The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
and government of Neyba in the kingdom of Granada. It rises in the paramo or mountain desert ofQuindiu, traverses and waters the valleys of Las Lanzas, and unites itself witli that of San Juan, taking the name of Coello, from a Spaniard of this name having been drowned in it. It then enters the Magdalena.
COMBINCUMA, a spacious, and but little known country of the kingdom of Quito. It is full of woods, in which there are many wild beasts and snakes of various kinds, and it is watered by many rivers, all of which enter the s. side of the Maranon. Amongst the various nations which inhabit it is that of the Tontones.
COMBITA, a settlement of the province and corregirniento oi Tunja in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada. It is of a cold temperature, and produces the fruits corresponding with its climate. It contains 100 house-keepers, and as many other Indians, and is two leagues to the n. zo. of its capital.
(COMFORT Point is the s. easternmost part of Elizabeth City county in Virginia, formed by James river at its mouth in Chesapeak bay. Point Comfort lies 19 miles w. by n. of cape Henry.] Comfort Point, another point, which is also
of the same coast and province as the former, and within that bay, being one of the points which form the entrance of the river York.
COMICHIGELES, Sierra de, in the province and government of Tucumán, and bounded by the sierra of Cuyo, in the kingdom of Chile. It runs from 5. s. e. on the shore of the Concara, and in fact follows the course of that river.
COMO-LEWU, or Rio de los Sauces, called also Gran Desaguadero. See Sauces.
COMONDU, San Joseph de, a settlement of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits in the province of California ; situate near the sea-coast, between the settlements of La Concepcion and San Francisco Xavier.
C R U
C R U
vince and government of Buenos Ayres, founded in ]629, in lat. 29° 29' 1" 5.] t])Cruz, Santa, an island oftheN. sea,^one of the Antilles, 22 leagues long and five wide. Its territory is fertile, but the air unhealthy at certain seasons, from the low situation. It has many rivers, streams, and fountains, with three very good and convenient ports. It was for a long while desert, until some English settled themselves in it, and began to cultivate it; afterwards the French possessed themselves of it, in 1650, and sold it the following year to the knights of Malta, from whom it was bought, in 1664, by the West India company. In 1674, it was incorporated with the possessions of the crown by the king of France. Its inhabitants afterwards removed to the island of St. Domingo, demolished the forts, and sold it to a company of Danes, of Copenhagen, who now possess it. It was the first of the Antilles which was occupied by the Spaniards ; is SO leagues
from the island of St. Christopher’s, eight from Puertorico, six from that of Boriquen, and five from that of St. Thomas. It abounds in sugars cane and tobacco, as also in fruits, which render it very delightful. [It is said to produce SO, 000 or 40,000 hhds. of sugar annually, and other W. India commodities, in tolerable plenty. It is in a high state of cultivation, and has about 3000 white inhabitants and 30,000 slaves. A great proportion of the Negroes of this island have embraced Christianity, under the Moravian missionaries, whose influence has been greatly promotive of its prosperity.
The official value of the Imports and Exports of Santa Cruz were, in
1809, imports ^^435,378, exports ^ig84,964.
1810, 422,033, 89,949.
And the quantities of the principal articles im--
ported into Great Britain were, in
Santa Cruz is in lat. 70° 44' n. Long. 64° 43' w. See West Indies.]
Cruz, Santa, a small island in the straits ©f Magellan, opposite cape Monday. The Admiral Pedro Sarmiento took possession of it for the crown of Spain, that making the tenth time of its being captured.
Cruz, Santa, a sand -bank or islet near the n. coast of the island of Cuba, and close to the sandbank of Cumplido.
Cruz, Santa, a point of the coast of the province and government of Honduras, called Triunfo de la Cruz, (Triumph of the Cross), between the port of La Sal and the river Tian, SO leagues from the gulf, in lat. 15° 40'.
Cruz, Santa, a port of the coast which lies between the river La Plata and the straits of Magellan. On one side it has the Ensenada Grande, or Large Bay, and on the other the mountain of Santa Ines. Lat. 50° 10' s.
==Cruz, Santa, a river of the coastwhich lies between the river La Plata and the straits of Magellan. It runs into the sea.
Cruz, Santa, a small river of the province and captainship of Los Ilheos in Brazil. It rises near the coast, runs e. and enters the sea between the Grande and the Dulce, opposite the shoals ofS. Antonio.
Cruz, Santa, another, of the province and captainship of Seara in the same kingdom. It rises near the coast, runs n. and enters the sea between the point of Palmeras and that of Tortuga,
Cruz, Santa, a cape or point of the coast of thx