The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
Rio Negro, on a great island formed by this river and that of Pasimoni.
Carlos, San, a settlement (with the surname of Real) of the province and government of Buenos Ayres ; situate on the shore of the river La Plata, near the colony of Sacramento, which belonged to the Portuguese. In its vicinty, on the n. n. e. part, there is a lake of very good sweet water.
Carlos, San, a valley in the province and government of Tucumán, which is very fertile in vines, wheat, maize, carob-trees, tar, and in birds and animals of the chase. Its natives are those who most of all infested the Spaniards when they conquered this province.
Carlos, San, another, of the province and country of Las Amazonas ; a reduccion of the missions which were held there by the regulars of the society of Jesuits. It lies between the rivers Araucaso and Shiquita, in the territory of the Cahumaris Indians.
Carlos, San, some sierras or mountains, called De Don Carlos, in the province and captainship of Rey in Brazil. They run parallel to the sierra of Los Difuntos, in the extremity of the coast formed by the mouth of the river La Plata.
CARLOSAMA, a large settlement of Indians of the province and corregimiento of Pastes in the kingdom of Quito, on the 5. shore of the river of its name. Its territory is most fertile, but the climate is very cold, and the streets almost always
Impassable. It is to the zo. n. zo. of the settlement of Ipialos, and e. n. e. of that of Cumbal.
CARMEN, a river of the province and colony of Surinam, in the part of Guayana possessed by the Dutch. It rises in the sierra of Rinocote, runs from w. to e. and gathering the waters of many others, enters in a large body into the Mazarroni.
Carmen, a settlement of the province and government of Cartagena ; situate in the district of the mountains of Marca, between those of San Jacinto and San Francisco de Asis. It is one of those new settlements that were founded by the Govemor Don Juan Pimienta in 1776.
Carmen, another, in the same kingdom ; situate near a stream and on the shore of the river Tocantines, on the e. side, and not far from the Arrayal of San Feliz.
C E R
ters the sea between the river Rosa and the settlement and parisli of Cul de Sac.
CERINZA, a settlement of the corregimiento of Tunja in tlie Nuevo Reyno de Granada, is of a cold temperature, and abounds in cattle and the productions peculiar to the climate. It contains 300 families, and lies in a valley, from which it takes its name.
CERMEN, a settlement of the province and government of Venezuela ; situate on the side of the town of San Felipe, towards the e. between this town and the settlement of Agua Culebras, on the shore of the river Iraqui.
CERRALUO, a town and presidency of the Nuevo Reyno de Leon, garrisoned by a squadron of 12 soldiers and a captain, who is governor of this district, for the'purpose of restraining the bordering infidel Indians. Between the e. and n. is the large river of this name ; and from this begins a tract of extensive country, inhabited by barbarous nations, who impede the communication and commerce Avith regard to this part and the provinces of Tejas and Nuevas Felipinas. Is 35 leagues to the e. of its capital.
Cerraluo, a bay of the coast and gulf of California, or Mar Roxo de Cortes, opposite an island which is also thus called ; the one and theother having been named out of compliment to the Marquis of Cerraluo, viceroy of Nueva Espana. TJie aforesaid island is large, and lies between the former bay and the coast of Nueva Espana.
Cerrito, another, with the surname of Santa Ana. See Ctuayaquie.
==Cerro, another, called San Miguel de Cerro Gordo==, which is a garrison of the province of Tepeguana in the kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya. Its situation is similar to the road which leads to it, namely, a plain level surface ; although, indeed, it is divided by a declivity, in ivhich there is a pool of water, and by Avhich passengers usually pass. This garrison is the residence of a captain, a Serjeant , and 28 soldiers, who are appointed to suppress the sallies of the infidel Indians. In its vicinity is a cultivated estate, having a beautiful orchard, abounding in fruit-trees and in zepas, which also produce fruit of a delicious flavour. The garrison lies 50 leagues n. w. of the capital Guadiana.
Cerros, San Felipe de los, a settlement of the head settlement of Uruapa, and alcaldia mayor of Valladolid, in the province and bishopric of Mcchoacan. It contains 26 families of Indians, and lies eight leagues to the e. of its head settlement, and 10 from the capital.
CESARA, a large and copious river of the Nuevo Reyno de Granada, which was called by the Indians Pompatao, meaning in their idiom, “ the lord of all rivers,” is formed of several small rivers, which flow down from the snowy sierras of Santa Marta. It runs s. leaving the extensive llamtras of Upar until it reaches the lake Zapatosa, from whence itj issues, divided into four arms, which afterwards unite, and so, following a course of 70 leagues to the w, enters the Magdalena on the <?. side, and to the s. of the little settlement called Banco.
CESARES, a barbarous nation of Indians of the kingdom of Chile towards the s. Of them are told many fabulous accounts, although they are, in fact, but little known. Some believe them to be formed of Spaniards and Indians, being those Avho Avere lost in the straits of Magellan, and belonged to the armada which, at the beginning of the conquest of America, Avas sent by the bishop of Placencia to discover the Malucas. Others pretend that the Arucanos, after they had destroyed the city of Osonio, in 1599, took aAvay with them the Spanish Avomen ; and that it Avas from the production of these Avomen and the Indiatis that this nation of the Cesares arose. Certain it is, that they are of an agreeable colour, of a pleasing aspect, and of good dispositions. They have some light of Christianity, live without any fixed abode ; and some have affirmed that they have heard the sound of bells in their territorj". It Avas attempted in 1638, by the governor of Tucuman, Don Geronimo
C H A
Granada ; situate in a beautiful and delightful country. Its temperature is hot, it abounds in cacao, maize, yucas, and plantains, and has some neat cattle and gold mines. The inhabitants amount to 100 families, and it is annexed to the curacy of its capital.
(CHAPEL Hill, a post-town in Orange county, N. Carolina ; situated on a branch of Newhope creek, which empties into the n.w. branch of Cape Fear river. This is the spot chosen for the seat of the university of N. Carolina. Few houses are as yet erected ; but a part of the public buildings were in such forwardness, that students Avere admitted, and education commenced, in January 1796. The beautiful and elevated site of this town commands a pleasing and extensive view of the surrounding country : 12 miles s. by e. of Hillsborough, and 472 s.w. of Philadelphia. Lat. 35° 56' n. Long. 79° 2' w.)
CHAPIGANA, a fort of the province and government of Darien, and kingdom of Tierra Firme, built upon a long strip of land, or point, formed by the great river of Tuira. There is also a small fort of the same name in a little gulf, and nearly closed at the entrance, behind the fort of San Miguel, in the S. sea.
CHAPUARE, a river of the province and government of Moxos in the kingdom of Quito, rises in the mountains of Cacao, which are upon the shore of the river Madera ; runs w. forming a curve, and enters the latter river, just where the Ytenes and Marmore also become united.
CHAPULTEPEC, a settlement of the alcaldia mayor of Corjoacan in Nueva España ; situate on the skirt of a mountainous eminence, on which are the castle and palace Avhich were the residence of the viceroys until they made their public entries into Mexico. Here are beautiful saloons and charming gardens, bedecked with all sorts of delicate flowers ; also a wood of branching savins, which was filled Avith stags and rabbits, and an abundant supply of water to render the soil fertile ; although, independently of a large and deep pool, it is also intersected by several streams, which, through canals, are carried to supply the s. part of
the city of Mexico. Its inhabitants amount to 40 families of Indians, in the district of the parish of a convent of St. Francis, with certain families of Spaniards and Mustecs, embodied with the parish of Vera Cruz of Mexico ; from Avheuce this is distant one league to the w. s.w.
Chapultepec, with the dedicatory title of San Juan, another settlement of the district and head settlement of Tlacoluca, and alcaldia mayor of Xalapa, in the same kingdom ; founded between four mountains, the skirts of Avhich form a circle round it. It contains 100 families of Indians, including those of the settlement of Paztepec, close to it. Although its population was formerly thought to amount to 500 families, no cause can be assigned for the present diminution ; notAvithstanding the elder people affirm, that this is a judgment of God for their having caused so many sorrows and anxieties to the poor curate, who had laboured so hard and with such zeal to convert them from their idolatry : certain it is, they are now extremely humble and docile. It is tAvo leagues n. e. of its capital.
Chapultepec, another, with the same dedicatory title of San Juan, in the head settlement of the town of Marquesado, and alcaldia mayor of Quatro Villas. It contains 25 families of Indians, Avho occupy themselves in the cultivation of cochineal, wheat, maize, fruits, woods, coal, lime-stone, and timber. It is a little more than a mile to the s. u\ of its capital.
CHAPULUACAN, a settlement of the jurisdiction and alcaldia mayor of Valles in Nueva Espana ; situate on the skirt of a very lofty sierra ; is of a mild temperature, and produces maize, cotton, bees-Avax, and honey, and large cattle. It is annexed to the curacy of Tamzunchale, contains 58 families of Indians, and lies 38 leagues from its capital.
.3 A 2
COROICO, a settlement of the province and eorregimiento of Cicasica in Peru ; situate on the shore of the river of its name, where there is a port for small vessels. This river rises in the cordillera of Ancuma, to the s. of the settlement of Palca, and to the e. of the city of La Paz. It runs in a very rapid course to the e. and forming a curve turns n. and enters the w. side of the Beni, in lat. 16° 50' s.
CORONA-REAL, a city of the province of Guayana, and government of Curaana, founded on the shores of the river Orinoco in 1759, by the Rear-Admiral Don Joseph de Iturriaga, for which purpose he assembled together some wandering people of the provinces of Caracas and Barcelona. At present, however, it is as it were desert and abandoned, since its inhabitants have returned to their former savage state of life, having been constantly pursued and harassed by the Charibes Indians, against whom they could no longer maintain their ground, after that the king’s garrison had been withdrawn, and since, owing to the distance at which they were situate from the capital, it was in vain for them to look for any succour from that quarter.
C O R
dians, and to its district belong nine other settlements. It lies one league to the n. of its capital.
COROPA, a spacious country of the province and government of Guayana, which extends itself between the river Coropatuba to the s. w. the Maranon to the s. the Avari to the e. the mountains of Oyacop of the Charibes Indians to the n. and the mountains of Dorado or Manoa to the n.w. The whole of its territory is, as it were, unknown. The Portuguese possess the shores of the Maranon and the sea-coast as far as the bay of Vicente Pinzon ; the Dutch of the colony of Surinam, by the river Esequevo or Esquivo, called also Rupununi, have penetrated as far as the Maranon, by the river Paranapitinga. The mountains, which some have represented as being full of gold, silver, and precious stones, sparkling in the rays of the sun, are merely fables, which, at the beginning of the conquests, deceived many who had gone in search of these rich treasures, and fell a sacrifice to the fatigues and labours which they experienced in these dry and mountainous countries. The Portuguese have constructed here two forts, called Paru and Macapa. Mr. De la Martiniere, with his usual want of accuracy, says that the Portuguese have a settlement called Coropa, at the mouth of the river Coropatuba, where it enters the Maranon ; the Coropatuba joins the Maranon on the n. side, in the country of Coropa, and at the settlement of this name ; this settlement being nothing more than a small fort, and lying in the province of Topayos, on the s. shore of the Maranon, and being known by the name ofCurupa, in the chart published in 1744, and in that of the Father Juan Magnin, in 1749.
COROPATUBA. See Curupatuba.