346

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Show Translation

346

CAY

CAY

caldia mayor of Zacattan, in Nueva España, five
leagues from its head settlement.

CAXIBARI, a settlement of the province and
captainship of Itamaraca in Brazil, situate near the
s. side of the town of La Concepcion.

CAXICA, or Busongote, a settlement of the
corregimiento of Zipaquira in the Nuevo Reyno
de Granada, is of a moderately cold temperature,
being agreeable and healthy, and producing much
wheat, maize, barley, and other productions inci
dental to a cold climate. Its population amounts
to 150 families, and as many families of Indians,
who had in it a capital fortress, in which the Zipa
or king of Bogota shut himself up in order to de
fend the entrance into his kingdom against the
Spaniards: he was, however, routed and taken by
Gonzalo Ximenez de Quesada in 1537. Is five
leagues to the n. of Santa Fe.

CAXITITLAN, the alcaldia mayor and dis
trict or jurisdiction of the kingdom of Nueva Ga
licia
, and bishopric of Guadalaxara : in its district
is a large, fertile valley, abounding in every kind of
seed, as maize, wheat, French beans, and various
sorts of pulse : is of a mild temperature, and the
district of its jurisdiction consists of six settlements :
in it is the great lake or sea of Chapala : it is seven
leagues s, e. of Guadalaxara. Long. 102° 43'. Lat.
20° 35'.

San Luis, Istahuacan,

Cuyatan, Santa Cruz,

Coscomatitlan, Axixiqui.

CAXITLAN, a settlement of the head settle
ment of Almololoyan, and alcaldia mayor of Colina,
in Nueva España : it contains 30 families of Spa
niards, 20 of Mustees, and five of Mulattoes : in
its district are various estates of palms of Cocos,
(palmasde Qocos)^ and some herds of large cattle :
is seven leagues to the w. of its head settlement.

(CAYAHAGA, or Cayuga, sometimes called
the Great River, empties in at the s. bank of lake
Erie, 40 miles e. of the mouth of Huron ; having
an Indian town of the same name on its banks. It
is navigable for boats ; and its mouth is wide, and
deep enough to receive large sloops from the lake.
Near this are the celebrated rocks which project
over the lake. They are several miles in lengtl),
and rise 40 or 50 feet perpendicular out of the
water. Some parts of them consist of several strata
of different colours, lying in a horizontal direction,
and so exactly parallel, that they resemble the
work of art. The view from the land is grand,
but the water presents the most magnificent pros
pect of this sublime work of nature ; it is attended,
however, with great danger ; for if the least storm
Arises, the force of the surf is such that no vessel

can escape being dashed to pieces against the rocks .
Colonel Broadshead suffered shipwreck here in the
late war, and lost a number of his men, when a
strong wind arose, so that the last canoe narrowly
escaped. The heathen Indians, when they pass
this impending danger, offer a sacrifice of tobacco
to the water. Part of the boundary line between
the United States of America and the Indians
begins at the mouth of Cayahaga, and run‘< up the
same to the portage between that and the Tuscarawa
branch of the Muskingum. The Cayuga nation,
consisting of 500 Indians, 40 of whom reside in the
United States, the rest in Canada, receive of the
state of New York an annuity of 2300 dollars, be
sides 50 dollars granted to one of their chiefs, as a
consideration for lands sold by them to the state,
and 500 dollars from the United States, agreeably
to the treaty of 1794. See Six Nations.)

CAYENNE, a large island of the province and
government of Guayana : it is six leagues in length
from n. to s. and three quarters of a league in its
broadest part. On the n. side it has the sea, on
the VO . the river Cayenne, on thee, the Ou>ti, and
on the s. an arm which is formed by this and the
Orapii. The soil is excellent, fertile, and irrigated
by many streams. That part whicli looks to the
n. is the most pleasant and healthy ; and in it are
many mountains well cultivated and covered with
country seats. The part facing the s. is much
lower, and abounds in meadows, called salanas,
and which arc inundated in the rainy seasons.
The point of the island formed by the mouth of
the river Cayenne, is called Caperoux, where there
is a fortress with a French garrison, and below this
a convenient and large port, capable of containing
in security 100 ships. The French established
themselves in this island in the year 1625, and
abandoned it in 1654, when the English entered
it, and were routed by Mr. de la Barre, in the year
1664. The Dutch had their revenge in 1676 : but
the year following it was recovered by the French,
under the command of D’Estrees, on whom the ce
lebrated Jesuit Carlos de la Rue made the following
inscription :

Joanni

Comiti Eslrceo

Vice Ameralio
Cayana. Tabaco
VI. Captis
Batavorum
Americana classe
deleta

Colonii. excisis.

[The capitulation of Cayenne to the English
arms, in conjunction with the Portuguese, took

Page Notes

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page