534

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Here you can see all page revisions and compare the changes have been made in each revision. Left column shows the page title and transcription in the selected revision, right column shows what have been changed. Unchanged text is highlighted in white, deleted text is highlighted in red, and inserted text is highlighted in green color.

4 revisions
kmr3934 at Oct 19, 2018 09:19 PM

534

534

C R U

(Crow’s Meadows, a river in the n.w. ter
ritory, which runs n. w. into Illinois river, oppo
site to which are fine meadows. Its mouth is 20
yards wide, and 240 miles from the Mississippi.
It is navigable between 15 and 18 miles.)

(CROWN Point is the most s. township in
Clinton county, New York, so called from the
celebrated fortress which is in it, and which was
garrisoned by the British troops, from the time of its
reduction by General Amherst, in 1759, till the late
revolution. Itwastakenby the Americans the I4th
of May 1775, and retaken by the British the year
after. The point upon which it was erected by
the French in 1731, extends n. into lake Champ
lain. It was called Kruyn Punt, or Scalp Point,
by the Dutch, and by the French, Pointe-a-la
Chevelure ; the fortress they named Fort St. Fre
derick. After it was repaired by the British, it
was the most regular and expensive of any con
structed by them in America ; the walls are of
wood and earth, about 16 feet high and about 20
feet thick, nearly 150 yards square, and surround
ed by a deep and broad ditch dug out of the solid
rock ; the only gate opened on the n. tow'ards the
lake, where was a draw-bridge and a covert way,
to secure a communication with the waters of the
lake, in case of a siege. On the right and left, as
you enter the fort, is a row of stone barracks, not
elegantly built, which are capable of containing
2000 troops. There were formerly several out
works, which are now in ruins, as is indeed the case
with the principal fort, except the walls of the
barracks. The famous fortification called Ticon
deroga is 15 miles s. of this, but that fortress is
also so much demolished, that a stranger would
scarcely form an idea of its original construction.
The town of Crown Point has no rivers ; a few
streams, however, issue from the mountains, which
answer for mills and common uses. In the moun
tains, which extend the whole length of lake
George, and part of the length of lake Champlain,
are plenty of moose, deer, and almost all the other
inhabitants of the forest. In 1790 the town con
tained 203 inhabitants. By the state census of
1796, it appears there are 126 electors. The
fortress lies in lat. 43° 56' n. ; long. 73° 2P
w.)

(CROYDEN, a township in Cheshire county,
New Hampshire, adjoining Cornish, and about 18
miles n. e. of Ciiarlestown. It was incorporated
in 1763 ; in 1775 it contained 143, and in 1790,
537 inhabitants.)

CRUAIRE, a settlement of the province of
Venezuela, and government of Maracaibo; situate

C R U

on the coast, between cape San Roman and the
Punta Colorada.

CRUCERO, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Carabaya in Peru ; annexed to
the curacj" of Coaza. It has a sanctuary where an
image of Nuestra Seilora del Rosario is held in
high veneration.

CRUCES, a settlement of the province and
kingdom of Tierra Firme ; situate on the shore of
the river Chagre, and in a small valley surrounded
by mountains. It is of a good temperature and
healthy climate, and is the plain from whence
the greatest commerce was carried on, particularly
at the time that the galleons used to go to Tierra
Firme, the goods being brought up the river as
far as this settlement, where the royal store-houses
are established, and so forwarded to Panama,
Avhich is seven leagues distant over a level road.
The alcaldia mayor and the lordship of this set
tlement is entailed upon the eldest son of the illus
trious house of the Urriolas; which family is es
tablished in the capital, and has at sundry times
rendered signal services to the king. The English
pirate, John Morgan, sacked and burnt it in
J670.

Cruces, another settlement, of the province
and government of Cartagena ; situate on the same
island as is the city, and on the shore of the great
river Magdalena.

Cruces, another, of the province and corre
gimiento of Paria in Peru ; annexed to the curacy
of Toledo.

Cruces, another, of the missions belonging to
the religious order of St. Francis, in the province
of Taraumara, and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya.
Twenty-nine leagues to the n. w. of the town and
real of the mines of San Felipe de Chiguagua.

Cruces, another, of the province of Tepe
guana
, and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya.

Cruces, another, of the province and eorregf
miento of Cuyo in the kingdom of Chile ; situate
e. of the city of San J uan de la Frontera, and upon
the shore of one of the lakes of lluanacache.

Cruces, another, in the same kingdom ; situate
on the shore of the river Biobio.

Cruces, a river in the district of Guadalabquen
of the same kingdom. It is an arm of tlie Calla
calla, which enters the Valdivia, and forms the
island of Las Animas.

CRUILLAS, a town of the province and go
vernment of La Sierra Gorda in the bay of Mexico,
and kingdom of Nueva Espana, founded in 1764,
by order of the Marquis of this title and viceroy'
of these provinces.


Translation

CROSSIWICKS, Pueblo de la Provincia y Colonia de Nueva Jersey en el Condado de Burlington.

CROTON, Río] pequeño de la Provincia y Colonia ole Nueva Yorck: corre al S, luego tuerce su curso al O, y entra en el de Hudson.

CROUU, Isla pequeña cerca de la Costa del O de la Isla de Terranova entre los Baxos de Ranouus y la Punta de Foreland.

CROUUN, o Pointe a la Chevelure o de Frederic, Fuerte de los Franceses en el territorio y Pais de los Indios Iraqueses, a la orilla y extremidad del S del lago de este nombre en la Provincia y Colonia de la Nueva Yorck.

CRUAIRE, Pueblo de la Provincia de Venezuela y Gobierno de Maracaibo, situado en la Costa entre el Cabo de San Román y la Punta Colorada.

CRUCERO, Pueblo de la Provincia y Corregimiento de Carabaya en el Perú, anexo al Curato de Coaza: tiene un Santuario en que se venera con particular devoción una. Imagen de nuestra Señora del Rosario.

CRUCES, Pueblo de la Provincia y Reyno de Tierra-Firme, situado a orilla del río de Chagre, y en un pequeño valle rodeado de montes: es de buen temperamento y clima saludable, y por donde se hacia el mayor tráfico y comercio, particularmente quando iban los Galeones a TierraFirme, conduciéndose los efectos por el río hasta este Pueblo, que tiene por eso establecidas las Aduanas Reales, y desde allí a Panami que dista 7 leguas de uncamino llano: la Alcaldía mayor y el Patronato de este Pueblo pertenecen en mayorazgo a la ilustre Casa de los Urdiólas, establecidos en la Capital, que en muchas ocasiones han hecho grandes servicios al Rey: el Pirata Ingles Juan Morgan lo saqueó y quemó el año de 1670: está en 9 gr. 8 min. de lat.

Tiene el mismo nombre otro Pueblo de la Provincia y Gobierno de Cartagena, situado en la misma Isla que esta Ciudad, y a orilla del río grande de ít Magdalena.
Otro de la Provincia y Corregimiento de Paria, en en el Perú, anexo al Curato de Toledo.
Otro de las Misiones que tienen los Religiosos de San Francisco en la Provincia de Taraumara y Reyno del Nueva Vizcaya, distante 29 leguas al NO, de la Villa y Real de Minas de San Felipe de Chiguagua.
Otro de la Provincia de Tepeguana y Reyno del Nueva Vizcaya.
Otro de la Provincia y Corregimiento de Cuyo en el Reyno de Chile, situado al E de la Ciudad, de San Juan de la Frontera y a orilla de una de las lagunas de Huanacache.
Otro en el mismo Reyno, situado a orilla del río Biobio,
Un río en el Partido de Guadalabquen del mismo Rey no, que es un brazo del Calla-calla que entra en el de Valdivia y forma la Isla de las Animas.

CRUILLAS, Villa de la Provincia y Gobierno de la Sierra Gorda en el Seno Mexicano y Reyno de Nueva España, fundada el año de 1764 de orden del Marques de este título, Virey de aquellas Provincias que la dio su nombre.

534

534

C R U

(Crow’s Meadows, a river in the n.w. ter
ritory, which runs n. w. into Illinois river, oppo
site to which are fine meadows. Its mouth is 20
yards wide, and 240 miles from the Mississippi.
It is navigable between 15 and 18 miles.)

(CROWN Point is the most s. township in
Clinton county, New York, so called from the
celebrated fortress which is in it, and which was
garrisoned by the British troops, from the time of its
reduction by General Amherst, in 1759, till the late
revolution. Itwastakenby the Americans the I4th
of May 1775, and retaken by the British the year
after. The point upon which it was erected by
the French in 1731, extends n. into lake Champ
lain. It was called Kruyn Punt, or Scalp Point,
by the Dutch, and by the French, Pointe-a-la
Chevelure ; the fortress they named Fort St. Fre
derick. After it was repaired by the British, it
was the most regular and expensive of any con
structed by them in America ; the walls are of
wood and earth, about 16 feet high and about 20
feet thick, nearly 150 yards square, and surround
ed by a deep and broad ditch dug out of the solid
rock ; the only gate opened on the n. tow'ards the
lake, where was a draw-bridge and a covert way,
to secure a communication with the waters of the
lake, in case of a siege. On the right and left, as
you enter the fort, is a row of stone barracks, not
elegantly built, which are capable of containing
2000 troops. There were formerly several out
works, which are now in ruins, as is indeed the case
with the principal fort, except the walls of the
barracks. The famous fortification called Ticon
deroga is 15 miles s. of this, but that fortress is
also so much demolished, that a stranger would
scarcely form an idea of its original construction.
The town of Crown Point has no rivers ; a few
streams, however, issue from the mountains, which
answer for mills and common uses. In the moun
tains, which extend the whole length of lake
George, and part of the length of lake Champlain,
are plenty of moose, deer, and almost all the other
inhabitants of the forest. In 1790 the town con
tained 203 inhabitants. By the state census of
1796, it appears there are 126 electors. The
fortress lies in lat. 43° 56' n. ; long. 73° 2P
w.)

(CROYDEN, a township in Cheshire county,
New Hampshire, adjoining Cornish, and about 18
miles n. e. of Ciiarlestown. It was incorporated
in 1763 ; in 1775 it contained 143, and in 1790,
537 inhabitants.)

CRUAIRE, a settlement of the province of
Venezuela, and government of Maracaibo; situate

C R U

on the coast, between cape San Roman and the
Punta Colorada.

CRUCERO, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Carabaya in Peru ; annexed to
the curacj" of Coaza. It has a sanctuary where an
image of Nuestra Seilora del Rosario is held in
high veneration.

CRUCES, a settlement of the province and
kingdom of Tierra Firme ; situate on the shore of
the river Chagre, and in a small valley surrounded
by mountains. It is of a good temperature and
healthy climate, and is the plain from whence
the greatest commerce was carried on, particularly
at the time that the galleons used to go to Tierra
Firme, the goods being brought up the river as
far as this settlement, where the royal store-houses
are established, and so forwarded to Panama,
Avhich is seven leagues distant over a level road.
The alcaldia mayor and the lordship of this set
tlement is entailed upon the eldest son of the illus
trious house of the Urriolas; which family is es
tablished in the capital, and has at sundry times
rendered signal services to the king. The English
pirate, John Morgan, sacked and burnt it in
J670.

Cruces, another settlement, of the province
and government of Cartagena ; situate on the same
island as is the city, and on the shore of the great
river Magdalena.

Cruces, another, of the province and corre
gimiento of Paria in Peru ; annexed to the curacy
of Toledo.

Cruces, another, of the missions belonging to
the religious order of St. Francis, in the province
of Taraumara, and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya.
Twenty-nine leagues to the n. w. of the town and
real of the mines of San Felipe de Chiguagua.

Cruces, another, of the province of Tepe
guana
, and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya.

Cruces, another, of the province and eorregf
miento of Cuyo in the kingdom of Chile ; situate
e. of the city of San J uan de la Frontera, and upon
the shore of one of the lakes of lluanacache.

Cruces, another, in the same kingdom ; situate
on the shore of the river Biobio.

Cruces, a river in the district of Guadalabquen
of the same kingdom. It is an arm of tlie Calla
calla, which enters the Valdivia, and forms the
island of Las Animas.

CRUILLAS, a town of the province and go
vernment of La Sierra Gorda in the bay of Mexico,
and kingdom of Nueva Espana, founded in 1764,
by order of the Marquis of this title and viceroy'
of these provinces.


Translation

CROSSIWICKS, Pueblo de la Provincia y Colonia de Nueva Jersey en el Condado de Burlington.

CROTON, Río] pequeño de la Provincia y Colonia ole Nueva Yorck: corre al S, luego tuerce su curso al O, y entra en el de Hudson.

CROUU, Isla pequeña cerca de la Costa del O de la Isla de Terranova entre los Baxos de Ranouus y la Punta de Foreland.

CROUUN, o Pointe a la Chevelure o de Frederic, Fuerte de los Franceses en el territorio y Pais de los Indios Iraqueses, a la orilla y extremidad del S del lago de este nombre en la Provincia y Colonia de la Nueva Yorck.

CRUAIRE, Pueblo de la Provincia de Venezuela y Gobierno de Maracaibo, situado en la Costa entre el Cabo de San Román y la Punta Colorada.

CRUCERO, Pueblo de la Provincia y Corregimiento de Carabaya en el Perú, anexo al Curato de Coaza: tiene un Santuario en que se venera con particular devoción una. Imagen de nuestra Señora del Rosario.

CRUCES, Pueblo de la Provincia y Reyno de Tierra-Firme, situado a orilla del río de Chagre, y en un pequeño valle rodeado de montes: es de buen temperamento y clima saludable, y por donde se hacia el mayor tráfico y comercio, particularmente quando iban los Galeones a TierraFirme, conduciéndose los efectos por el río hasta este Pueblo, que tiene por eso establecidas las Aduanas Reales, y desde allí a Panami que dista 7 leguas de uncamino llano: la Alcaldía mayor y el Patronato de este Pueblo pertenecen en mayorazgo a la ilustre Casa de los Urdiólas, establecidos en la Capital, que en muchas ocasiones han hecho grandes servicios al Rey: el Pirata Ingles Juan Morgan lo saqueó y quemó el año de 1670: está en 9 gr. 8 min. de lat.

Tiene el mismo nombre otro Pueblo de la Provincia y Gobierno de Cartagena, situado en la misma Isla que esta Ciudad, y a orilla del río grande de ít Magdalena.
Otro de la Provincia y Corregimiento de Paria, en en el Perú, anexo al Curato de Toledo.
Otro de las Misiones que tienen los Religiosos de San Francisco en la Provincia de Taraumara y Reyno del Nueva Vizcaya, distante 29 leguas al NO, de la Villa y Real de Minas de San Felipe de Chiguagua.
Otro de la Provincia de Tepeguana y Reyno del Nueva Vizcaya.
Otro de la Provincia y Corregimiento de Cuyo en el Reyno de Chile, situado al E de la Ciudad, de San Juan de la Frontera y a orilla de una de las lagunas de Huanacache.
Otro en el mismo Reyno, situado a orilla del río Biobio,
Un río en el Partido de Guadalabquen del mismo Rey no, que es un brazo del Calla-calla que entra en el de Valdivia y forma la Isla de las Animas.

CRUILLAS, Villa de la Provincia y Gobierno de la Sierra Gorda en el Seno Mexicano y Reyno de Nueva España, fundada el año de 1764 de orden del Marques de este título, Virey de aquellas Provincias que la dio su nombre.