The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
in beautiful singing birds ; and in its rivers are many sorts of fish of a fine flavour, particularly the patah. It is not without mines of gold, and laba~ deros or washing places, but these are not worked, save by a few day-labourers. In the church of the monks of San Francisco is venerated an image of the most Holy Mary, with the title of La Probezuy painted on a piece of cotton-stuff, adorned with two fine pieces of silver, the natives payitig great devotion to this superb work, from the wonderful things that have been said to have been effected through the prayers offered up to her of whom this is the semblance. This city has been the native place of,
Don Melchor de Salazar, governor of Choco, and founder of the city Toro.
Of the Doctor Don Francisco Martinez Bueno, presbyter and visitor of the bishopric of Popayan ; a man of great literature.
Of the Doctor Don Manuel de Castro y Rada ; a most exemplary curate.
Of the Father Joseph Vicuna, who, after having been a celebrated Jesuit, became a monk in the college of missions for propagating the faith in Popayan, and died whilst preaching to the Andaquies Indians.
Of the Father Estevan de Rivas, who, after having filled the title of jurist with great credit, became a Franciscan monk, and died an exemplary penitent in his convent at Cartagena.
Of the Doctor Don Francisco Felipe del Campo, professor de prima of canons in the university of Santa Fe ; a celebrated orator.
Of the Doctor Don Geronirao de Rivas, treasurer and dignitary of the holy church of Popayan, provisor and ecclesiastical governor of that bishopric.
Of the Doctor Don Joseph de Renteria, assessor of the viceroyalties of Santa Fe and Lima, honorary oidor of the audience of Charcas : all of whom have borne testimony to the clearness and acuteness of their understandings and excellence of their dispositions. But for all the information on these subjects, we have to thank Don Manuel del Carapo, the son of the last mentioned, who resides in this court, and to whom the merits thus severally applied, unitedly belong.
The arms of this city are three imperial crowns with a sun, and its inhabitants amount to about 5000 or 6000 : 25 leagues n. e. of Popayan, in 4° 46' n. lat.
Cartago, another capital city, of the province of Costa Rica, in the kingdom of Guatemala, situate 10 leagues from the coast of the N. sea, and 17 from that of the S. in each of which it has a good port ; it was formerly rich and flourishing, on account of its commerce w ith Panama, Cartagena, Portobclo, and the Havanah ; but it is at the present day reduced to a miserable village of very few inhabitants, and without any commerce. It has, besides the parish church, a convent of monks of St. Francis, and is in 9° 42' s. lat.
Cartago, a river of the same province and government as is the former city : it runs w. and enters the S.sea, in the port of La Herradura.
Carteret, a cape or extremity of the coast of the same province, and one of those which form Long bay. See Roman.
CARUALLEDA, Nuestra Senora de, a city of the province and government of Venezuela, in the kingdom of Tierra Firme ; founded by Francis Faxardo in 1568, and not in 1560, as according to Coleti : it has a small but insecure port. The town is also a miserable place, having suffered much injury, a short time after its foundation, by the violent disturbances caused in its neighbourhood by the Governor Don Luis de Roxas : 80 leagues e. of Coro.