by agriculture and making coarse stuffs. It is one league to the s. of its head settlement.
CUIAUTEPEC, Santiago de, a settlement of the head settlement of Olinala, and alcaldia mayor of Tlapa, in Nueva Espana. It contains 32 families of Indians, and is two leagues to the n. c. of its head settlement.
CUIAUTEPEC, another settlement of the head settlement of Ayotitlan, and alcaldia mayor of Amola, in the same kingdom. It contains 13 families of Indians, who live by agriculture and breeding cattle; is 10 leagues to the w, of its head settlement.
CUICATLAN, the alcaldia mayor of the province and bishopric of Mechoacan. It is 19 leagues in length from e. to w. and 1 1 in width n. s. It is of a hot temperature, abounds in saltpetre, scarlet-dye, and cotton, of which beautiful ornamental dresses are made ; these being the principal source of its commerce. The capital is the settlement of the same name, inhabited by 125 families of Cuicatecos Indians, who cultivate great quantities of maize, French beans, and cotton. It is 70 leagues to the e. with a slight inclination to the s. of Mexico. The other settlements of this district are,
Nacantepec==, Santa Ana]],
==CUICEO=, (Of the lake), the alcaldia mayor of
the province and bishopric of Mechoacan ; bounded c. by the province of Acambaro ; n. by that of Zelaya; nc. by that of Pasquaro ; and s. by that of Valladolid. It is in length eight leagues from e. to w. and five in width «. s. It is surrounded by a lake of wholesome water, which gives its name to the jurisdiction, and which, towards the n. part, becomes dry in the summer season, its waters being supplied from certain drains from another large lake which lies on its s. side. The temperature here is, for the most part, mild and dry, and the place abounds with salutary waters, which bubble out from a fountain in an island of the above mentioned lake. Its commerce is very small, since it produces only maize, French beans, and Chile pepper, and a kind of fish found in great abundance in both the lakes, called charaes.
The capital is the settlement of the same name ; situate in front of the island formed by the lake.. It contains a convent of the religious order of St. Augustin, and 190 families of Indians, including those of the wards of its district, 72 of Spaniards, 11 of Mulattoes, and 43 of Mustees. It is 50 leagues to the w, of Mexico. The other settlements are,
CUICOCHA, a large lake of the province and corregimiento of Octavalo in the kingdom of Quito, surrounded by living stone. To the e. it has a rock, where it forms a streamlet, which afterwards enters the river Blanco. It does not appear to receive its waters from any source, and i« thought to be filled through subterraneous aqueducts from the mountain of Cota-cacbe, which is covered with eternal snow. In the middle of this lake rise two hills, which have the appearance of two beautiful isles, the one being covered with trees, and filled with stags and mountain goats, and the other being bedecked with a herb calledp^jow, amongst which thrive many Indian rabbits, which, in the language of the country, are called cuy^ and from thence the name of Cuy-cocha, which means the lake of Indian rabbits. The water which runs between the two islands, forms a channel of 3000 fathoms. This lake belongs to the noble family of the Chiribogas of Quito.