534

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Show Translation

534

C R U

(Crow’s Meadows, a river in the n.w. ter
ritory, which runs n. w. into Illinois river, oppo
site to which are fine meadows. Its mouth is 20
yards wide, and 240 miles from the Mississippi.
It is navigable between 15 and 18 miles.)

(CROWN Point is the most s. township in
Clinton county, New York, so called from the
celebrated fortress which is in it, and which was
garrisoned by the British troops, from the time of its
reduction by General Amherst, in 1759, till the late
revolution. Itwastakenby the Americans the I4th
of May 1775, and retaken by the British the year
after. The point upon which it was erected by
the French in 1731, extends n. into lake Champ
lain. It was called Kruyn Punt, or Scalp Point,
by the Dutch, and by the French, Pointe-a-la
Chevelure ; the fortress they named Fort St. Fre
derick. After it was repaired by the British, it
was the most regular and expensive of any con
structed by them in America ; the walls are of
wood and earth, about 16 feet high and about 20
feet thick, nearly 150 yards square, and surround
ed by a deep and broad ditch dug out of the solid
rock ; the only gate opened on the n. tow'ards the
lake, where was a draw-bridge and a covert way,
to secure a communication with the waters of the
lake, in case of a siege. On the right and left, as
you enter the fort, is a row of stone barracks, not
elegantly built, which are capable of containing
2000 troops. There were formerly several out
works, which are now in ruins, as is indeed the case
with the principal fort, except the walls of the
barracks. The famous fortification called Ticon
deroga is 15 miles s. of this, but that fortress is
also so much demolished, that a stranger would
scarcely form an idea of its original construction.
The town of Crown Point has no rivers ; a few
streams, however, issue from the mountains, which
answer for mills and common uses. In the moun
tains, which extend the whole length of lake
George, and part of the length of lake Champlain,
are plenty of moose, deer, and almost all the other
inhabitants of the forest. In 1790 the town con
tained 203 inhabitants. By the state census of
1796, it appears there are 126 electors. The
fortress lies in lat. 43° 56' n. ; long. 73° 2P
w.)

(CROYDEN, a township in Cheshire county,
New Hampshire, adjoining Cornish, and about 18
miles n. e. of Ciiarlestown. It was incorporated
in 1763 ; in 1775 it contained 143, and in 1790,
537 inhabitants.)

CRUAIRE, a settlement of the province of
Venezuela, and government of Maracaibo; situate

C R U

on the coast, between cape San Roman and the
Punta Colorada.

CRUCERO, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Carabaya in Peru ; annexed to
the curacj" of Coaza. It has a sanctuary where an
image of Nuestra Seilora del Rosario is held in
high veneration.

CRUCES, a settlement of the province and
kingdom of Tierra Firme ; situate on the shore of
the river Chagre, and in a small valley surrounded
by mountains. It is of a good temperature and
healthy climate, and is the plain from whence
the greatest commerce was carried on, particularly
at the time that the galleons used to go to Tierra
Firme, the goods being brought up the river as
far as this settlement, where the royal store-houses
are established, and so forwarded to Panama,
Avhich is seven leagues distant over a level road.
The alcaldia mayor and the lordship of this set
tlement is entailed upon the eldest son of the illus
trious house of the Urriolas; which family is es
tablished in the capital, and has at sundry times
rendered signal services to the king. The English
pirate, John Morgan, sacked and burnt it in
J670.

Cruces, another settlement, of the province
and government of Cartagena ; situate on the same
island as is the city, and on the shore of the great
river Magdalena.

Cruces, another, of the province and corre
gimiento of Paria in Peru ; annexed to the curacy
of Toledo.

Cruces, another, of the missions belonging to
the religious order of St. Francis, in the province
of Taraumara, and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya.
Twenty-nine leagues to the n. w. of the town and
real of the mines of San Felipe de Chiguagua.

Cruces, another, of the province of Tepe
guana
, and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya.

Cruces, another, of the province and eorregf
miento of Cuyo in the kingdom of Chile ; situate
e. of the city of San J uan de la Frontera, and upon
the shore of one of the lakes of lluanacache.

Cruces, another, in the same kingdom ; situate
on the shore of the river Biobio.

Cruces, a river in the district of Guadalabquen
of the same kingdom. It is an arm of tlie Calla
calla, which enters the Valdivia, and forms the
island of Las Animas.

CRUILLAS, a town of the province and go
vernment of La Sierra Gorda in the bay of Mexico,
and kingdom of Nueva Espana, founded in 1764,
by order of the Marquis of this title and viceroy'
of these provinces.

Page Notes

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page