530

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Here you can see all page revisions and compare the changes have been made in each revision. Left column shows the page title and transcription in the selected revision, right column shows what have been changed. Unchanged text is highlighted in white, deleted text is highlighted in red, and inserted text is highlighted in green color.

4 revisions
kmr3934 at Oct 19, 2018 09:15 PM

530

530

C R A

C R A

Oaxaca. It contains only 20 families of Indians,
wbo live by the cultivation of the cochineal plant
and seeds.

COZCATLAN, a settlement and head settle
ment of the alcaldia mayor of Tasco in Nueva
Espana. It contains 200 families of Indians, and
is five leagues c. of its capital.

COZEL, a settlement of the jurisdiction and
aknld'ia mayor of Culiacan in Nueva Espaila.

COZINAS, a bay of the coast of the province
and government of Yucatán.

COZINERA, a shoal of rocks on the coast of
the S. sea, of the province and government of
Tierra Firme, very near the point of Paytilla, in
the bay of Panama.

COZOCOZONQUE, a settlement of the head
settlement of Puxmecatan, and alcaldia mayor of
ViUalta, in Nueva Espana. It is of a hot tem
perature, contains 85 families of Indians, and is
29 leagues to the e. of its capital.

COZTLA, San Miguel de, a settlement of
the head settlement of Coronango, and alcaldia
mayor of Cholula, in Nueva Espana. It contains
48 families of Indians, and is two leagues to the n.
of the capital.

COZUMEL, an island of the N. sea, opposite
the e. coast of Yucatan, to the province and go
vernment of which it belongs. It is 10 leagues
long n. w.f s. w. and from four to five wide. It is
fertile, and abounds in fruit and cattle, and is
covered with shady trees. The Indians call it Cu
zamel, which in their language signifies the island
of swallows. Here was the most renowned sanc
tuary of any belonging to the Indians in this pro
vince, and a noted pilgrimage, and the remains of
some causeways over which the pilgrims used to
pass. It was discovered by the Captain Juan de
Grijalba in 1518, and the Spaniards gave it the
name of Santa Cruz, from a cross that was de
posited in it by Hernan Cortes, when he demolished
the idols, and when at the same time the first mass
ever said in this kingdom of Nueva Espana, was
celebrated by the Fray Bartolome de Olrnedo, of
the order of La Merced, At present it is inhabited
by Indians only. It is three leagues distant from
the coast of Tierra Firme.

(CRAB-ORCHARD, a post-town on Dick’s
river, in Kentucky, eight miles from Cumberland
river, and 25 miles s. e. of Danville. The road
to Virginia passes through this place.)

CRABS, or Boriquen, an island of the N. sea ;
situate on the s. side of the island of St. Domingo,
first called so by the Bucaniers, from the abundance
of crabs found upon its coast. It is large and
beautiful, and its mountains and plains arc covered

with trees. The English established themselves
here in 1718, but they were attacked and driven
out by the Spaniards of St. Domingo in 17^0, who
could not suffer a colony of strangers to settle so
near them. The women and children were, how
ever, taken prisoners, and carried to the capital and
Portobelo. See Boriquen.

CRAMBERRI, a small river of the province
and colony of N. Carolina. It runs s. and enters
the source of the Conhaway.

CRAMBROOK, a river of the province and
colony of Pennsylvania in N. America.

(CRANBERRY, a thriving town in Middlesex
county. New Jersey, nine miles e. of Princeton,
and 16 s. s. w. of Brunswick. It contains a hand
some Presbyterian church, and a variety of manu
factures are carried on by its industrious in
habitants. The stage from New York to Phila
delphia passes through Amboy, this town, and
thence to Bordentown.)

(Cranberry Islands, on the coast of the dis
trict of Maine. See Mount Desert Island.)

(CRANEY, a small island on the s. side of
James river, in Virginia, at the mouth of Eliza
beth river, and five miles 5. w. of fort George, on
point Comfort. It commands the entrance of both
rivers.)

(CRANSTON is the s. easternmost township
of Providence county, Rhode Island, situated on
the w. bank of Providence river, five miles s. of
the town of Providence. The corajiact part of the
town contains 50 or 60 houses, a Baptist meeting
house, handsome school-house, a distillery, and a
number of saw and grist mills^and is called Paw
tuxet, from the river, on both sides of whose mouth
it stands, and over which is a bridge connecting
the two parts of the town. It makes a pretty ap
pearance as you pass it on the river. The whole
township contains 1877 inhabitants.)

CRAVEN, a county of the province and colony
of Carolina in N. America, situate on the shore of
the river Congaree, which divides the province
into South and North. It is filled with English and
F'rench protestants. The latter of these disem
barked here to establish themselves in 1706, but
were routed, and the greater part put to death by
the hands of the former. The river Sewee waters
this county, and its first establishment was owing
to some families wlio had come hither from New
England. It has no large city nor any considerable
town, but has two forts upon the river Saute, the
one called Sheuinirigh fort, which is 45 miles from
tlie entrance or mouth of the river, and the other
called Congaree, 65 miles from the other. [It con
tains 10,469 inhabitants, of whom S658are slaves.}


Translation

COZCATLAN, Pueblo y Cabecera de la Alcaldía mayor de Tasco en Nueva España: tiene 200 familias de Indios, y dista 5 leguas al E de su Capital.

COZINAS, Ensenada de la Costa en la Provincia y Gobierno de Yucatán.

COZINERA, Baxo de Piedras en la Costa de la mar del Sur, de la Provincia y Gobierno de Tierra-Firme, muy cerca de la punta de Paytilla, en la Ensenada de Panamá.

COZEL, Pueblo de la jurisdicción y Alcaldía mayor de Coliacan en Nueva España.

COZOCOZONQUE, Pueblo de la Cabecera de Puxmecatan y Alcaldía mayor de Villalta en Nueva España: es de temperamento cálido: tiene 85 familias de Indios, y está 29 leguas al Oriente de su Capital.

COZOLCAQUE, San Felipe de, Pueblo de la Cabecera de Tenantitlán y Alcaldía mayor de Acayuca en Nueva España: tiene 51 Emilias de Indios, y está 10 leguas al E 1/4 al S E de su Cabecera.

COZTLA, San Miguel de, Pueblo de la Cabecera de Coronango y Alcaldía mayor de Cholula en Nueva España: tiene 48 familias de Indios, y está 2 leguas al N de la Capital.

COZUMEL, Isla de la mar del N, enfrente de la Costa Oriental de Yucatán, a cuya Provincia y Gobierno corresponde: tiene 10 leguas de largo NO, S O, y de 4 a 5 de ancho: es fértil y abundante en frutos y ganados, cubiervta de árboles muy frondosos: los Indios la llamaban Cuzamel, que en su idioma significa Isla de Golondrinas: era el mayor Santuario de todos los Indios de la Provincia, y a donde iban en Romería por unas calzadas de que permanecen vestigios en muchas partes: la descubrió el Capitán Juan de Grijalba el año de 1518, y los Españoles le pusieron el nombre de Santa Cruz, por la que coloco en ella Hernán Cortés, derribando los ídolos, en cuya función dixo la primera Misa que se celebró en aquel Reyno de Nueva España Fray Bartolomé de Olmedo, del Orden. de la Merced: hoy solo está habitada de Indios, dista 3 leguas de la Costa de la de Tierra-Firme.

CRABS o Boriquen, Isla de la mar del N, situada a la parte Meridional de la de Santo Domingo, le dieron el primer nomque en idioma Ingles quiere decir Cangrejos, los Bucaniers por lo mucho que abunda de estos testáceos, es hermosa y grande, y en sus montes y llanuras hay muchos árboles: los Ingleses se establecieron en ella el año de 171 8, pero fueron atacados y echados por los Españoles de Santo Domingo el de 1720, para no tener tan inmediata una población grande: tiene dos fuertes sobre la orilla Meridional del río Santee, el primero se llama Shenininghíbrt, distante 45 millas de la entrada o boca del rio, y el otro Congaree distante 65 millas de aquel.

CRAMBERRI, Río] pequeño de la Provincia y Colonia de la Carolina Septentrional: corre al S y entra en la Cabecera del de Conhaway.

CRAMBOOK, Río] de la Provincia y Colonia de Pensilvania en la América Septentrional.

CRAUEN, Condado de la Provincia y Colonia de la Carolina en la América Septentrional, situado a orilla del río Congarec, que divide la Provincia en Meridional y Septentrional: está muy poblado de Ingleses y Franceses protestantes, éstos últimos hicieron un desembarco para establecerse allí el año de 1706, pero fueron atacados y derrotados con muerte de la mayor parte por los otros riega este Condado el río Seivec, y su primer establecimiento fue de algunas fafamilias que vinieron de la Nueva Inglaterra: no hay en él Ciudad alguna ni colonia de extrangeros, transplantando prisioneras las mugeres y los niños a la Capital y a Portovelo: está en 18 gt. 10 min. de lat. Sept. y en 70 gr. y 10 min. de long. Occid.

530

530

C R A

C R A

Oaxaca. It contains only 20 families of Indians,
wbo live by the cultivation of the cochineal plant
and seeds.

COZCATLAN, a settlement and head settle
ment of the alcaldia mayor of Tasco in Nueva
Espana. It contains 200 families of Indians, and
is five leagues c. of its capital.

COZEL, a settlement of the jurisdiction and
aknld'ia mayor of Culiacan in Nueva Espaila.

COZINAS, a bay of the coast of the province
and government of Yucatán.

COZINERA, a shoal of rocks on the coast of
the S. sea, of the province and government of
Tierra Firme, very near the point of Paytilla, in
the bay of Panama.

COZOCOZONQUE, a settlement of the head
settlement of Puxmecatan, and alcaldia mayor of
ViUalta, in Nueva Espana. It is of a hot tem
perature, contains 85 families of Indians, and is
29 leagues to the e. of its capital.

COZTLA, San Miguel de, a settlement of
the head settlement of Coronango, and alcaldia
mayor of Cholula, in Nueva Espana. It contains
48 families of Indians, and is two leagues to the n.
of the capital.

COZUMEL, an island of the N. sea, opposite
the e. coast of Yucatan, to the province and go
vernment of which it belongs. It is 10 leagues
long n. w.f s. w. and from four to five wide. It is
fertile, and abounds in fruit and cattle, and is
covered with shady trees. The Indians call it Cu
zamel, which in their language signifies the island
of swallows. Here was the most renowned sanc
tuary of any belonging to the Indians in this pro
vince, and a noted pilgrimage, and the remains of
some causeways over which the pilgrims used to
pass. It was discovered by the Captain Juan de
Grijalba in 1518, and the Spaniards gave it the
name of Santa Cruz, from a cross that was de
posited in it by Hernan Cortes, when he demolished
the idols, and when at the same time the first mass
ever said in this kingdom of Nueva Espana, was
celebrated by the Fray Bartolome de Olrnedo, of
the order of La Merced, At present it is inhabited
by Indians only. It is three leagues distant from
the coast of Tierra Firme.

(CRAB-ORCHARD, a post-town on Dick’s
river, in Kentucky, eight miles from Cumberland
river, and 25 miles s. e. of Danville. The road
to Virginia passes through this place.)

CRABS, or Boriquen, an island of the N. sea ;
situate on the s. side of the island of St. Domingo,
first called so by the Bucaniers, from the abundance
of crabs found upon its coast. It is large and
beautiful, and its mountains and plains arc covered

with trees. The English established themselves
here in 1718, but they were attacked and driven
out by the Spaniards of St. Domingo in 17^0, who
could not suffer a colony of strangers to settle so
near them. The women and children were, how
ever, taken prisoners, and carried to the capital and
Portobelo. See Boriquen.

CRAMBERRI, a small river of the province
and colony of N. Carolina. It runs s. and enters
the source of the Conhaway.

CRAMBROOK, a river of the province and
colony of Pennsylvania in N. America.

(CRANBERRY, a thriving town in Middlesex
county. New Jersey, nine miles e. of Princeton,
and 16 s. s. w. of Brunswick. It contains a hand
some Presbyterian church, and a variety of manu
factures are carried on by its industrious in
habitants. The stage from New York to Phila
delphia passes through Amboy, this town, and
thence to Bordentown.)

(Cranberry Islands, on the coast of the dis
trict of Maine. See Mount Desert Island.)

(CRANEY, a small island on the s. side of
James river, in Virginia, at the mouth of Eliza
beth river, and five miles 5. w. of fort George, on
point Comfort. It commands the entrance of both
rivers.)

(CRANSTON is the s. easternmost township
of Providence county, Rhode Island, situated on
the w. bank of Providence river, five miles s. of
the town of Providence. The corajiact part of the
town contains 50 or 60 houses, a Baptist meeting
house, handsome school-house, a distillery, and a
number of saw and grist mills^and is called Paw
tuxet, from the river, on both sides of whose mouth
it stands, and over which is a bridge connecting
the two parts of the town. It makes a pretty ap
pearance as you pass it on the river. The whole
township contains 1877 inhabitants.)

CRAVEN, a county of the province and colony
of Carolina in N. America, situate on the shore of
the river Congaree, which divides the province
into South and North. It is filled with English and
F'rench protestants. The latter of these disem
barked here to establish themselves in 1706, but
were routed, and the greater part put to death by
the hands of the former. The river Sewee waters
this county, and its first establishment was owing
to some families wlio had come hither from New
England. It has no large city nor any considerable
town, but has two forts upon the river Saute, the
one called Sheuinirigh fort, which is 45 miles from
tlie entrance or mouth of the river, and the other
called Congaree, 65 miles from the other. [It con
tains 10,469 inhabitants, of whom S658are slaves.}


Translation