LatAm Digital Edition and Gazetteer

OverviewStatisticsSubjects

The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]

339
Indexed

CAT

CAT 339

CATAMARCA, S. Fernando de, a city of the province and government of Tucumán, founded by Juan Gomez Zurita, in 1538, in the fertile and extensive valley of Conando. It has a fort to repress the encroachments of the Indians. The name of Canete was given it in honour to the viceroy who then commanded in Peru ; this was afterwards changed to London, in honour to the queen of England, wife of Philip II. king of Spain. The inquietudes caused amongst the inhabitants by the infidel Indians induced Don Geronimo Luis de Cabrera, son of a governor of that province, in 1663, to remove it to another not less fertile valley, and to give it the name of San J uan de la Rivero ; and lastly, by the permission of the king, in 1683, it was transferred to a spot in the valley of Catamarca ; where it still remains, under the same title, at 80 leagues distance from its first station. It has, besides the parish church, a convent of the Recoletos monks of St. Francis, with the dedicatory title of San Pedro de Alcantara ; an hospital of Merced ; aud a house of residence, which formerly belonged to the regulars of the company of Jesuits. On the w. side of the valley is a mountain in which there are gold mines ; and on the w. also from n. to s. runs a serrama^ the skirts of which are for many leagues covered with estates and cultivated grounds, and filled, from the abundance of fine pastures, with lage and small cattle and with mules. A tolerably large river runs through the valley in the rainy season, and terminates in some lakes M’hich are formed by it about 30 leagues s. of the city. The commerce of this city is very small, so that there is no coin current ; and even the payments of the royal duties are paid in effects, and in the productions of the country, such as cotton, linens, pepper, brandy, and wheat. Lat. 27° s.

Catamarca, a settlement of the same province and government ; situate in the district of this city.

CATAMBUCU, a settlement of the province and government of Popayán in the kingdom of Quito.

CATAN, San Francisco de, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Caxamarca in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Chetu.

CATANERA, an ancient province of Peru, in that of Condesuyos, in which dwelt the nation of the Quechuas. It was subjected to the empire by the Inca Capac Y upanqui, fifth Emperor.

CATANIAPU, a river of the province and government of Guayana or Nueva Andalucia. It rises to the s. of the settlement of San Joseph de

Mapoyes, runs w. and enters the Orinoco close to the torrent of Los Atures.

CATAPUIN, San Juan de, a settlement of the province and government of Quixos y Macas in the kingdom of Quito.

CATARAQUA, or Catarakui, a copious river of the province and country of the Iroquees Indians. It rises from the lake Ontario, runs n. e. and continues its course as far as Quebec, from whence it takes the name of St. Lawrence, and then enters the sea.

Cataraqua, a bay on the n. coast of lake Ontario, in New France or Canada.

CATARUBEN, a settlement of the missions of San Juan de los Llanos in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada ; one of the seven which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits, and belonging to the nation of the Salivas Indians. The Caribes burnt and destroyed it in 1684.

CATAROSI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Aymaraez in Peru; annexed to the curacy of Pampamarca.

CATAS-ALTAS, a settlement or village of the Portuguese, in the province and captainship of Espiritu Santo, and kingdom of Brazil ; situate on the shore of the river Doce or Dulce.

CATAUBA, a river of Virginia, which runs n. e. and enters the Thames.

Catauba, another river in S. Carolina, which runs s. e. and enters the Watery.

(CATAWESSY, a township in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania ; situate on the s. e. bank of the e. branch of Susquehannah river, opposite the mouth of Fishing creek, and about 20 miles n. e. of Sunbury.)

CATCA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Paucartambo in Peru.

CATCH, or Boutin, a port of the coast of Nova Scotia, between the bay of Cheboucto and tbe island of Samborough.

CATEMU, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Quillota in the kingdom of Chile, on the shore of the river Quillota.

(CATHANCE, or Cathants, a small river in Lincoln county, Maine, which rises in Topsham, and empties into Merry Meeting bay, and has several mills upon it.)

(CATHERINE’S Isle, St, a small island in the captainship of St. Vincent’s in Brazil, belonging to the Portuguese, 47 leagues s. of Cananea island. It is about 23 miles from n. to s. inhabited by Indians, wiio assist the Portuguese against their enemies, the natives of Brazil. Lak 27° 10' s. Long. 47° 15' w.)

X X 2

Last edit about 3 years ago by kmr3934
Displaying 1 Page