The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
It is distant 30 leagues to the n. of Tunja, and eight from the town of Suata.
CAPIUARI, a small river of the province and captainship of San Vincente in Brazil. It rises in the mountains near the coast, runs almost directly from e. to w. and enters the Harihambu or Tiete, between the Piraciacaba and Jundiaya.
Capiuari, another river of the province and government of the Chiquitos Indians, and in the kingdom of Peru ; it rises to the s. e. of the settlement of San Rafael, runs to the n. and enters the Ytenes with a slight inclination to the n. w.
CAPLITOILGUA, an island of the N. sea, in the straits De Magellan, one of those which form the s. coast, at the mouth of the canal of St. Isidro.
Caplitoilgua, a bay in the former island.
Capot, a bay on the coast of the same island, on its n. w. side, between the town of Carbet and the bay of Giraumont.
CAPUCINS, Morne des, or Morro de los
Capuchinos, a mountain of the island of Martinique, at the back of the city of fort Royal.
CAPUE, with the addition of Baxo (low), to distinguish it ; another settlement of the same island and dominion as the former.
CAPUIO, a small settlement of the head settlement of Etuquaro, and alcaldía mayor of Valladolid, in the province and bishopric of Mechoacán ; in which district there are some cultivated lands, and in these, as well as in the settlement, reside some Spanish families, and some of the Mustees and Indians, who gain their livelihood in tilling the ground, in making lime, and cutting wood. Four leagues w. of its capital.
CAPULA, a village of a small settlement of the head settlement and alcaldía mayor of Zultepec in Nueva España ; situate in the cleft or hollow part of a mountain covered with trees ; its inhabitants, who consist of 63 Indian families, make charcoal and timber, these being the articles of their commerce.
CAPULALPA, San Simon de, a small settlement of the head settlement and alcaldía mayor of Tezcoco in Nueva España, situate on the top of a hill; it has a very good convent of Franciscans, and contains 75 families of Spaniards, Mulattoes, and Mustees, and 196 of Indians : its territory is very fertile, and the most luxuriant of any in the same jurisdiction ; notwithstanding there is a lack of moisture, there being no running streams. They are used to gather most abundant crops of wheat, maize, barley, vetches, beans, and French beans ; they have large breeds of hogs, both in the village and in the farms and neighbouring fattening stalls, which they carry for sale to Mexico, to La Puebla, and other parts. One league n. of its capital.
CAPULUAC, San Bartolome de, a head settlement of the alcaldia mayor of Metepec in Nueva España; it contains 524 Indian families, including those who inhabit the wards of its district, and it is two leagues to the s. e. of its capital.
COLATPA, a settlement of the head settlement of Olinalá, and alcald'in mayor of TIapa, in Nueva Espana. It contains 29 families of Indians, who employ themselves in the commerce of chia, a v/hite medicinal earth, and cochineal, which abound in their territory : n. w. of its head settlement.
COLAZA, a small and ancient province, extremely fertile and delightful, belonging at the present day to the province of Popayán in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada. It was discovered by Sebastian de Benalcazar in 1536. Its inhabitants, who were a warlike and cruel race, are entirely extirpated.
COLCHA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento oi Lipes, and archbishopric of Charcas, in Peru. It was formerly the capital, and preserves in its cluirch an image of the blessed virgin, sent thither by the Emperor Charles V. It is now annexed to the curacy of San Christoval.
COLCHAGUA, a province and^ corregimiento of the kingdom of Chile ; bounded on the e. by the cordillera Nevada ; s. by the province of Maule, the river Teno serving as the boundary ; and w. by the sea. It is 40 leagues in length from e. to w. and 32 in width from n. to s. Here are some gold mines, and there were several others, the working of which has been discontinued : here are also some copper mines. It abounds in wheat, large and small cattle, horses and mules. In a part called Cauquencs are some hot baths, which arc much frequented, from the salutary affects they produce, especially upon those affected with the French disease, leprosy, spots on the skin, or wounds. The inhabitants of this province amount to 15,000 souls, and its capital is the town of San Fernando.
COLCHAGUA, a settlement of this province and corregimiento, which is the head of a curacy of another, and contains four chapels of ease.
(COLCHESTER, a township in Ulster county. New York, on the Popachton branch of Delaware river, s. w. of Middletown, and about 50 miles s. w. by s. of Cooperstown. By the state census of 1796, 193 of its inhabitants are electors.)
(Colchester, a large township in New London county, Connecticut, seltled in 1701 ; about 15 miles tc. of Norwich, 25 s. e. of Hartford, and 20 n. w. of New London city. It is in contemplation to have a post-office established in this town.)
(Colchester, a post-town in Fairfax county, Virginia ; situate on the n. e. bank of Ocquoquam creek, three or four miles from its confluence with the Potowmack ; and is here about 100 yards wide, and navigable for boats. It contains about 40 houses, and lies 16 miles s. w. of Alexandria, 106 n. by e. of Richmond, and 172 from Philadelphia.)
(Colchester River, Nova Scotia. See CoheQUIT.)